Northwest MogFest 2020; The Oregon Trail

Postings/pictures/video about off-road fun in Real 4x4's. (European-centric 4x4's)
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Northwest MogFest 2020; The Oregon Trail

Post by Jim Molloy »

Hello to all!
I wanted to get a bit of an early start this year with some details of what is planned for 2020 at Waldersee Farm.

Dates for NWMF2020 are August 13th-16th.

Theme: The Oregon Trail

Along with many Unimogs, Land Rovers and Pinzgauers and other European, the numbers of Haflingers and Volvo C-series trucks in the hands of Pacific Northwest owners is growing steadily. And as always, ownership of a European vehicle is not a requirement for attendance and participation in our events.

Two interesting developments in the works this year in keeping with our Oregon Trail theme:

1) We have been in contact with a group of Oregon Trail reenactors who are very excited to put on a bit of a show at NWMF. I have also spoken with a few members of the local Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde and there is a strong possibility we will have native dancers and drummers present as well.

2) The Military Vehicle Preservation Association has announce in their most recent issue of History in Motion (formerly Army Motors magazine) that they will be holding a sanctioned convoy in August. Starting and finishing in Kamiah, ID, it will cover a total of 1,600 miles through Idaho, Washington and Oregon. Part of their route actually covers a section of the original Oregon Trail. It turns out that they plan to be at the Evergreen Air Museum (home of the Spruce Goose) in McMinnville, Oregon the afternoon of Saturday August 15th. There are but 17.1 miles separating the Evergreen and Waldersee Farm and I plan to close that gap in a big way. A contingent of NWMF attendees with be at the museum and greet the convoy in force. Convoy attendees will also be invited and encouraged to join in the NWMF experience as well.

All in all, we should have a fun time this coming year.
Take care...one and all!

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
MVPA member #3023
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/50038529623/
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Re: Northwest MogFest 2020; The Oregon Trail

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Sounds like a big one this time! What's the weather usually like up there around that time?
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

Vince,
In the first twenty years, we had a bit of rain four times that I recall. On sunny clear days with high barometric pressure, high temps can rise into the 90's and low 100's. When cloudy, we tend to see mid 70's and 80's. Around 7:00 pm, he get a strong sea breeze that comes inland over the coast range. The temperature drops by 25-30 degrees in about a half hour. Shorts and T shirts in the afternoon and and long sleeves or a jacket in the evening.

If you are thinking of attending...PLEASE DO IT!!! You will be most welcome!

Take care.
Jim Molloy
aclark79
United States of America

Post by aclark79 »

Looking forward to it!
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

Aaron,
We are as well!

While I do not know anyone in the PNW who owns a Volvo TGB20, it certainly would be nice to greet the MVPA convoy with the full range of Volvo TGB variants along with ex-military Haflingers, Pinzgauers, Unimogs, G-wagens, Saurers, Land Rovers, French Lohr, MAN, Hanomag, DKW/AutoUnion MUNGA, VW Iltis and a Tatra 813. I am thinking of putting Sean's Swiss Haflinger mechanic's trainer on the back of a US Army M116A2 trailer and towing it with his AluZn TGB11. Unfortunately, I believe the all origianal 1943 VW Typ166 Schwimmwagen currently displayed at Techtonics Tuning on Sheridan will have been relocated to a museum somewhere else on the US.

Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

Hello to all...
It is with a great deal of reservation and disappointment that we announce the cancellation of our 21st annual Northwest MogFest gathering this year. Given the Oregon governor's continued stance on large group activities, it appears it will take a miracle to allow us to open our arms, our hearts and our property to the extent we have for the previous two decades.

All is not completely hopeless. Our dates for next year are: August 19th-22nd. Zach Gray has recently revamped our website and you can check the NWMF Facebook page for updates. We will hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

The Waldersee Farm/NWMF Family

Aaron,
I spoke with Dustin Rice last evening and we are going to attempt a gathering of TGB trucks sometime this summer. Since NWMF2020 is officially off the books, I may try to pull something together that weekend instead.
Hope to see you and other Volvo pilots sometime this summer.
Take care.
Jim Molloy
Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm