Tires....AGAIN

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

andy

Tires....AGAIN

Post by andy »

My 712 came with 17" wheels and Yokohama Geolanders. Like Peter said they are definitely "soft road" tires.

My question is: Would TRXUS MUD TERRAIN 33X12.50R-17 fit on the 712 or are they going to be too tall and end up rubbing?

I really like the Intercos but that is about all they make in a 17" tire. I can get Toyos/Nittos fairly easily and cheaper, but they would be way down the list as a 2nd or 3rd choice.

Anybody have any advice or words of wisdom? Thanks

Andy
Last edited by andy on Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

If your springs are weak in the front, the tire will rub on the gas tank guard. When you put some weight, on the front passenger wheel while making a right turn. Past that Mine never rubbed. Andy do have sharp rocks in your area? (flint chert)
andy

Post by andy »

I suspect they maybe a little weak. Depends on how I'm looking at it.
I'm thinking they will rub, but I'll wait awhile to make a buy. 7 tires is a pretty good chunk of change.

All of my regular off roading on the ranches involves either thorns (mesquite is particularily nasty) and sharp rocks. We have flint out the wazoo on most places. When the sun is at a low angle it shines, that's real good for finding arrow heads or atlatl dart points. Sometimes the road looks like it has glass sprinkled on it depending on where you're at.

All in all rough country on tires when you measure tire life by months instead of miles.
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

On the pic's of Scott's builds, he puts on cooper discovery, but I bet they wont hold up in your conditions. But they do have a 33* 11.50*17. My nitto's even seem to take a beating in the flint hills. No thorns around here
andy

Post by andy »

I can get Cooper's easily enough too, but ever since I've had that first set of Intercos, I've been sold on 'em I'm thinking on the 712 I could probably get by with load range D, but I am partial to load range E which I think helps when I'm also pulling the trailer.

Just curious did you know Nittos are made by Toyo? I use Toyos on my F 250 just because they are inexpensive and I can almost afford a new set of them every 8 months.

By and large I have been sorely disappointed with Goodyears. BF Goodrich has some decent tires. I had their Long Trails on a Z71 1/2 ton and they worked decently. But, I never carried or pulled the loads I do now.

On a clear day in the Flint Hills you can see Canada. The only thing in the way is a 3 strand barbed wire fence.
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

33.5" is ok, I run 255 85 16 Maxxis Big Horns on my 710M. 34" is max diameter.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Andy
The 33x12.50-17 would concern me only on the width. I was running 255/85-16 BFG on my 712 and many have used 285/75-16 without trouble. In the BFG line those tires are 33.2" diameter. As Erik said, the springs need to in decent shaped, fatigued springs could cause bottoming out. Also pay attention to the rim offset, as the tires may hit something while turning ( also because of the tire width).
As for the weigh ratings, many don't realize that a weight range C tire can rated enough for a 710, or 712 ( figuring a "C" is rated around 2500 lbs... x4 or 6 for total tires and maximum load per axle). When will a 710 have 5000lbs total weight on the rear axle, or 10,000lbs on the rear of a 712? But as it is, the tires that fit the Pinzes properly are all rated for the D and E range. Also what type of terrain you're operating in will dictate the range.... the more severe the terrain, the higher the rating will increase the number of belts ( or plies) within the tire that will resist punctures a little better, but these additional sidewall plies also stiffen the tire and cause a harsher ride with reduced loads. And on airing down, two tires of the same size and different rating, the higher rating tire's sidewall will not flex as much.

Soooooo, with either a 710 or 712 fully loaded , "D" rating from most all manufaturers is more than needed. Whereas, a 716 has a payload capacity equal to a 712, and "E" rating would be more in line, but not still required ( 2 tires carrying the bulk of the weight, instead of 4).

For your application, if the terrain is as bad as you say ( or you just don't pay attention to where you're driving :wink: ) E range would be perfered.

Dave
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
andy

Post by andy »

Jim and Dave, Thanks. I'm going out today in the 710 and if I can get off stupid this morning I will take pics. It's not the big rocks, it's the ones that are broken and at an angle. Much of the small brush even though it has stickers and torns doesn't bother the tires.

I have no qualms about running over cactus pads if need be. Catclaw doesn't do anything either, it's that odd mesquite or huisache branch that is laying there with the 3 or 4 inch thorns that are hard as nails that get you. They like to break off the branch and stay in the tire. Don't pull them out, unless your plug kit is ready to go!. The other big threat to tires is stuff that has broken off or been bush hogged and has now gotten hard. It loves sidewalls.

About 3 or 4 years ago BP (before Pinz) I had a rock eat into a sidewall and was lucky enough to get ( I swear this is true) 8 plugs in it to be able to drive off the ranch. Have I mentioned I dont like walking?

Width concerns me too. All extra width does for me is insure if there is mud that it gets thrown all over the sides of the truck and the mirrors. I'll tough out extra stiffness in favor of more sidewall cords anyday.

Thanks again. :D

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Andy, Would the thorns be comparable to hedge thorns? Dave, Would the load rating, apply to a dually as well, split the load of the back four tires?
andy

Post by andy »

Erik, it's been so long since I've been in Kansas I can't remember. I'm guessing you are talking about what my grandmother called Osage orange, the green hegeballs? I can't remember what kinda thorns they have. If I remember to take a camera I'll take pics today.

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

I keep forgetting you guy's date back to single cell organisms. :D Yes it is called Osage orange has green balls.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Erik
The rating for duallies is a bit different. First, tires intended for dual use, have 2 load ranges on the sidewall, one for single and another for duals ( lower). And among other things people don't know about on duallie setups are the tires also have a mininum dimension for the space between them. The truck manufacturers already know that dimension for the typical duallie tires, and the rims used on 1 ton pickup and it will accommodate them. For medium duy trucks and larger, the mininum spacing dimension is published right next to the rest of a tires specs. ( I had to go through all that when I needed special rims made to allow a truck body to fit over the outside of tires on a F700 ). The reason for the spacing is to allow the tires to bulge, and flex without touching each other, and keep small rocks from getting caught inbetween them to destroy the sidewalls

Erik712m wrote:I keep forgetting you guy's date back to single cell organisms. :D
Remember, Dinosaurs like Andy and I clean bipods like you from bebween ours toes :lol: :P
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
andy

Post by andy »

as long as it doesn't get to a single cell orgasim I'm still good. :shock: :roll: :lol: In for lunch, got pics, will show later.
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
andy

Post by andy »

I dunno what happened, but all of a sudden my computer won't copy pics from Photobucket. It will copy but not paste them. It's like it won't erase the clipboard.

Will have to try to do pics later.

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here