Clutch Problems

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

goalsquid

Clutch Problems

Post by goalsquid »

Ok, I have only been a Pinz owner for 6 months. (1973 710M) I am trying to work out all the bugs in my vehicle in my quest to make it an awesome adventure traveler.

Today, my Pinz started acting up. I had not driven it for a few days. Today, when I pressed in my clutch pedal, she squeeled like a stuck pig. It did this all day. At this point my guess is the throwout bearing.

Then 3 miles from home, I am at a stop sign and BAM! The transmission engaged while I had the clutch pressed and the vehicle stalled on me. The clutch was no longer functional.

I started it in second gear and was able to shift on the fly into third and nurse her back home.

When I go tearing into this on Monday, what should I be looking for?
----------------
If you are not living life on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

1973 710M with aftermarket hardtop.
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Buffalo Eh? I'm originally from East Aurora. I know a great mechanic down there if you need one.

As far as I have read, you want to check for the clutch disc shattering. Otherwise its a couple hour job to swap them out. A little pricey though!
psychoman

Post by psychoman »

Could just be the release bearing exploded. I had to do my clutch over x-mas, not a hard job at all, I had the gearbox out and sat on the floor within an hour without a problem. Probably worth doing this before you order any parts - you'll kick yourself if you buy a full clutch kit and its just the bearing...
It aint what you drive, its the way that you drive it...