FOR SALE: 1987 Pinzgauer 718M

4x4's and 6x6's, parts, services and goods for sale. Dealers posting vehicle ads must donate something to the cause.
NM_Mogman

FOR SALE: 1987 Pinzgauer 718M

Post by NM_Mogman »

This is the write up I posted on a different forum, for full disclosure.

1987 Steyr Daimler Puch, Pinzgauer 718M 6x6

This is one of 20 Turbo Diesel Pinzgauer’s that were imported for the US Army’s DELTA Force. I am the third civilian to own it since they were decommissioned and auctioned back in ‘10/‘11 (not exactly sure when they auctioned).

I have owned this truck since July 2014. The original motor was rebuilt in October of the same year. I was always a little disappointed in the “feel” of the new motor. It just seemed to be struggling a little...

A few years later, and I decide I want to sort this out and hopefully gain a little more out of the motor. About February 2016 I take the pinz and a bunch of parts (24V Circulation Pump, Air/Water Intercooler, Turbonetics Super 60 w/ceramic ball bearings, Turbonetics External Wastegate, Turbonetics Boost Controller, 24V gauges for boost and pyrometer, Pyrometer, and Injection Pump with 12mm Elements, and Fuel Injectors set at 170 bar) to a local shop run by a Volvo Master Diesel Mechanic for an upgrade.

Nothing is ever easy.

***Keep in mind that at this point, I have ZERO mechanical training!!! I have done all that I have described below on the advice and direction from the comprehensive owners manuals!! (And a little help from a few friends 😜***

I am helping the mechanic set the IP, and it just isn’t right. After a couple days of this, we decide to do a compression check. The pressure was down to about 16 bar!! Time for an overhaul!!

After pulling the first piston, I notice that all the rings are spaced within about 1.5”-2” (total space, not each from the other)! Further inspection and, sure enough, same for all the other 5 pistons! Engine checked, painted and reassembled correctly.

First run was OK, but IP adjustment needed. Second run felt pretty good. Lower amount of smoke and good power...lets go it the freeway to the next exit, about 1/2 mile up. As soon as the light turns, I start moving in the right lane. I am on the ramp when, all of a sudden, WHAM!! The truck lurches, stumbles, and the power is GONE. I immediately kill the ignition, engage the hazards, and steer to the shoulder at the bottom of the ramp.

When all the way out of the flow of traffic, far off the rather large shoulder, I look to the right. Oil everywhere!! I get out of the truck and look back up the ramp and there is a HUGE spot of oil on the ground where I was formerly driving. I walk over to the passenger side for a look, since the entire doghouse is already removed, and what do I see? Oil. Then, I see a hole with part of a rod sitting next to it!

Nothing is ever easy!

I call my wife to bring me the tow bar and suburban. We slowly drag it home, staying at about 25mph. The next day I returned to the shop to gather up all of the parts that have been left there. Time to find a new motor.

I located two Volvo’s with the same D24T motor up in Montana. Time for a road trip! It was snowing up there and the owner was unable to extricate one vehicle from the snow. I didn’t know that vehicles froze to the ground up there! At least I have one whole car. I also get an email from a guy on the D24T forum who has a motor and bunch of parts already palleted and ready from a deal that fell through. I pay for that and have it delivered.

After removing all the wanted parts from the donor car, it is salvaged. Time to start tearing down two engines. One had already been to a machine shop and was mostly stripped and the other had a blown timing belt. I choose the better block and put it all back together with Raceware Head Studs. Have the rods tested, straightened and prepped for assembly as that was what let go last time.

Started right away! Set the IP timing and...low boost! After a little experimentation, and consulting with the experts, it is the turbo. It was too big for the application. I guess the guy at Turbonetics was having a bad day when he recommended that setup. I tried to call them to order a new hot side, but I guess they didn’t need my $$ enough to return a phone call.

Time to call my Subaru tuner to talk turbos. He puts me in touch with his friend that sells turbos. I give him all the engine info and let him crunch the numbers. His suggestion is the Garrett G25-550, which is cooled by tapping into the engine coolant system. So I order it up.

New turbo on. Time for a test run. Everything is strong and boosting to 25psi! No more slowing on the hills! At least the ones I was driving. I would have slowed to about 45mph before, so I was pretty happy.

Nothing is ever easy. (Did I mention that I am NOT a mechanic?😜

I take a trip to Santa Fe, about an hour north of the house, and a long, 6% grade. I was expected to slow to about 35-40mph, as I usually did on the same section in the past. I was able to hold at about 45mph, which was nice. But, at the top, I noticed that something felt a little off. By the time I got home, the truck wouldn’t boost beyond 4-5psi before falling off with big clouds of black smoke.

Nothing is ever easy!

Meanwhile, as all this was unfolding at a rather slow rate, my life was turned upside down. We had been spending the majority of our lives working on the house. The truck was slipped in when time permitted. We had many medical emergencies (not us) that took over our lives for a while. And stress from a couple pending legal issues (the guilty will do all sorts of craziness to avoid a judgement!).

Long story short: we weren’t enjoying our lives anymore. We were living for the house, and the lawyers. We can’t just allow the guilty to win, but we can sell the house. And we can shed all the crap that stresses us. Buddhists say that attachment to material things are the cause of stress and worry...

Let’s sell EVERYTHING! Let’s apply a minimalist mindset to our lives and see if we can find peace and happiness.

So, the Pinz is up for sale. I still haven’t figured out what the problem is (did I mention I learned all I have done from the owners manuals? LOL), but I did just notice, while gathering and photographing all the parts that come with the sale of the Pinz, that I accidentally installed the wrong injectors. I will get the correct ones installed in the next day or so, but that is about all I plan to do. I am not the most mechanically inclined person, and I think I am at the end of my mechanical knowledge. I am sure that the next owner will be able to sort everything out. (Anyone would probably have more mechanical knowledge than I do, lol 😜)

The sale includes a spare engine; block, complete head ready to go, pistons (need new rings in 1), gasket sets for top and bottom ends, three IP’s, several starters (2 are 12V and one 24V that burned out but the solenoid should be fine), NEW Racewear Head Studs, bearings, 7 NEW unmounted Yokohama Geolandar A/T GO15’s, etc...(see photos)

I am selling the truck, with ALL ACCESSORIES, for $65k. There are only a few of these Turbo Diesel Pinzgauer’s in the USA, aside from this one. I will NOT separate any parts from this sale. It is an All-for-one sale. I am getting rid of EVERYTHING, so no trades. I can’t deliver it, either. I do not accept money orders. I will not work with your “broker”. I will not be scammed

I can be reached by cell/text at 505-three3one-twenty one 20

Regards,
Phil
Attachments
05BA2C53-1BD0-497C-B69C-572251484C0A.jpeg
05BA2C53-1BD0-497C-B69C-572251484C0A.jpeg (827.11 KiB) Viewed 6152 times
C30B7AD3-82A0-4B20-A059-5A168BD26E7F.jpeg
C30B7AD3-82A0-4B20-A059-5A168BD26E7F.jpeg (709.69 KiB) Viewed 6152 times
0E210D11-2241-4A6F-A33B-DF8E8DE6A7E8.jpeg
0E210D11-2241-4A6F-A33B-DF8E8DE6A7E8.jpeg (790.81 KiB) Viewed 6152 times
6F9D1292-1399-483F-B741-15628C53FC19.jpeg
6F9D1292-1399-483F-B741-15628C53FC19.jpeg (708.69 KiB) Viewed 6152 times
22AD9C10-E04A-4D16-95B4-83858F7E9581.jpeg
22AD9C10-E04A-4D16-95B4-83858F7E9581.jpeg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 6152 times
NM_Mogman

Re: FOR SALE: 1987 Pinzgauer 718M

Post by NM_Mogman »

More photos
Attachments
Extra Cam for non-hydraulic Head
Extra Cam for non-hydraulic Head
32F2D9C3-32EC-4ECC-B851-401006150C68.jpeg (1.97 MiB) Viewed 6150 times
Two 12V starters, one 24V starter that doesn’t work and one burned out in pieces
Two 12V starters, one 24V starter that doesn’t work and one burned out in pieces
02969E40-C747-4769-A04A-5AD1BDF19E7E.jpeg (1.91 MiB) Viewed 6150 times
5E9CD5F2-0D0F-49C4-9B75-98CBA841B0B1.jpeg
5E9CD5F2-0D0F-49C4-9B75-98CBA841B0B1.jpeg (718.72 KiB) Viewed 6150 times
NM_Mogman

Post by NM_Mogman »

More
4Beast
United States of America

Post by 4Beast »

It's a really interesting story. Are people adding value to the former Delta trucks because of their interesting pedigree, I thought it was the opposite (genuinely curious)?
otherwise this is the comp https://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-Pinzgauer ... :rk:1:pf:0
pinzi
Belgium

Post by pinzi »

Well i have one of those engines sitting around here....i just keep it becouse its the original one from my 716k, but now That i have the 5 cyl 2.5 tdi i think i will never put it back in...the diference is just too much so is the fun driving it now :mrgreen:
So long storry short.....go for the 2.5 5 cyl tdi....you wont regret it.
off-road until i die
RPM

Post by RPM »

Whew that was a read. Cool truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NM_Mogman

Post by NM_Mogman »

Well, I don’t know if the pedigree from the DELTA days helps either way, but it is cool to know.

Pinzi,
How was the swap? Complicated, requiring lots of modifications? Does it lay over like the D24T, so the oil pan can be better used? That would definitely be a consideration, we’re i keeping it!
pinzi
Belgium

Post by pinzi »

Well....the 2.5 5cyl bolds right up against the transfer case.....but.....BUT.....the oilpan has to be modified, the left engine mount can be used form the 2.4 6 cyl, the right engine mount has to be fabricated. Now there is diference on witch doner car that is being used....mine came from a 99 v70 Volvo..... if you want to use the original powersteering pump from the pinz you need to put everything from the 2.4 on the 2.5....meaning the pullys, v belts , and so on.....i didn't do That.... i kept everything from the 2.5..... it has the wide/ flat belt....steeringpump can be used , and has a 165Amp alternator ....BUT if you do This you need to adapt the left engine bay cover as it will hit the 2.5 alternator. You can use the electric fan it fits right in the fan hole . Turbo needs some minor adjustment ......but IT can be done. The biggest diference is That the 2.4 6 cyl is a plane TD engine....the 2.5 is a TDI ( Turbo Direct Injection) and it has a electric controlled injection(feul) pump....while the 2.4 6 cyl dousnt have a electrical controlled pump.....so i had mine rebuild and made it a M-TDI....Mechanicle Turbo Direct Injection....so IT uses the high pressure part of the fuelpump and the mechanicle part of the normal feulpump...so no electric controlled fuelpump.....so no ECU or sensors to be used. :wink:
off-road until i die
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

4Beast wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:35 am It's a really interesting story. Are people adding value to the former Delta trucks because of their interesting pedigree, I thought it was the opposite (genuinely curious)?
otherwise this is the comp https://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-Pinzgauer ... :rk:1:pf:0
Big differences between the two. Thanks for the link.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
NM_Mogman

Post by NM_Mogman »

Yeah, that one is super nice!

Pinzi,

That doesn’t seem like it would be too bad to accomplish. I like that you kept it machsnical. I would probably have done the same. Well, I suppose I can just file that away...because, who knows?

After Tuesday, it will be off to a new home!

Thanks,
Phil
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Check out #32 on the Unimog Exchange
http://unimog.net/exchange/
Looks like your neighbour and your bang on re: price
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
CostaFabrications
United States of America

Post by CostaFabrications »

4Beast wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:35 am It's a really interesting story. Are people adding value to the former Delta trucks because of their interesting pedigree, I thought it was the opposite (genuinely curious)?
Yup the "comp" is mine . And still for sale as well. But im at 55k now.