Brake Drum Finish

Mechanical issues? Check here.

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Haf-e
United States of America

Brake Drum Finish

Post by Haf-e »

Getting close to having the brake system of my haflinger all back together. I had the brake drums checked for trueness and then the outside sand blasted.

Should I just leave them bare aluminum or should I paint them with something? Clearcoat them?

Any one know what the original factory finish was?
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Re: Brake Drum Finish

Post by Heinkeljb »

I don't believe the factory did anything to them. I suppose it really depends on what you plan to do with this Haflinger when it is all back together looking like it just came from a show room?
If it is too nice and shiny you will never want to take it off road and unfortunately that's where it's good manners are - Road use is very poor second!

Obviously something like clear coat will stop them from developing the white Aluminium oxide powder if they just stand still in the open air. It is just as likely to get scratched off in place if you take it off road so you will still be doing some cleaning if that's your thing.

Lurch just gets used... Lives outside and get washed every once in a while. Things are fixed when they get broken enough to need it.

John
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

I would just give them a quick coat of cheap clear - no point in spending $ on 2k as it will just get scratched/rubbed off.
The clear will just stop them from oxidizing so quickly and will make they easier to clean.
Basically, what John said :)
Dan
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Thanks - I'll just give them a shot of a clearcoat.

My Haflinger will not be a show car by any means - just want it to run well - it will be used for work on my tree farm mostly in place of my Pinz which is overkill a lot of the time for just me and a chainsaw...
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com