SWPA Treffen

Postings/pictures/video about off-road fun in Real 4x4's. (European-centric 4x4's)
4x4Pinz
United States of America

SWPA Treffen

Post by 4x4Pinz »

Yeah SWPA treffen just 24hrs away. Looking forward to getting out on the trails near Tucson. great area with some nice trails to play on.
Winter Beater

Re: SWPA Treffen

Post by Winter Beater »

ahhhh, bad planning on our part. Weather is cooling down in Denver and we could have gone to warmer zones. Is it 3rd week of Oct every year?
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

Unlike Colorado we don't have a lot of State parks that allow camping and are close to wheeling areas. We have to take whatever reservations are available. We do have a spot in a remote location, in the middle of the forest that we set up showers and restrooms which works well. We just have not figured out a way to make it easy for non locals to find it.
Our treffen falls either in the spring or fall as the summers just don't work well for us.
Winter Beater

Post by Winter Beater »

Remote sounds like fun ..it'll make me home sick. A self contained multi-trail Treffen would be fun. Meet at the beer store for ice & soda, then head out for 5 days .... camp where you drop. :posting.php?mode=reply&f=6&t=7565#
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Fairly sure the non-locals could find it with GPS coordinates.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

you would think so, but from past results that has not been the case.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

OK, perhaps...but I know this guy that when his GPS is actually plugged in, he can find anything.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I have no doubt about that. We had a Treffen in the middle of the Bradshaw Mountains. We spent a bunch of time setting up a latrine and shower structure along with trucking in plenty of water for the showers and setting up a hot water system for the showers. The main complaint was the difficulty in finding the location both from locals and those wanting to attend from out of state. We provided GPS coordinates along with google earth maps. It was actually very easy to find if you just followed the maps or gps.

We have done a couple of outings where we took a trail and set up camp at a new location each night (not a treffen). This has been fairly well received although it does require the commitment of taking days off work and having the truck ready for some travel, camping and offroading. Great way to see lots of country. Would love to do one like that in the rocky mountains. Each time we go up there we see lots of cool mining buildings and areas that would be great to stop and check out but trail time constraints make it difficult to stop very long. Some of the coolest stuff is just off the trail, out of site of the ones who don't leave the roads.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Sounds great. The time constraints are an issue for many. Not just the idea of having the vehicle that can do the adventure but there is the commitment to actually going.
I have penciled in trips and have had one thing or another get in the way. Although I am retired and have time available that those still working cannot permit, there are
times when family does take precedence. If I plan the trip a month or so out it stands a better chance of happening.
Not a big fan of intense heat or bone chilling cold, so it would make spring or fall better for a week trip.
When I traveled with a Jeep group in SoCal I would leave a day early and meet them at a predetermined location. They would go 80 mph to get to a place. I had no issue
on the trail. Keeping up with them led to many smiles waiting for one of them to get unstuck. I smile quietly, don't want to hurt feelings. As I get older rock climbing is less and
less fun for me. Prefer overlanding.

Happy trails
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

on the extended run and camp trips you don't want to get too aggressive on the trails so that you insure you don't have a break down. The El Camino Del Diablo trail has been a great trail for us. There is not much in the way of difficulty but the sites along the way make you forget that the trail was very easy. We still managed to find a little fun area near the end of the trip.