Max height to fit in a Hafi?

Mechanical issues? Check here.

Moderator: TechMOGogy

TechMOGogy
Canada

Max height to fit in a Hafi?

Post by TechMOGogy »

Interested to know owners heights!
I am pretty tall and since Hafi's are not just sitting at a used car lot to 'test' it is hard to know/tell if a tall guy will fit!
Would be interested in members/owners comments on max height to fit/see out of a Haflinger (and not be looking OVER the windshield :D )
I am 6'4" but skinny
Thanks,
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Re: Max height to fit in a Hafi?

Post by Jim Molloy »

6' 4" and skinny,

I know of several 76" tall Haflinger owners/operators. I believe most have the same initial reservation you do. Size of your feet can also be an issue. All seem to have adapted quite nicely. Replacing the original seats with thick plush units from another vehicle does not seem to be a viable option for the tall owners.

Rather than just talking with other owners, I would suggest you ask members on this list as well as those on the Yahoo Groups Haflinger list if there is anyone nearby (reasonable driving distandce) who would allow you to sit in and operate their Haflinger. I find the worldwide Haflinger community to be very generous and accomodating. Owners in North America are no exception.

Another option is to attend an event where Haflingers are known to congregate in numbers. The third annual Haflingertreffen Nordamerika will be held the second weekend in June in far northwestern California and the thirteenth annual Northwest MogFest will be held the third weekend in August in rural northwest Oregon.

Hope this helps.

Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Good advice
Had one close to me but it sold and shipped further away!
Perhaps a visit to NWMF is in order to hook up and meet all the other Mog owners I chat with online
Thanks,
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
pathfinder700ap
Austria

Post by pathfinder700ap »

I am 79.5" tall and I love driving the Haflinger! I cannot sit perfectly straight, but it works fine for me.

Kind regards,
Constantin
HafWit

Post by HafWit »

I am 75" tall and I can manage in both of my Haflingers. My Swiss Haflinger had a rusted window frame that needed to be corrected--when I did that, I had it made taller with a custom glass windshield that makes me very comfortable. I was able to manage with the original, but I find that my field of view was somewhat limited since I couldn't effectively look up. For regular driving, this shouldn't matter much since the primary view is straight ahead. However, with the taller windshield I have now, I don't feel "restricted" anymore. In my North American Haflinger, it already had a custom top when I got it that gave additional head clearance, so no problem there. The same issues I describe occur with various sports cars. As an example, on the old TV show Magnum PI, Tom Selleck was always seen in his Ferrari with the top off since his head extended above the top of his windshield.

Cheers,
Greg
HafWit
a.k.a. Phlyphysher, Greg, & Clamphysician
1967 Swiss Haflinger, 1975 Volvo C303