Big Bend National Park

Postings/pictures/video about off-road fun in Real 4x4's. (European-centric 4x4's)
texas pinzgauer

Big Bend National Park

Post by texas pinzgauer »

Just thinking out loud on this but I was wondering if there might be merit in gathering some of the Texas and New Mexico Pinzgauer owners out there for a 3 or 4 day offroading trip to the Big Bend region of West Texas...perhaps sometime in April or May.

I go out there a few times a year to ride (bicycles) but there might be a bunch of suitable trails. I also have a very good friend who is one of the outdoor trip outfitters in the region and I suspect he could facilitate access to private lands as well.

So has anyone done any "serious" four wheeling in the BBNP and BBSP region?
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
NM_Mogman

Big Bend TX?

Post by NM_Mogman »

I am just north of Albuquerque, NM amd was wondering just where you are referring to, Big Bend National Park?

Phil
texas pinzgauer

Big Bend

Big Bend National Park is located in far southwest Texas and Big Bend Ranch State Park is close by.

(www.nps.gov/bibe/, ww.tpwd.state.tx.us/park/bigbend/bigbend.htm)

As I noted on the initial post, most of my time out there is ON ROAD but I suspect there must be hundreds of miles of trails and of course we'll certainly investigate that before a real outting is planning.
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

NM_Mogman

Big Bend TX?

Post by NM_Mogman »

I will have to plan ahead for something like that because it would be a long drive in a Pinz

Phil
andy

Post by andy »

Big Bend National Park is about 60 miles from either Alpine or Marathon which are both on Highway 90. Coming from New Mexico, if you are close to I -25 a reasonable trip would be down US 285 (I think that's right) to Ft. Stockton. From Ft Stockton you could drop down to either one of those.

Just outside the Park's west entrance is Study Butte. I haven't been there since '95 and I understand it has grown a little where there probably are facilities to leave a trailer if you trailer it down.

Big Bend State Park (and National Park) are close to Terlingua and Lajitas. The road from Terlingua up to Presido is paved but it is a pretty scenic trip. I would say you could do a side trip to Ojinaga, Chihuahua, Mexico at Presidio, but by then you will need a passport etc to come back into the US.

Big Bend National Park and Study Butte both have camping facilites. I don't think you can cross over to Boquillas at the Park anymore.

Good idea Texaspinz.

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
texas pinzgauer

Big Bend

I was hoping you'd notice this Big Bend trip idea post Andy.

This is a huge area (look at a map) and I suspect there are hundreds of miles of unpaved roads and trails so it could have the potential to be an excellent off roading venue. Perhaps a couple of us should go a recon trip first to see what's really available and accessable before we try to promote a full blown West Texas Treffen!
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

andy

Post by andy »

I know there is one 50 some odd mile trip on a dirt road in the National Park where the Gov't recommends 4 wheel drive and high celarence vehicles. Some of the other roads will depend on conditions at the time as to whether they are open or not. I have some literature (if I can find it) from the Park, but mostly it deals with hiking trails.

Google earth might offer more up to date info. I know there are online maps too. GORP might have some more info.

Big Bend State Park keeps evolving, I know nothing current on it. Most of those roads used to be pretty easy back in '95 when I worked in Presidio. It shouldn't be too hard to find current info though.

Sping break is not the time to go to that area. Too many people. Time frame would be a factor, right now in the Chiso's it will be close to or below freezing most nights. Don't remember the exact altitude but it is over 5,000 and less than 6,000 feet.

Security inside the park campgrounds USED to be a factor, I have no idea what it is like today. It might be better since the crossings are allegedly closed, but I know the lower elevation campgrounds had a theft problem. Back in the day I think it cost about $7.00 a vehicle for 5 days access to the National Park.

If it works out I would recommend full gas cans. There is a gas station in the Park, but if you think gas is high in your neighborhood now, imagine what they charge. All fuel out in that part of the state will be somewhat higher.

Still a neat concept.
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
pinztx

big bend trip

Post by pinztx »

Where does the big bend trip stand I a picking my Pinz up this week and am looking for somewhere to take it. We went to Big Bend last June and stayed at Lajitas. That place is nice and the food was out of this world. It has sold since then and I don't know what it would be like now. But the golf was nice. We did a short trail on the west side of the park that there wasn't much to write home about might have been able to do it in my wifes Cadie. Would like to go with a group that knows the area a little better than me.

