Main frame central tube - - lubrication ?

Mechanical issues? Check here.

Moderator: TechMOGogy

nelsonamen

Main frame central tube - - lubrication ?

Post by nelsonamen »

While topping off the 90W in the hubs, gearbox, and front dif, I noticed this plug near the top of the main tube about 8 inches back from the front flange. Looked like a fill port, so I pulled it. Using a wooden dowel, I found there was about 3/4 of an inch level of gear oil laying in the bottom of the tube. I have reviewed the Repair Instructions, Maintenance Manual and Spare Parts Catalogue (and these forums) and have been unable to find any references to lubricating oil use for the central tube. In addition, there appears to be no drain plug in the bottom of the tube as would be needed to change out the oil in the tube. A mystery.

See the attached. It is Part #27, which is listed as "drain plug". I have found that the phase "drain plug" is used in the manuals for both the oil drains and the fill ports.

So ..... Any feedback from you all on gear oil inside the main tube? And if so, how much? Maybe the oil slinger (#17) gives us a clue? Thanks.

Nelson - - San Antonio, Texas
Attachments
Haf main tube02a_1.jpg
Haf main tube02a_1.jpg (168.33 KiB) Viewed 4422 times
Garrycol
Australia

Re: Main frame central tube - - lubrication ?

Post by Garrycol »

Do you have the Haflinger workshop manual and the Haflinger Owners Manual? It is on page 4 of the Owners Manual - Centre Tube .5litre transmission oil SAE 90.

I tried to attach the documents but they are too large for this site.

This is one of the design gems that seem to populate the Haflinger vehicle. They have a fill plug but not a train plug - when I got my Haflinger this was one of the things I wanted to check but was easier to just add another 500ml - is designed to lubricate the the bearings at either end of the tube so given the volume of the tube I figured an extra 500ml was not going to hurt.

I guess, one could park on a slope and suck the oil out - my work list has a task to drill a hole in the tube and put a drain in.

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

I presume there is no drain plug as it would have to be on the bottom of the tube and therefore a prime candidate to get caught on something when off roading.
Unless you can make a drain plug that is flush on the outside AND the inside, it would be better to park on a slope and suck the old oil and metal shavings out before refilling with new oil.

John
nelsonamen

Post by nelsonamen »

Many thanks ! Mystery solved.

Nelson
Attachments
house.jpg
house.jpg (1.92 MiB) Viewed 4376 times