Help ID this bumper

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

djb_rh

Help ID this bumper

Post by djb_rh »

No, this isn't a picture of my rig, but it is the same bumper that came on my rig. Anyone know what it is and where it came from and how much it cost? I'm going to sell mine, but wanted to be able to properly advertise it.

--Donnie
jacksonpinz

Post by jacksonpinz »

Looks like T-Lo's
If you are lucky enough to own a Pinzgauer, then you are lucky enough!
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

The pinz was done by MR. Mason the bumper was done by SNF. I believe they ran $650.?
djb_rh

Post by djb_rh »

SNF? What's that stand for?

That bumper is identical to mine. I found a pic of mine:

http://www.me.com/gallery/#100016

If they were $650 new, I'd definitely let this one go for $400. It's in Chapel Hill, NC. I could probably ship it freight, but I'd guess it would be another $150 or so to most of the US. You'd pay actual shipping on that, and I'd be happy to get it on a pallet that is long enough for the entire thing (and would take good pics of it should it get damaged).

These things are *great* if you have a standard type winch. That includes pretty much any Warn winch *except* the 8274. That one WILL NOT WORK with this bumper as it needs a front mount, not a bottom mount. I had a custom one made for the 8274 since it came with the Pinz (and since it was 24V it seemed easier to make a custom carrier than to sell the winch and get another one).

No dings, but probably a few minor scuffs here and there. Definitely doesn't look to have been off-roaded significantly at all.

--Donnie
Last edited by djb_rh on Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I had one of those mounted on my previous 710M, and it was high quality and easily installed. Seems to me I gave $650 for it, or something near that. I've seen a few more on 712s. I could be wrong, but I think Eric Purdom made them or had something to do with it.
djb_rh

Post by djb_rh »

Sorry, just figured out how to get MobileMe to let me embed images on the forum. Here's the one I want to get rid of:

And here's the new one with the 8274 installed on it:

I did replace the stainless winch rope with synthetic and those are poly rollers on the fairlead to protect the stainless rope. The lights aren't wired or adjusted yet. This one is at least as solid as the one pictured above, probably more so. It also doesn't protect as well, but I just wasn't as worried about that. Going lighter seemed better for my use.

The angle of the photo is bad...it does still allow for a lot of air into the motor compartment. Just doesn't look like it from here.

--Donnie
Last edited by djb_rh on Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

I see no pic's. SNF Show No Fear Racing. Based Out of AZ I don't think they are around any more?
djb_rh

Post by djb_rh »

Grrr. Should work now. I hope.

--Donnie
locosmith

Post by locosmith »

Where did you get the one you've installed? I want a small one also, not sure of those big heavy ones..Loco

djb_rh wrote:Sorry, just figured out how to get MobileMe to let me embed images on the forum. Here's the one I want to get rid of:

I did replace the stainless winch rope with synthetic and those are poly rollers on the fairlead to protect the stainless rope. The lights aren't wired or adjusted yet. This one is at least as solid as the one pictured above, probably more so. It also doesn't protect as well, but I just wasn't as worried about that. Going lighter seemed better for my use.

The angle of the photo is bad...it does still allow for a lot of air into the motor compartment. Just doesn't look like it from here.

--Donnie
djb_rh

Post by djb_rh »

locosmith, I had a local friend with a fab shop build it. It's really specific to the 8274 winch, though. He could do more just like it pretty easily, but I'd need a few people who wanted them to make it worthwhile.

He would be willing to design one that was similar and could handle more standard type winches, too, but again we'd need a few people interested. I'd think he could do these style for around $300 plus shipping, but I believe they'd probably be shippable via UPS ground.

--Donnie
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

locosmith wrote:Where did you get the one you've installed? I want a small one also, not sure of those big heavy ones..Loco

djb_rh wrote:Sorry, just figured out how to get MobileMe to let me embed images on the forum. Here's the one I want to get rid of:

--Donnie
Just to point out. this set up probably weighs the same as the bumper Scott sells. :)
djb_rh

Post by djb_rh »

Erik712m wrote:Just to point out. this set up probably weighs the same as the bumper Scott sells. :)
If so, it's only because it has to for supporting an 8274. I also think it's actually a lot stronger than the one Scott sells. All the force on Scott's while winching is transferred through a single tube torsionally (well, two...one on each side). I'm sure it works, but I like having the force going through a thick angle piece instead a lot better.

And the more I think about it, I'm quite sure this is lighter than Scott's bumper by a reasonable amount. Probably 30%. Which isn't that much overall, to be honest, I admit. It's not worth doing *just* for weight savings, certainly. But if you don't care to have the extra tube protection, well, doing one of these is gonna be cheaper and lighter (and I think stronger, but I'm too lazy to go draw them both and do FEA to prove it).

--Donnie
djb_rh

Post by djb_rh »

Err, sounds like I stepped in sh&t quite unintentionally. First, AZ712DK, can you tell me for sure what the mostly tube bumper above is? I assumed it was "Scott's" based on what someone else said. If "Scott's" and "SNF's" are different, I apologize. If what I have is an SNF bumper and not "Scott's", well, again, my apologies. And I'm not saying the tube bumper pictured above is *weak* anyway. Not in the least.

What I'm saying is if you look at the design of the tube bumper above, all winching forces transfer from the top of the bumper to the mount on the Pinz via a tube on each side. A torsional force. The lever arm to create that torsion is a foot long or so, too. So your winch power is limited to whatever torsional load two of those tubes across a very short distance can handle. The two pieces of angle steel we have in my winch carrier (which should not be confused for an additional bumper as it really isn't much of a bumper) are going to be able to handle more load than those two steel tubes, IMHO.

So I don't know whose is whats, I just think the winch carrier I've got is going to be a slightly stronger winch carrier than the one I'm selling. :D

The one I'm selling is probably plenty strong, though. And it's a much better "bumper" in offering frontal protection all the way across. Probably at an insignificant weight penalty. Clear as mud?

I have to think we don't have Scott's bumper pictured here. The mostly tubular one I have above has no 1/4" thick square tube nor a 3/8" thick mounting plate.

--Donnie
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Donnie, Sorry I just ( ass out of me and you) every one new are forum sponsor. http://www.expeditionimports.zoovy.com/ ... umper.html

SNF and Scott's bumper are nothing alike. Mesa dude the pimped Pinz is nolonger on youtube.

And the one you're selling I don't beleive to be a SNF bumper as Jake has stated on this forum he built it.
djb_rh

Post by djb_rh »

If Jake built it then he did a nice job copying the one shown on the white 712 in my first post. They appear to be identical. I doubt he built *this* bumper since he sold it to me with a 24V 8274 winch that wouldn't go on it. He would have likely built something that would have worked with the winch he had, I would think. Unless he somehow ended up swapping out winches at some point assuming the 8274 would mount the same as other normal winches.

And yeah, Scott's bumper is gonna be hella-strong. It won't carry an 8274 without modification, but it looks like it might have the frontal surface area to drill the holes you'd need...

--Donnie