In cab sound deadening material?

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

milesdzyn

In cab sound deadening material?

Post by milesdzyn »

Anyone know what the sound deadening material is that is inside the cab in some small patches? Mine has hardened to the point that it is brittle. It has been painted, tared and bed linered to a inch of its useful life. Thought I would try and find a big roll of the material instead of buying the pre-cut pieces, to save some cash.

Miles
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Summit Racing sells "Sound Deadener" material in sheets of various sizes and is self-adhesive. It's available from other sources also though the prices were similar. Kind of expensive but it does work.

www.summitracing.com

Hope this helps.

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
MarkPinz
United States of America

Post by MarkPinz »

Here's a link to an article I posted before the site got hacked with some info: http://www.shagadelic.org/VW/info/gmbul ... trir1.html
Just get in and go....
rollingpinz

Post by rollingpinz »

Hello

There is a similar material available through McMaster Carr. I used it on my K and it does the same job, but it's about half as thick.

Eric P
How would an ice-age end without global warming?
Foz

Post by Foz »

You might try this stuff... double it up with rubber cement perhaps:

item # 9709T39

http://www.mcmaster.com/
Foz
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

I found some very similar material (same thickness etc) here in Aus....it's a lead-loaded vinyl.

The material had the same "vinyl grain" pattern texture on the surface as the original factory material, but it was straight black unlike the original which was kind of "camo" in colour.

I overcame the problem by mixing up a similar colour in a vinyl paint which I sprayed on the new cut-out shapes. After it had semi dried I wiped over it with a solvent soaked rag which wiped off the raised top surface layer only leaving a damm close match to the original SDP material.

Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. The McMaster Carr EVA sounds good. And mineral filled vinyl, sounds like the lead filled vinyl profpinz described, will be the easiest. I also want to look at some closed cell neopreen I found on ebay. I have a feeling the cellular structure of the neopreen will do just as well and should have a longer life span, exposed to the elements. Maybe I can get some samples to play with.

Thanks again, Miles
Charles

Post by Charles »

Hey Miles,
You back that neoprene with a non-hardening adhesive and you got yourself a near ideal elastomeric membrane. Now, if it only had some weight you'd have a real winner I think. Sounds like a great idea, I'll have to look into that myself. Neoprene, who woulda thunkit. Should last a goot while too. Now, match that with some neoprene seat covers and it'd be stylish too.

Seeya
Best Regards,
Charles
('73 710K)
PS: Keep your stick on the ice
Foz

Post by Foz »

Mass is critical to damping panel vibrations.

Maybe try some of this stuff under a dense / tough liner material

http://www.greengluecompany.com/
Foz
MarkPinz
United States of America

Post by MarkPinz »

I've got these interlocking mats glued floor to ceiling in my K, made an improvemant. http://www.softtiles.com/?gclid=CMz7xsP ... GAodxxS4uw
Just get in and go....
krick3tt

sound deadening

Post by krick3tt »

I got some material from a roofing company. I think it is called self adhesive flashing. Comes in a roll, most is 12 inches wide, used for the edges and the valleys. Adhesive one side and alum foil on the other with a rubber like material between. Cuts with utility knife or scissors. Sticks like mad and really dampens the vibrations of metal panels. Paint sticks well so it can be painted to match vehicle.
Costs about $30 for a 50 foot roll. Did my mog and some of the pinz and still have some left over. More to do later, before I put down carpet in the cab.

Cheers,
Morris
Scottie
United States of America

Closed cell foam

Post by Scottie »

I have been planing to do some work on my interior and one of the materials I have used before is a sleeping pad from (evil)Wal-mart. It is about 1/2 inch 12 mm thick and is a closed cell foam. The color is light blue but it is cheap and handy. The stuff I like better is Minicell Foam it is available in up to 4X8 sheets and is used to pad kayaks and NASCAR cars. I have bought some from the Nantahala Outdoor Center for use in my kayak but may use it in the pinz instead. I highly recommend them. http://www.noc.com/store/item_10826.html Being a closed cell foam it wont get water logged and cause rust. And it goes on and stays on well with contact cement. It is available from 1/4 inch to 3 inch thickness. One other type of pad I have seen and may get to line my bed is what is called a dairy mat it is used in horse and cattle stalls it is 3/4 to 1 inch thick and solid like tire rubber my favorite thing about it is a 6ft by 8ft roll is only about $45.00 now that is purchased at my somewhat local farm supply store. I am sure if you had to have it shipped it would double the price. So those are my ideas I will try and post pics if I ever get around to actually doing it.

Scottie
Kiwibru

Post by Kiwibru »

I use cut up dairy stall mats in the back floor area of my 710M. Works well and takes the abuse of objects hauled while cutting down on the noise. I would put it on the upper bench area but it will not go unless I remove the benchs!
1975 710M
Foz

Re: sound deadening

Post by Foz »

krick3tt wrote:I got some material from a roofing company. I think it is called self adhesive flashing. Comes in a roll, most is 12 inches wide, used for the edges and the valleys. Adhesive one side and alum foil on the other with a rubber like material between. Cuts with utility knife or scissors. Sticks like mad and really dampens the vibrations of metal panels. Paint sticks well so it can be painted to match vehicle.
Costs about $30 for a 50 foot roll. Did my mog and some of the pinz and still have some left over. More to do later, before I put down carpet in the cab.

Cheers,
Morris
I bet it really does work well... asphaltic tiles would be as you say sticky, as wel as high density, and visco-elastic. A relly good material for damping panel resonances. Figure a way to cover the material with a durable outer layer [fiberglass mat?]. and you really got a value solution.
Foz