Here's an idea

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

pinzinator

Here's an idea

Post by pinzinator »

OK, before I get started, I am not a mechanic, although I do all of my own Pinzgauer maintenance...like that takes a genius. I've owned a 710 for almost 10 years.
I removed the air diverter assembly off of the air cleaner, as the climate where I live never requires the winter setting. Now I have a 2 1/4" hole directly into the air cleaner housing. I capped off the other end of the hose where it connected. Now for my idea...
Looking at the tin housing right behind the fan, I see room for a 2 1/4" hole to be punched in, right in front of the oil fill tube. Now connect an 8" hose from that new hole to the intake of the air cleaner assembly, and you now have a turbo effect. Yes, laugh if you want, this might be totally crazy...or is it??
The new opening I mention is right behind the cooling fan, so you would get some 'boost'. Of course there are things to consider, like the cooling effect on the engine, and whether or not the engine could handle the added aspiration, or added compression. The stock set-up may not work with this modification, but what do I know?
What do you guys think, especially Jim and the Professor? Yes, there are a lot of physics to consider if modifying like I suggest. This might also eliminate the lag that is so inheirant to Pinzgauers??
I suppose the worst-case scenario is to give it a try, and plug the hole if it doesn't work. This might cost $20 if you do it yourself. Any good electrician has the tools to punch the hole correctly.
audiocontr
United States of America

Re: Here's an idea

Post by audiocontr »

pinzinator wrote:OK, before I get started, I am not a mechanic, although I do all of my own Pinzgauer maintenance...like that takes a genius. I've owned a 710 for almost 10 years.
I removed the air diverter assembly off of the air cleaner, as the climate where I live never requires the winter setting. Now I have a 2 1/4" hole directly into the air cleaner housing. I capped off the other end of the hose where it connected. Now for my idea...
Looking at the tin housing right behind the fan, I see room for a 2 1/4" hole to be punched in, right in front of the oil fill tube. Now connect an 8" hose from that new hole to the intake of the air cleaner assembly, and you now have a turbo effect. Yes, laugh if you want, this might be totally crazy...or is it??
The new opening I mention is right behind the cooling fan, so you would get some 'boost'. Of course there are things to consider, like the cooling effect on the engine, and whether or not the engine could handle the added aspiration, or added compression. The stock set-up may not work with this modification, but what do I know?
What do you guys think, especially Jim and the Professor? Yes, there are a lot of physics to consider if modifying like I suggest. This might also eliminate the lag that is so inheirant to Pinzgauers??
I suppose the worst-case scenario is to give it a try, and plug the hole if it doesn't work. This might cost $20 if you do it yourself. Any good electrician has the tools to punch the hole correctly.
You would have to be moving pretty quickly to force positive air pressure into the bay. It may cool it slightly better. Cooler air = more power in much the same way as a hood scoop.

I wonder if it would be best to load a scooped port in there, say from a car stereo shop. Something that has a nice bevelled edge.
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I checked with a good friend of mine who is an instructor at Wyotech (Google Wyotech and see), and asked his opinion about using the cooling fan for assisted aspiration. Here is his reply:
<Don't screw with your homemade turbo. We had the urban myth-busted at Laramie regarding a leaf blower injecting air into the intake of a 3.8L Camaro V6. We had the car on the chassis dyno and baselined it without the leaf blower turbo; hooked the leaf blower into the intake and LOST 5 rear wheel hp!>
So there you go. Just like I figured, there's more to it than connecting a hose to a fan.
Douwe

Post by Douwe »

Even if you could get a higher pressure air supply with your setup, you would still have to find a way to get additional fuel into the cylinder. The carburetors will not add more fuel just because the air pressure is higher. Thus, if your contraption were to work, you'd start running lean.
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

You will be pushing in even more hot air than it gets from the main inlet. You would be better off finding a way to allow cooler outside air in,perhaps time for a snorkel.
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy