Tracking down a sound...sounds like chain links clinking

Mechanical issues? Check here.

Moderator: TechMOGogy

audiocontr
United States of America

Tracking down a sound...sounds like chain links clinking

Post by audiocontr »

And no, it's not the chain straps for passengers.

Something is giving off the sound over terrain. Usually minor bumps will signal the sound, and I cant tell if its front or rear. My guess is front. Any thoughts of what to look for?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
TechMOGogy
Canada

Re: Tracking down a sound...sounds like chain links clinking

Post by TechMOGogy »

Hows the oil in the hubs?
How do the springs and perches look?
If it happens only while going over bumps then it is probably suspension related, as I am sure you have already surmised
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

Things to look at - wiggle - tap etc,

The Diff guards
The axle travel limit straps
The metal cups covering the Rezepa joint (CV)
The pivot pins between the swing arms and the Diff mountings.
Shock absorbers (covers - and possible leakage of oil causing no or inefficient damping)
The various rods, joints, arms controling 4 wheel drive, rear diff locker, front diff locker.
Handbrake linkage
Hand throttle linkage

There shouldn't be anything else at the front that can clink, other than what you might have up in the dash - which I am sure you could pin down as far as noise making is concerned.

The rear would be similar things along the lines of the sump guard, handbrake cable system, pivot pins for the rear swing axles, limit straps, shock absorbers. The various bits of tin ware not fastened down sufficiently.

Basically, it could be anything under the platform which is not fastened down properly!

John
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

yea =) this one is annoying!!!

Has anyone created a post about the fluid swap procedure for haffies? Maybe i'll replace just for the fun of it, and while im under there, start my wiggling
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

What you mean the fluid change procedure? At its basic - loosen filler plug (to ensure it will undo), put container under drain holes and remove drain plug - refill as per normal.

Is there any specific component you have an issue with?

The clunking could be simply the suspension going to full extension and the clunk could the straps going to full tension.

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

The operators handbook has a chart detailing the service intervals and quantities / products to use if that's what you require.
Level ground required.

Basically, engine oil changes 1200 miles - engine warm, drain plug out, oil into container to be disposed of correctly. whilst that is draining, drain plug at the bottom of the oil filter housing out, oil into container etc. Whether you change the oil filter every time you do an oil change or every other time, is debateable.

Gearbox / Diff's oil change - same procedure - get the boxes warm as the oil is quite thick and will take a long time to drain if you try to change it when it's cold!

Hub oil changes, again warm oil flows better. (25ml each - oil the same as the gearbox / Diff's)

Next on the list is ALL the grease points! There are lots!

Front central steering idler pivot point
Top swivel pin
Bottom Swivel pin
Clutch cable
Speedometer drive
4 Wheel drive pivot
Diff Lock pivots (front and back)
Handbrake cables
Clutch lever

I am sure I have missed listing some - it does appear to differ in the numbers depending on the age of the Haflinger. I am sure my late 1973 doesn't have as many as a early one.

As Gary says, if you are having issues with a particular one, let us know and we will help as best we can.

John