Steel Soldiers Rally Feb 19-22, 2009, AKA FL Treffen...

Postings/pictures/video about off-road fun in Real 4x4's. (European-centric 4x4's)
russ

Steel Soldiers Rally Feb 19-22, 2009, AKA FL Treffen...

Post by russ »

They won't call it a Florida Treffen but we Pinz and Mog owners like to make it into one! Anyone in the southeast try to come, it's not that far! There should be enough trail riding to keep it interesting plus lots of people with similar interests. The food alone is worth the price of admission!

http://www.steelsoldiersfloridarally.com/

Come see the Pinzgauers bury themselves where no other vehicles will dare tread, sink or float. HMMM, not sure that's the best description but perhaps the most accurate! I did pull out a deuce the first year! Of course the favor was returned quite a few times as I led an expedition into waste high muck that even an alligator wouldn't dare go.

It is open to MILITARY VEHICLES ONLY. I do think any Civi Pinzes would be welcome though. :D
If you didn't get stuck, you didn't try hard enough.
'74 710K

1984 in 2009
pinztrek
Barbados

Post by pinztrek »

Hello Russ,

Herbert & I are planning on coming to this rally. He'll have his "pickel" pinz (2.7l EFI short wheelbase, I'll have my 710m, also EFI'd.

So look forward to seeing you and any of the other Souther Pinzer's who may attend. Been quite a while since the inaugural FL Treffen. :-)

Any idea of how many pinz's are headed that way besides the three of us?

Alan
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

I did pull out a deuce the first year
If you get the chance to do it again this year take some pic's or video. :)
russ

Post by russ »

We seem to outnumber the other steel at this event each year. I know of at least 7 FL Pinzes going (2-710Ks, 2-710M, 3-712s) and one 404 Mog. There are a few other 710Ms that I haven't heard back from yet. It will be a lot of fun.

I'm currently working on getting over the flu this week. I may try to go outside a bit tomorrow. Haven't felt like doing anything since Sunday.

Don't forget to bring your shotgun, I'll have a small scale sporting clays field set up. I'll have my son along so hopefully he can man a camera for me.

I think you will get a lot of questions and interest (technical and otherwise) in your EFI systems. Your doghouses may be out of the truck more than in this trip! Looking forward to seeing you there.
'74 710K

1984 in 2009
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Don't forget to bring your shotgun, I'll have a small scale sporting clays field set up
Russ, I hope you have code all those shell's. I see you're senator has sided with Nancy. :P
russ

Post by russ »

Erik712m wrote:
Don't forget to bring your shotgun, I'll have a small scale sporting clays field set up
Russ, I hope you have code all those shell's. I see you're senator has sided with Nancy. :P
He's not MY senator! I reload and simply won't be investing in a laser engraver for each shell unless of course congress is going to provide a million or so stimulus to this consumer.
'74 710K

1984 in 2009
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Russ, I will be there. Should have my shotgun as well. Just not my Pinz.

Erik
pinztx

Post by pinztx »

Russ mount thrower on back of Pinz. Have the other guys shoot from the hatch. You can do this on the trail, so you kill two birds with one stone.
Thank you,
Shawn Fluitt
Timekeepers Inc.
Oil Field Gate Attendants Inc.
Tier One Security Inc.
210-413-0340
75 710k
Vegetarian:
Indian word for lousey hunter!
pinztrek
Barbados

Post by pinztrek »

My brother & I will also be bringing shotguns. Do we need to pick up some clays for the cause?

This is sounding fun!

Alan
russ

Post by russ »

Bring a box of clays if you would like, it's better to have too many than run out! I currently have 6 boxes of 135 targets but may throw a few Sunday to break in a new launcher.

I should get my starter back on Monday, hopefully everything else will fall into place.
'74 710K

1984 in 2009
russ

Post by russ »

Starter is installed and truck is running. Thought I was going to have the infamous carb flooding problem but the needle valve unstuck and all seems well. Now I can concentrate on tuning the clay launchers for the shoot on Sat.
'74 710K

1984 in 2009
pinztrek
Barbados

Post by pinztrek »

Finalized our plans, looks like we will have the two EFI pinz's, a haffie, and Herbert's 6x6 4 cylinder hafflinger at the meet. Possibility of third pinz as well.

We'll be leaving early Friday morning, so hope to be there before dark.

Herbert is driving the "Pickle" pinz. We are short on seats in the pinz's, so I'll probably flat tow the pinz down. Drove my pinz about 6 hours yesterday, so have my weekly dose of highway driving in already. :-)

Are we expecting more vehicles this year? Based on the video from 2008 it looked like there were ten or less vehicles total. (maybe there were more not in the photos/videos)

Any trail protocol? FRS radios?

Have fun,

Alan
russ

Post by russ »

I know of at least 7 Pinzes going not including yours and a Unimog, those are local Pinzes. It looks like there will be quite a few US military vehicles there.

BTW, I can't wait to check out the Haffies!

You can't really tell what was there based on the video, it's fun to watch but doesn't show all the vehicles there. Also, two Pinzes weren't there last time due to last minute mechanical issues, mine included.

As to radios, I will have FRS/GMRS Rino 120s/110s there and my trusty CB. The trails aren't like the Ocala trails where our first Treffens were. Still best to go in twos as it can be a long walk back to camp if you're the only one driving around and have a problem.
'74 710K

1984 in 2009
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Russ, Thank you for allowing my to tag around. Had a good time. I 'll try and up load the pics to night to post.

Erik
pinztrek
Barbados

Post by pinztrek »

Good to see everyone there, and very nice to see so many pinz's & haffies!

I was mostly driving, so don't have many photo's or video. But what I have is here:

< http://pinztrek.com/pinztreffen/steelsoldiers >

I'll try to get the video's on youtube to make them easier to see

Have fun!

Alan