Any where else to go besides Big Bend?
Thank you,
Shawn Fluitt
Timekeepers Inc.
Oil Field Gate Attendants Inc.
Tier One Security Inc.
210-413-0340
75 710k
Vegetarian:
Indian word for lousey hunter!
andy

Post by andy »

Shaun, there really hasn't been any mention of it for a long time. Our problem here in Texas is we are all spread out and it would take some real doing to get a trip together.

The National Park does have some trials that seem like they would be fun in the Pinz. Study Butte, right outside the Park's west gate supoosedly has grown and may offer camping or trailer set-ups. There are a couple of motels there too that shouldn't be crowded come late Spring. There is also a small motel in the Park up in the Basin.

Big Bend Ranch State Park is supposed to have some unpaved roads also, but I have never been there.

Terlingua is pretty cool too, just not as nice as Lajitas. Back in the mid-90's you could drive across the river at Lajitas and go to Santa Elena in Mexico. That was neat. Big NO No now though.

It'd be nice to hear from others about suggestions or some ideas about where they take there Pinzs.

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
pinztx

Post by pinztx »

Andy everywhere I go I bump into you. You must really like this pinzgauer stuff.

Thanks for all the help.

If you get a chance go to Lajitas and eat. We stayed at the Ultimate Hideout in June it was great. I had a cabrito borrito 3 days in a row. I don't know what it is like since it has changed hands. Have you heard anything about it. Also the Gage Hotel has a wonderful place to eat next door.

I love it out in that neck of the woods. Send me your email and i will send you some great pics of our bird hunt this winter, from Marathon.
Thank you,
Shawn Fluitt
Timekeepers Inc.
Tier One Security Inc.
210-413-0340
75 710k
Vegetarian:
texas pinzgauer

Shawn & Andy,

I have been going out to BBNP for many years now and will be back out there (Fort Davis actually) in June but it's for a cycling trip. Havng been out there dozens and dozens of times and knowing the region very well, it's obvious that there are miles and miles of off-road trails. My challenge is that the logistics of getting my Pinz out there for a multiday trip is tough with family and work obligations.

I really want to put together a BBNP off-road trip one of these days and I bet we could even draw folks from NM and CO. Just working thought the logisitcs and timing is the part I'm challenged by.

Let's not give up on the idea though as I think this could be a really epic trip.
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

andy

Post by andy »

I'm in unless there is some mega emergency and I'll help with trying to organize it however I can from out here.

I think it would be very important, probably critical to have someone along who is mechanically inclined.

My bud from Ft Davis (Prude Ranch) moved to San Angelo, so that would be out as a staging area.

RE: Logistics, it pretty much boils down to driving or trailering. If it starts to shape up and come together, I MIGHT be able to offer overnight lodging in an old bunkhouse at one of the ranches not too far from me. The building is solid, indoor plumbing, hot and cold water. There are two bedrooms with about 8 beds so if modesty is a concern that might not work. I'd still have to get permission, but it could be possible.

There are a couple of off road trails on that place that could be used as a warm up if time permits. Pretty scenic ranch along the Devil's River.

It would be a cool trip, going and coming would be probably 3 or 4 days.
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
pinztx

Post by pinztx »

Sounds good to me. June works for me I have May booked solid.
Thank you,
Shawn Fluitt
Timekeepers Inc.
Tier One Security Inc.
210-413-0340
75 710k
Vegetarian:
pinztx

Post by pinztx »

Sound good to me. June works for me I have May booked solid.
Thank you,
Shawn Fluitt
Timekeepers Inc.
Tier One Security Inc.
210-413-0340
75 710k
Vegetarian:
I-10pinz

Post by I-10pinz »

I'm liking this idea would be good to get all the TX pinzgauers together and BBNP is a beautiful area to do it in, yall might also look into Big Bend Ranch "I think that’s the name or something along those lines" its a gated area that is next to the park we had to get a permit into it but it was a bit less refined road wise and was very secluded didn't see another person there the entire time but then again that was probably 10yrs ago so it may have changed.
Only from above may they judge my actions below.

Thomas