New inventory of Windshields :) 9/26/2016

4x4's and 6x6's, parts, services and goods for sale. Dealers posting vehicle ads must donate something to the cause.
David Dunn
United States of America

New inventory of Windshields :) 9/26/2016

Post by David Dunn »

Edit 9/26/16. Fresh batch of AS1 DOT tinted windshields are hot off the truck. And if you're in SoCal you know they are hot! :lol:
The price is is $220.00. If anyone is going to Calico Mogfest 2016, I can bring pre -paid windshields or door glass set with me. Trust me, I won't sleep with glass. :roll:

Hello all,
For all those in the SoCal area, I've just re-ordered a new inventory of tinted windshields for the 710/12s, picked up in Arcadia.

Door kits for the front doors of M (or K): $235 ( 4 pcs.)
rear side and back doors for a K : $244 (5 pcs)
So a complete K is $479 (9 pcs)
All the side glasses are cartoned and shipable by Fedex ( UPS peeved me once too often :evil: , and no they didn't break any )
And, I'm sure there be the usual group of people to rave about the glass.... and packaging. :mrgreen:

Cheers
Dave
Last edited by David Dunn on Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
edzz
United States of America

Re: New inventory of Windshields soon ( in time for Xmas) :)

Post by edzz »

I received one of these tinted windshields from this guy that was camped near the Salton Sea (was a mogfest thing) :lol: , obtained a new gasket from Scott. :)

Worked up the courage to do the R&R with just a little help from my wife, start to finish less than an hour.
For disposal of the old windshield I put down a sheet of heavy black plastic laid the windshield on that than another sheet of plastic on top.
One rap from a 12 oz ball peen hammer than poured the pieces in a bucket. :shock:

Please anyone that still has the tempered glass replace it.

Thanks again David is well, really enjoyed shooting the bull under that beautiful star lit sky.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
HafWit

Post by HafWit »

Dave,
Did you ever come up with a Volvo C303 glass replacement solution?

Cheers,
Greg
HafWit
a.k.a. Phlyphysher, Greg, & Clamphysician
1967 Swiss Haflinger, 1975 Volvo C303
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Thank Ed,
Fear is the best way to approach a windshield replacement Though the Pinz is very simple, it just take a brief moment of cockiness to have an “OH $hit” moment. And no matter how much salt or seasoning you add, glass doesn’t make a good meal :wink: .. Somewhere in the archives is a write up on how to replace a Pinz windshield (which is pretty much the same as an old VW bug). And if someone want to bring their Pinz to my shop to pick up the glass, With their assistance, will replace the windshield. If a K, I will also assist with replacing the fix rear door glass, they can be a SOB sometimes with the zipper in the gasket reinstallation

Greg….I had gotten base prices for Volvo replacement glass, but there wasn’t any solid commitment to proceed. And since the tempering company I use closed, my next choice for the custom fabrication that has the DOT/ASA certificates is quite a bit more expensive, and I require a minimum of 10 set to make it feasible.

Dave

David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Unbelieveably, I've run out of tinted front door glass :shock:
Once I've found a company that meet the requirement and not be a "Mercedes" pricing, I'll post the new prices

David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

OK, the tinted windshields are back in stock :D

Also, good news. I've gotten a company to manufacture the front door glass at a good price. I just need to take the sample and have a run made.
The new prices looks to be in the $260 range for a set. Not a bad increase as I had never change the price since I've first started to make these back in '06 :shock:

I still have quite a few of the door glass in clear :roll:

bikmakr
United States of America

Post by bikmakr »

Sorry if this has been addressed. I'm a newbie. How can I tell if I have the original tempered glass that will self-destruct and render me elephant man?
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

bikmakr wrote:Sorry if this has been addressed. I'm a newbie. How can I tell if I have the original tempered glass that will self-destruct and render me elephant man?
David Dunn wrote:The "easiest" way to tell is to read the label on the glass. :mrgreen: .... if legible, it will be in one of the corners, check inside and out, sometimes they are too faint to see through the glass..... Laminated glass will have something like "Lami" in the description... "Securx" or something like that would be tempered.

In absensce of a label, tempered glass usually have tong marks (dimples) along one edge of the glass. These were made from where the glass was hung while going through the tempering oven (tong marks are only on tempered glass made during the '70s and earlier).

Last method of detection, if the other aren't a dead giveaway is to take your fingers and peel back the gasket at some place and look at the edge of the glass inside the gasket. Tempered glass will be obvious as a single piece of glass, and with laminated glass , you will see the 2 actual pieces of glass and the plastic interlayer.

Do not consider tempered glass as a " less safe" type of windshield...it is completely unsafe on any high speed vehicle where wind force can push the shards into the passenger compartment like a claymore mine
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
bikmakr
United States of America

Post by bikmakr »

Thanks Ed,

I found the label:

"swiss lamex" safety laminated glass.

I guess I'm OK
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Well, after 2 months of " We'll have it there by this Friday",
My order of tinted front door glass came in today :roll:

The front door set is $235, plus shipping.

I have 9 sets of the new manufacture
and found 1 set of the old production ( my shop is a scavenger hunter's paradise, you'd never know what could be found.. a dead scavenger that got lost :roll: :lol: )

I'll update the pricing in the first post.

David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

For the K owners out there, I have new gasket material for the rear door glass, with the locking strip. $48.00 with USPS to the lower 48

redruf
United States of America

Post by redruf »

Dave,

Do you have anymore of the tinted windshields? Or would it be too expensive to ship to SE Forida??

Thanks,
Alex
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Well worth the investment to avoid getting a mouth full of glass bits from a blown out windshield.
Don't follow any gravel trucks. Looks cool too with tinted glass all around -- it may be my
imagination but it sure seems cooler (temperature) in the cab as well :?

Dave did my 710K front and rear -- that rear was sure a challenge, glad Dave did it.
I did the sides with all new felt. Rears worked like a charm, slide nice. Fronts were a problem
initially. Could not get the new glass in without a lot of force and then would not slide. My window
jam is just a bit short with the old glass at 427mm. We never did figure out why, this was a early 710K
aka Mozo-1. In any case, Dave took care of me. If you want a testimonial on the packaging, I sent
the glass back to Dave and he sent me new glass cut EXACTLY to 427mm. This packaging made
two trips with no problems. Could easily pass the Samsonite gorilla test -- awesome packaging design.

Incidentally, if you can't read the etching on the glass to know what you have put on a pair of polarized
sunglasses -- you'll right away. if your windshield is tempered and not laminate, it's gonna look like
weird art glass, very distracting.

ron
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Alex
I do not ship windshields. I’ve tried to get quotes for custom boxes, but no one will quote them. Having the windshield made locally is still the best choice, though I have heard of some hideous prices. The door and back glass are a different matter as I did design a pretty UPS/Fedex "driver proof" packaging :lol:

Ron
I want to look at Mozo1 at Mogfest to see what is different with "that" truck as that problem has never occurred on any truck before ( over 120 pieces of glass) and the glass returned was fitted to a 710M the day after I got it back without any problem other than the thickness tightness between imperial and metric glass tightness in the channel. New channels will exaggerate the problem until worn in. I have a feeling that a shim plate was installed behind the channel to remove vertical "slop" of the glass.

It is not your imagination, there is a significant temperature change in direct sunlight through the glass. A Mogger was shocked just by the 'felt' difference of the direct sunlight on the dash through a clear and tinted back glass glass in his SBU.

redruf
United States of America

Post by redruf »

Thanks Dave, I'll try and find someone local here in SE Florida for the windshield.