WTB: Pinz 710 side wood trim

4x4's and 6x6's, parts, services and goods for sale. Dealers posting vehicle ads must donate something to the cause.
MrGlenn

WTB: Pinz 710 side wood trim

Post by MrGlenn »

Hi All,

Im looking for the wood trim that goes in the sides. if you have a pair for sale, I am interested.
Thanks,
MrGlenn.com
1975 Pinz 710m
63rover
Canada

Re: WTB: Pinz 710 side wood trim

Post by 63rover »

I had a friend with wood working equipment help build a new pair out of white oak which won't rot. They are not hard to do. I opted for tung oil as a good water proof finish which I renew whenever it starts to look faded. Your old ones make a good template. If you need measurements I would be happy to do some. My total cost was around $100 for wood and a few beer for my friend.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

I second that; have them made at any cabinet shop.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

MrGlenn

Post by MrGlenn »

Awesome... Thanks for the feedback.

63Rover, may I get the measurements? My Pinz didnt come with them to be used as template.
Thanks,
MrGlenn.com
1975 Pinz 710m
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Search is your friend . :D
dim and pic are from 2 different post

Dimensionally: 2 1/16" across the base, 1" at the top, 1 1/14" tall

The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

I have same measurements that David posted and I have these ones (all within 1/16" of each other)
Just need a basic table saw
(not my note)
Pinz Rub Rail Dimensions.jpg
Pinz Rub Rail Dimensions.jpg (40.94 KiB) Viewed 3785 times
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

TechMOGogy wrote:I have same measurements that David posted and I have these ones (all within 1/16" of each other)
Just need a basic table saw
(not my note)
Pinz Rub Rail Dimensions.jpg

Wait a second.... Arent you Canadian!? Why is this drawing not in metric!!?!?!? :wink:
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

The hole is wrong. It is a "stepped" bore.The through hole is for 6mm bolt (1/4" or slightly more) and the the outer bore is drilled about 1/2 way and is large enough to have a flat washer seat in the hole. I'm not by my Pinz for exact numbers (TDs are different size anyway, but mount the same).

Also, the back of the rail has a groove cutout so the rail will sit flush with the body rather than on top of the shoulder of the rivnuts ( at least on the TDs... been years since I had a gasser :wink: ). You could do a slight counterbore around the holes for the rivnuts.

undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Dave is correct about the countersunk hole on the outside. The original holes I've dealt with were smaller than the washers I found, so I sized the countersunk holes to fit the washers.

When I've made 'em, I've chosen to countersink the inside too, again as Dave said so as to clear the rivnuts. IMHO, this leaves a more attractive end cut than a dado does.

I used Forstner bits to provide a flat bottom to the holes. But they only self-center on a pilot hole that is smaller than the hole required for the bolt shafts. This required drilling a small pilot hole (1/8", IIRC) through the wood, then making both countersunk holes, then drilling the pilot hole out to the proper size. It was pretty labor intensive. I expect the factory has a couple of custom bits.

The end cuts are more than 45 degree cuts, as shown in the American drawing. I cut 90 degree ends, then held them end-on into the chop box to make the cuts. (But then, I've got 1/2 thumbnail to show for that sort of behavior.)

My favorite material is well-seasoned treated southern yellow pine. I've got a 2x12 that's been sitting in my barn now for about 7 years, just waiting for the day. This old and dry, they'll take paint or stain readily.

By the way, it's easy to translate those American drawings into Canadian ones. 25.4000 mm 'eh equals 1.0 inch.
It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport. Fridjof Nansen
I hope to die in my ski boots... ...just not today. Me
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

When I've made 'em, I've chosen to countersink the inside too, again as Dave said so as to clear the rivnuts. IMHO, this leaves a more attractive end cut than a dado does.
Well, I never!... sooo you don't think GG is attractive...I'll have her leave a big fat diesel dropping on your front porch! :lol: :mrgreen: :P

63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

Well the dimensions etc. seem very well covered so I don't need to measure mine too.

I opted to not countersink the backside as the small gap does help the water drain and the wood stay dry. Mine come right off for cleaning and oiling as needed. Stainless steel washer and screws keep them looking new all the time.

Good luck with the project!

Cheers, Clive
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

David Dunn wrote:
Well, I never!... sooo you don't think GG is attractive...I'll have her leave a big fat diesel dropping on your front porch! :lol: :mrgreen: :P
Oh yeah? I double dog dare you. :mrgreen: Plus, the beer here is cold (at least what's left of it).
It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport. Fridjof Nansen
I hope to die in my ski boots... ...just not today. Me