Clutch howl after getting wet?

Mechanical issues? Check here.

Moderator: TechMOGogy

audiocontr
United States of America

Clutch howl after getting wet?

Post by audiocontr »

Did some nice muddy off roading for the past couple of days... The clutch will howl when depressed after getting wet. Bering? It's silent when it dries.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Re: Clutch howl after getting wet?

Post by McCall Pinz »

You were probably pretty deep and got something in through the inspection cover. Make sure the cover is still there. I don't know if that would actually damage anything because it would sling off the clutch and pressure plate while you were driving.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
eat, sleep, Pinzgauer
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

I don't know of any "inspection Cover" on a Haflinger that allows you to view the clutch - there is a drain plug at the bottom of the bell housing which if left open when fording water / muddy water would allow that liquid into the bell housing and so contaminate the clutch plate, fill the clutch release bearing full of grit.

John
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

That... Was never plugged when received. No issue after a day of road driving.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

When you are going to be wading, then put the wading plug in - do it before you leave on a grip and take it out when you get back. However unless you were stopped in the deep muddy water I doubt you would get much crap in the bellhousing area with the wading plug not in.

Last year I waded this pool near home and spent some time stopped in the middle waiting for the wheels to gain traction before exiting was greatly relieved). The muddy water was well over wheels and came half way up the engine and I got nothing in my bell housing.
20160725_144138.jpg
20160725_144138.jpg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 6314 times
My guess is that instead of getting a full dose of muddy water you got and little bit in there that has got on hot warm areas and the vapour" circulated around causing the issues you got - however of course if your vehicle sat in deep water or you managed to get an unlikey big squirt straight up the hole things might be different - but as the noise has gone as soon as the car gets hot I would say you just got a little bit.

I would continue to drive it and if you start getting similar noises in normal use then you will need to start looking further - it will most likely be the clutch withdrawal bearing and or the spigot bush.

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Thanks all. No issues driving it yesterday and today.

Fording plug??? The small hole at the base off the bell housing? I see it's threaded, but I do not have the bolt. I'll find one that fits. Thank you!
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

As John mentioned the hole is there to allow any oil that gets past the seals from either the gearbox/diff or engine to drain away and not soil the clutch. Normal road vehicles may not have a plug to go in there but most proper 4wd vehicles do (dont know about a Pinz). Certainly my 101 and series landrovers have the plugs that are stored in a threaded hole in the bell housing next to the drain hole and are inserted when wading is required.

Now on the Haflinger I have not found a storage hole nearby and I dont have a plug to go in but I will find something to fit. It is important that the plug/bolt not be left in as it could cause issues. As you can see the little drain hole is quite small and is somewhat shielded by the exhaust so not much chance of water splashing in and what ever did get in would, only be a very small amount, probably drain out straight away. Stop for a while in 2 feet of water - different proposition.

As all is OK then I would not worry about it and just put in suitable size bolt in the tool kit for when you go wading.

garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

Heinkeljb wrote:I don't know of any "inspection Cover" on a Haflinger that allows you to view the clutch - there is a drain plug at the bottom of the bell housing which if left open when fording water / muddy water would allow that liquid into the bell housing and so contaminate the clutch plate, fill the clutch release bearing full of grit.

John
Sorry I replied from Tapa talk before seeing this was in Haffy forum and not Pinz forum.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
eat, sleep, Pinzgauer