Hafy rings, valves and guides

Mechanical issues? Check here.

Moderator: TechMOGogy

westernair
United States of America

Hafy rings, valves and guides

Post by westernair »

OK in my anal retentivness manor, I am going to go through the motor. It seems to blow a bit of smoke and is burning oil. Can someone let me know what resources I have to find these parts? As with all my air cooled motors I would like to let it breath better with the installation of slightly larger valves and a polish job. Also if the piston to cylinder gap is to big what are the options for a slightly larger piston. Definatly not looking to make this a race motor, just wanting to fresh'n it up and let it breath better
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Re: Hafy rings, valves and guides

Post by Jim Molloy »

Shawn,
On the Yahoo Groups Haflinger forum, someone mentioned Haflinger Technik as a potential source for parts. There is no doubt that Dale Harrison is absolutely indispensible to the Haflinger community at large. I have placed many parts orders in the past and have always been pleased. I look forward to sending may more orders his direction in the future. Always money very well spent!

With that said, there is another source for parts that you might also find useful when it comes to higher performance from your engine. I am speaking of Robert Prokschi in Austria. Their website is located at: http://www.puch500.at/ There appear to stock more engine performance parts that may be used on Haflinger motors. I have not personally chosen to enhance the displacement nor move to a higher compression ratio for any of our vehicles but these folks might be a starting point.

Hope this helps.

Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Contact Jim LaGuardia. He built my Haffy engine and it runs like a watch. He has all the connections to have pistons made, cylinders honed, and the heads rebuilt using BMW parts. Do it once, do it right.
The previous mentioned parts sources are all good, I used them when I restored my Haffy.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Yup - parts from Robert P (or Leonard who is Roberts NA dealer) and have Jim L put it all together.
This is exactly what I hope to do shortly with an extra engine I have.
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
HafWit

Post by HafWit »

Agreed. Leonard Castiglione of Microcars in Carlsbad, CA would be a good source for parts in the US. Jim LaGuardia of Goatwerks knows these vehicles well and can do the work or provide technical wizardry.

Cheers,
Greg
HafWit
a.k.a. Phlyphysher, Greg, & Clamphysician
1967 Swiss Haflinger, 1975 Volvo C303
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

I sent my heads down to Lenny this week. he is going to do the BMW valve upgrade to them 57 x 53
He is also going to line hone my cyclinders and fit his custom ring set. He was trying to get me to upgrade to VW 1500 CC pistons and jugs to make it a monster 750cc motor, but for now just the heads are being done.
He claims with the larger valves I will get close to about 8 hp increase and the motor will run cooler. not that hp is a big deal, but I wont turn it away. I really am just wanting to have a motor that breaths better, does not blow oily smoke and runs cooler.
I also ordered a set of seat frames from Austria and a cool toneu cover like the one pictured.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

I want THAT one!
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
SAM. C.

Post by SAM. C. »

Hi Shawn

I am rebuilding a Haflinger engine at the moment and your BMW Valve upgrade sounds very interesting. My heads need new valves and this sounds like a really good upgrade.

I am in Australia and sending my heads to your guy is not really practical but I was wondering if you had any info on what type of BMW Valves (size model etc) you are replacing the stock ones with? I see you have 57 X 53 on your post but I am not sure what this means. My engine is getting re-bored and Maybe the company I am using could get some new valves and do the same job.

If you have any more tech info on what they are doing I would be very interested to hear it.

Sam
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

SAM. C. wrote:Hi Shawn

I am rebuilding a Haflinger engine at the moment and your BMW Valve upgrade sounds very interesting. My heads need new valves and this sounds like a really good upgrade.

I am in Australia and sending my heads to your guy is not really practical but I was wondering if you had any info on what type of BMW Valves (size model etc) you are replacing the stock ones with? I see you have 57 X 53 on your post but I am not sure what this means. My engine is getting re-bored and Maybe the company I am using could get some new valves and do the same job.

If you have any more tech info on what they are doing I would be very interested to hear it.

Sam
The 57 x 53 is the milimeter size across the top. The BMW valves are by no means drop in and run valves. the stems need to be cut down and re-notched for the keepers. Also new seats and valve guides are in order. What number cam are you currently running, is it a #3 or a #5? If not a 5 you might want to consider upgrading it.
Jim at Goatworks is on this site and can answer may technical questions. If you want Leonardo, the guy I am currently usings info PM me and I will give it to you.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

It will be interesting to see your results.
Robert (http://www.puch500.at/) has 750cc 'drop in' parts - as much as anything can be 'drop in'
You can search his site and email him regarding valves he would have in stock
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Is there anyway I can convert that site to English?
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Use http://translate.google.com Just type in the site address and it will translate each page for you as you browse.

Or you can use Google Chrome as your browser and it will translate automatically for you.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Thanks Paul - works a treat.

Cheers

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

OK some of you know I found that my motor was to worn out to just do the heads. It had about .100 end play on the crank and that was what was causing all the leaking. Since Leo already had my heads I sent him everything else to do a complete rebuild of my motor. Leo estimated that the motor probably had en excess of 200K on it!!!
Here is the discription of the motor as Leo discribes it.
"THE BARRELS ARE THE NEW 40 hp VW BIG BORE KIT THEY JUST CAME OUT WITH... THE PISTONS ARE FLAT TOP AND CLEAR THE VALVES WITH NO ISSUES... THE ORIGINAL PISTON RINGS ARE THROWN AWAY AND REPLACED WITH GRANT PISTON RINGS.. OF HIGH QUALITY. THE ENGINES CASES ARE DECKED AND THE BORES ARE OPENED UP TO FIT THE BARRELS WITH A .005 CLEARANCE ON THE BARRELS. THE BARRELS ARE MACHINED SO THE PISTONS COME UP TO THE TOP , BUT NOT INTO THE COMBUSTION CHAMBER. THE 83MM KIT IS A VERY NICE PACKAGE FOR HAFLINGERS PLENTY OF FINS FOR COOLING AND NOT TO HIGH A COMPRESSION WHERE ONE WOULD USE PREMIUM FUEL. THE HEADS WITH THE STAINLESS STEEL VALVES HAVE 8MM STEMS AND BIG VALVE HEADS FOR BETTER COOLING ... THIS SET UP PRODUCES MAX HP AT 3000 RPM COMPARED THE THE FACTORY SETTING OF 4500 RPM. THE HEADS ARE VERY SPECIAL AND FLOW MUCH BETTER THAN FACTORY HEADS.MANY HOURS WENT INTO THE DESIGN CHANGES.TITANIUM COLLERS WERE NOT USED BECAUSE THE CAM WILL ONLY LET THE ENGINE REV TO 5K ..THEY OFFER NO BENEFIT AT THAT RPM. BUT THE BEE HIVE SPRINGS OFFER MUCH HIGHER RPM IF NEED BE.. LIKE 7000 RPM IF A CAMSHAFT WERE USED TO ALLOW IT.. THE CUT DOWN CHROME MOLY COLLERS TO FIT ON TOP OF THE BEE HIVE SPRINGS ARE VERY SMALL AS IT IS...( STATE OF THE ART) THE CARBURETOR IS FACTORY AND I HAD A GUN SMITH BORE THE POTMETAL CASTING AND HAD OILLIGHT BUSHINGS INSTALLED SO ( NO MORE LEAKS)"

Well the build has been comming along slowly but sherly and it should finnally go on the dyno this weekend for testing and break-in.

Once she is finnished and shipped back I will post photos of it.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

I had made a few mistakes in the discription and have edited my last post. Thanks Leo for the correction.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold