Moron

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

yaknowthatguy
United States of America

Moron

Post by yaknowthatguy »

Okay gang, time to admit defeat through stupidity and ask for help.

I just got my pinz, a 74 710m. Pretty happy with it so far.

The middle shifter (rear differential if I'm reading the diagram correctly) shifts no problem. The front diff and transfer case didn't. thinking they were just a bit stiff, I pulled on them pretty good....resulting in bending the handle, thankfully just a tiny bit.

I am brand new to dealing with hydraulic stuff on my own vehicle; most of what I've seen has been on heavy equipment and fire apparatus, where I'm not the maintenance guy but the operator/engineer.

I'm thinking the push rod is out of place on the cylinder in the dash. One, any hints on getting in there and finding out for certain, and two, any suggestions on making sure this doesn't happen again.....

I would be most appreciative. hopefully this learning curve is steep, but short.

- Jason

PS - and if there's any pinz owners from RMP in the Fort Collins/Windsor/Loveland area, please chime in or PM, be good to pick a local brain. thanks!
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

If the levers are stuck you will need to systematically pin point the cause.
Most obvious is to loosen the line on the back of the malfunctioning locker master and see if the lever will now move, if so then the restriction is either before or after the flexible line between the body and chassis.
These get plugged with waxy build up, hose rot, or rust.
Most problems are in the master or hose :wink:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Kirby

NOT an Expert. . .

Post by Kirby »

I seem to remember that if the handles are freezing up, it is highly suggested to replace the fluid. But to get them unstuck, not sure, as I have never had that problem.
Pinzing is AWESOME.
pinzwheeling

Re: NOT an Expert. . .

Post by pinzwheeling »

Kirby wrote:I seem to remember that if the handles are freezing up, it is highly suggested to replace the fluid. But to get them unstuck, not sure, as I have never had that problem.
I've had it a couple of times with different trucks. Like Jim said, loosen the locker actuator on the applicable axle and see if it works. If that helps, remove the actuator and soak it in a penetrant for a little and it will probably come loose. If you remove the actuator and see crystalized fluid, that's the issue.

edit: Actually, I just spoke to Jim and he meant the actual master. There are really only 3 possibilities for the locker not working.

1. Dirt in the line, or no fluid
2. Dirty or bad fluid reservior / master
3. Dirty or bad actuator

There is a possible 4th possibility, but it's pretty unlikely. It's possible that the lever itself is stuck or misaligned.
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com