Looking to buy 710K- anybody know this one?

4x4's and 6x6's, parts, services and goods for sale. Dealers posting vehicle ads must donate something to the cause.
BobbyD
United States of America

Re: Looking to buy 710K- anybody know this one?

Post by BobbyD »

I stalked this board for 12 months before I found my vehicle. I literally knew of every 710K available in the US and Canada. THEN EI bought all of the ones worthy (all of the ones west of the Mississippi... 6 or 8 of them) ... for the Thor vehicles.

I ended up getting a 710K with the hard top removed (the top is in the movie) from EI. This vehicle was one of the ones I was going to buy. It was in Washington state. The original owner said there was "surface rust only". When EI bought it, they could only use the top and the door tops due to rust issues. Scott did an EXCELLENT job of telling me what I was getting... and what I was not getting (like this is not a Jeep with air con)... and how much work I would have (foolishly, I did not totally believe him).

Since then, the cost of pinzgauers has only increased, not necessarily because of market, but because I live in Calif. We can only have '74 or earlier (might have changed to '73) and new registrations have a one time carb fee of ~$3K (if I understand correctly). And, if the person is not active on this forum and the forum members cannot vouch for the vehicle that is for sale... there needs to be 20 to 30 close focus images shared and likely a visit.

Speaking from experience, if you want a K and do not see one in the US/Canada, then you will have to bring one from the EU. NOTE: If you are in Calif... your options are further limited due to year restrictions.

I added images to show my before/after. I was very fortunate that I did not buy the vehicle from the original owner.
Attachments
It's only "surface rust"... EI's images easily told me otherwise.
It's only "surface rust"... EI's images easily told me otherwise.
Interior of RT Cab Wall.JPG (56.88 KiB) Viewed 6088 times
pinz left side angle.jpg
pinz left side angle.jpg (363.72 KiB) Viewed 6089 times
after a lot of insane work and love...
after a lot of insane work and love...
pinz left side rear angle.jpg (284.97 KiB) Viewed 6089 times
One of many images that EI sent me...
One of many images that EI sent me...
LT RR.JPG (66.51 KiB) Viewed 6089 times
1971 710K S
N2PNZ
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Nice to see it saved from the scrap yard. Now you need some wood rails made.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Nice job on making it into a "MK" - perhaps pull off the one bracket for the antenna tubes on the front.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Haf-e wrote:Nice job on making it into a "MK" - perhaps pull off the one bracket for the antenna tubes on the front.
Actually a KM... Platform is first M = 3 door platform, K = 5 door, then top.. :)
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
BobbyD
United States of America

Post by BobbyD »

@Vince Thank you. It was slated by EI for parts but I needed a project. I am torn re metal tube vs. wood for the rails.... and I want a rack on top rear for cargo/sitting on.

@Haf-e Thank you. re the MK conversion... I had no choice. I tell people that know enough about Pinzgauers to ask, that Natalie Portman stole the top. The other bracket is missing because it was in the way of the euro license frame that I had added. I need it back... or a new pair of singles... for the pieces of 3/4 PVC pipe I hide in the big tubes. The small 3/4 pieces hold my HAM antenna vertically (Ed Fong's DBJ-2) when I use it.

Though the point of my post is 710Ks are getting scarce. During the 80's the ones that came here were lucky! Many went to Yugoslavia.... where they were not treated tenderly (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yugoslav_Wars) and any coming from there now are for parts. Here, "normal" people do not take care of vehicles (military or otherwise)... or don't know how to. So, the local inventory keeps getting picked over.
1971 710K S
N2PNZ
BobbyD
United States of America

Post by BobbyD »

David Dunn wrote:
Haf-e wrote:Nice job on making it into a "MK" - perhaps pull off the one bracket for the antenna tubes on the front.
Actually a KM... Platform is first M = 3 door platform, K = 5 door, then top.. :)
After a good washing and copious use of 303 protectant... it is a '71 Pinzgauer 710KS (S= sport) :P
1971 710K S
N2PNZ
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

After a good washing and copious use of 303 protectant... it is a '71 Pinzgauer 710KS (S= sport) :P
The Pink Cow was never washed, the terrain just enhanced it.
The rub rail showed the dirt... it became tan, wipe the rail down and it was good for another year :wink:
Attachments
img-10s.jpg
img-10s.jpg (144.61 KiB) Viewed 6071 times

ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Post by ExpeditionImports »

Heading to back to the warehouse in Belgium after this weekend at the Allard show in Germany. You in the market for a 710K and can pay the $21,000-$23,000 price send me an email. There are many options. No need to offend but we get a lot of talkers and tire kickers. Go to out web store and put in a ticket with 710K purchase in the header.

Cheers,

Scott
Expedition Imports Corporation
Vallejo, California
www.expedition-imports.com
"You didn't buy a Chevy..." "Hows that Amazon tech support working out...."
BobbyD
United States of America

Post by BobbyD »

David Dunn wrote:
The Pink Cow was never washed, the terrain just enhanced it.
The rub rail showed the dirt... it became tan, wipe the rail down and it was good for another year :wink:
The Pink Cow is special. She is soooooooo.... nice. I would have bought that if I had the $$$$. Somehow you always get the special ones! 8)
1971 710K S
N2PNZ
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

BobbyD wrote:
The Pink Cow is special. She is soooooooo.... nice. I would have bought that if I had the $$$$. Somehow you always get the special ones! 8)
Thank you, she was special... I never dreamt I'd ever have another Pinzgauer after her, It's surreal that I was offered a "new" 718K... the circle of life, from Pinzgauer to FMTV and back to Pinzgauer... :? isn't life strange
It's a shame it went to Canada, as it was legally Cal registered... but I guess it's payback for the rare Canadian MVs I have. :mrgreen:

But the Pink Cow didn't show up on my doorstep that way.
TD Pinz 004.jpg
TD Pinz 004.jpg (69.85 KiB) Viewed 6064 times
I cringe EVERY time I see a Pinz with racks and bars bolted to the body like that... every fastener point had bad rust (beside the common Pinz places), hence why I went the 716KM way :mrgreen: .... much easier to do on a 710 or 712. :wink:

AdamH

Post by AdamH »

ExpeditionImports wrote:Heading to back to the warehouse in Belgium after this weekend at the Allard show in Germany. You in the market for a 710K and can pay the $21,000-$23,000 price send me an email. There are many options. No need to offend but we get a lot of talkers and tire kickers. Go to out web store and put in a ticket with 710K purchase in the header.
Done!
newtopinz
United States of America

Post by newtopinz »

AdamH, did you end up getting a 710k from EI?
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

eBay listing in Denver, I know NOTHING about this truck or the seller.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-STEYR-PUC ... SwGqNdiMO9

Probably not Cali titled. As far a registering outta' state trucks, both my Pinz'ies were not Cali registered.
The (71') 710 was AZ, and the (73') 712 never ever was registered since import 18 years ago. She was
a vineyard tour truck but mostly sat. Didn't pay a heavy DMV fee for either, the 712 was recent.

Though cautionary note -- your mileage may vary by your local DMV, it's not risk free. IMHO avoid going direct
to the DMV, go through an agency, I did in both cases. Their goal is to get you registered. The only thing special
I had to do with my 712 was get it weighed since there was no priors for it. Local quarry was happy to do that.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
newtopinz
United States of America

Post by newtopinz »

I saw that ad and called the company yesterday and was told someone bought it a couple days ago. It says sale pending on their website.
Thanks for the tip, I'm definitely looking for one road legal.