Pinz 4WD question

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

drewmangroup

Pinz 4WD question

Post by drewmangroup »

Hello all,
I have been having a problem recently with the 4WD on my 710M and would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Had the Pinz out for a little ride offroad last week. When starting, it shifted into low range, 4WD, and locked both differentials without any problem. When I finished and was about to get back on the hard road, everything went OK, except the 4WD did not disengage. I tried backing up a little and despite my best efforts could not disengage the 4WD. The lever was in the upright position, but the indicator light remained lit and the vehicle felt like it continued to remain engaged. Eventually (about 20 min later) while driving, the light went out and the vehicle felt like it had returned to 2WD. This has happened twice since. Any ideas??? Thanks

Drew
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Start by flushing the locker hydraulics.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
EuroPinz

Post by EuroPinz »

Jim is right. Read the following thread and you will understand from where more then likely your problem is coming.

viewtopic.php?t=2192

Regards,

Jacques
drewmangroup

Thanks

Post by drewmangroup »

Thank you very much for the advice.

Is this a project that a relatively novice mechanic would be able to tackle?
Foz

Post by Foz »

ya - a few tips

just like bleeding brakes - don't let any oil or other pretroleum product contaminate your brake fluid - use a new or perfectly clean funnel etcetera to add fluid

use a turkey baster with a bit of tubing on the end to draw the old crap out of the holding tank before you start - no need to flush more junk into the lines - pull the bulb off the baster when done sucking out the old crap and use it as a funnel to fill the tank with new fluid

add a tube on the outlet and drop it in a jug... flush several pumps of the handle through on each locker - while keeping the tank full - waht the jug level to know you have pumped a goodly bit through the system, and the tube to see that the fluid has started to come out clean - also check to make sure you got no bubbles in the outlet tube when you wrench the nipple closed.

do your clutch while you are at it
Foz
Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

Well while your at it flush the brakes also, same fluid (dot 4) almost same place same bat channel. And Much more important.
Foz

Post by Foz »

yeah and get me beer while ur up
Foz
Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

Somehow on the typed text I don't do the stoner sound too well, but here goes. Hey man, You up for this game? Yah man, I been up all week. :o :D It was much better in high school just before a game.
drewmangroup

Thanks

Post by drewmangroup »

Thanks all, very helpful!!!