SWPA trip to Horse Camp Cabin

Postings/pictures/video about off-road fun in Real 4x4's. (European-centric 4x4's)
4x4Pinz
United States of America

SWPA trip to Horse Camp Cabin

Post by 4x4Pinz »

With the AZ weather in perfect condition for pinzgauer trips We took a couple Pinzgauers out to see if we could find a cabin that I heard about in the upper desert of AZ. The cabin was supposed to be fully stocked and in liveable condition. As luck would have it we managed to locate the cabin and it was as had been described. Unreal that a cabin like this could exist in these days of people who are out there to destroy these types of places. for the full set of photos you can visit the SWPA facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/swpinzgauer/

If not here are a couple of photos from the trip.
Attachments
4 (Large).jpg
4 (Large).jpg (144 KiB) Viewed 5832 times
3 (Large).jpg
3 (Large).jpg (261.66 KiB) Viewed 5832 times
2 (Large).jpg
2 (Large).jpg (81.78 KiB) Viewed 5832 times
5 (Large).jpg
5 (Large).jpg (148.11 KiB) Viewed 5832 times
1 (Large).jpg
1 (Large).jpg (138.27 KiB) Viewed 5832 times
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Re: SWPA trip to Horse Camp Cabin

Post by 4x4Pinz »

couple more of inside cabin
Attachments
8.jpg
8.jpg (88.66 KiB) Viewed 5831 times
7.jpg
7.jpg (117.75 KiB) Viewed 5831 times
6.jpg
6.jpg (103.71 KiB) Viewed 5831 times
9.jpg
9.jpg (122.97 KiB) Viewed 5831 times
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

That's one heck of a free and open cabin -- the maid service must be awesome, look at those bed quilts :wink:
I presume this is one heck of a remote location to be in such great shape, the riff raff would tend not to go
way out of their way. I gotta plan on a trip out your neck of the woods one of these days.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

It was a bit of a drive but nothing technical. Far enough with no other attractions along the way and a dead end road all make for a secluded place. There is a ranch in the area that I believe uses and maintains it. They have a sign up that says use what you need but replace with something of equal useable value. They even took the time to leave a note stating that the flu pipe for the wood stove had fallen off and they had ordered a new one and will get it replaced once it arrives. if you use the stove you are supposed to check and make sure the old pipe is in place. the propane range had a five gallon propane tank attached with propane and worked. The dates on the food items are recent. there is even a second building with horse supplies stored inside.
The log book was really interesting to look through. People talk about using the cabin for hunting trips and what repairs they made while there. We logged in as we do at all the places we visit that have log books.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Saw this on your FB page.
Great adventure and nice to see places like this are still able to exist.
The log book must have been amazing to read through!
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

If I get back there I would love to snap a photo of each page of the log book. Interesting stories and a great way to document the cabins use. We found another house that required hiking to get to it that also has a log book. The entries were not as interesting as the horse camp log but not the least really interesting. I love getting out to these remote places and the pinz affords me that opportunity. I have my pinz set up for overlanding and it works very well for hunting down these types of places.
AZ_Mike
United States of America

Post by AZ_Mike »

I'm glad you found it Mike!

Mike
New owner of Swiss 1975 712AMB.