Exhaust Smell from Heater Vent....

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

hkmp5

Exhaust Smell from Heater Vent....

Post by hkmp5 »

Recently I have noticed an increasingly strong exhaust fume smell when the heat lever is in the down (on) position. Are there any other possibilities other than a bad heat exchanger? If it is the heat exchanger then can it be repaired? Any help would be appreciated :)
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

We have just replaced a HE on a Redbull pinz with the same problem.

When we got it off and on the floor, a quick examination revealed the alum matrix inside was heavily detriorated and punctured.

Dictating a replacement the cost is a bit on the high side, at about $1350 for a good used and prices hovering in the order of $2200 with gaskets and install the tag was $2500 no less!

Frankly at that price I was tempted to recommend a complete deletion and install a Webasto for heat source; but then the truck already had one! So it was install a replacement and leave it at that. Nice to have deep pockets!
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now
MASSIVE PINZ

Post by MASSIVE PINZ »

Hmmn, looks like I should take this solid model of a stainless steel heaterbox to the production stage!
It would certainly be cheaper!
Jake Raby
Owner, Raby's Aircooled Technology
www.aircooledtechnology.com
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Well Jake
I made up one unit in SS several years ago, and advertised it on this site at a projected $450 a pop. NO TAKERS or interest.

Best of luck
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now
cronapress
Great Britain

Post by cronapress »

Dennis. I am surprised that nobody took you up on that deal. Cheaper than "original" - and of course it should last a lot longer !!

Surely there's an opening for someone here ............... ??

Cheers,

Mike.
MASSIVE PINZ

Post by MASSIVE PINZ »

There goes that idea....
Jake Raby
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Jake or Dennis,

I would be interested in a ss unit if either of you decide to proceed. I figure it's only a matter of time until I'll need one.

Please keep me/us posted.

Thanks,

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
MASSIVE PINZ

Post by MASSIVE PINZ »

I made the model pretty much for my own use and never really thought about selling them..
Jake Raby
Kiwibru

Post by Kiwibru »

Jake, I too would be interested in one. My heat exchanger is on borrowed time having taken many a large hit from non-living objects! The thought of having to cough up 2k for a used unit is rather difficult to accept...but an option in Stainless Steel for the PNW is rather refreshing to consider.
If you do make em I will buy one especially if it's at a quarter of the cost of an original.
Bruce
1975 710M
hrafn

Post by hrafn »

Jake,

Stainless headers would be great too. Just take a look at what SAV is
charging for new OEM pipes right now :shock: .

http://www.swissarmyvehicles.com/showde ... 121110012/

and

http://www.swissarmyvehicles.com/showde ... 121110022/

That's a total of $1675.40 for both sets of header pipes. I hope they're gold plated!
Jay
W3PNZ
710K Kommandowagen
MASSIVE PINZ

Post by MASSIVE PINZ »

We already have a stainless set of headers and muffler, both are hand made and less money than the SAV arrangement. These have been designed to increase operating range and boost torque, not typical traits that work together!

I only await dyno time for these components and that will be sometime this summer as my new lab is clogged full of crazy parts belonging to whacked out inventors at the present!

My 3.3L stroker, big bore engine will also be finished over the summer, we'll see how many purists call me nuts when they get dusted on the trail and smoked on the highway! ;-)
Jake Raby
Lisaspinz

Post by Lisaspinz »

lindenengineering wrote:Well Jake
I made up one unit in SS several years ago, and advertised it on this site at a projected $450 a pop. NO TAKERS or interest.

Best of luck
Dennis
That is funny, I thought I was on your "waiting list" for the SS heat exchanger, it sounded good what with the ceramic coating on the outside...LOL looks like I waited too long :shock: Perhaps a deposit would have secured one...

Mike Barna - 712 with the completely updated drivetrain shipped to Michigan in 2004 - runs great, cold as ice.
712 M
Lisaspinz

Post by Lisaspinz »

nt
712 M