New Member - Canberra Australia

Mechanical issues? Check here.

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Garrycol
Australia

New Member - Canberra Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Hi my name is Garry Collins, I live in Canberra Australia and I have just purchased a 73 swb civilian Haflinger. It is in near usable condition engine starts and runs well, drives Ok, brakes OK but the bottom of the front drivers side (Right hand drive) portal leaks really bad when being driven so this will be the first thing to fix. There is also a smaller leak from the inner area (diff) of the rear passenger side drive shaft.

There has been rust in the floor under the steering box that has been repaired but the repair is now rusting. The stiffeners under the seat area is also rusting and the spot welds will have to be drilled out and repairs made and rewelded in.

Otherwise it is OK. It has 14" fiat wheels on it with road tyres but I do have original wheels and tyres. I think the fiat wheels are a bit high making the car a bit unstable - maybe the wheel offset is wrong. I think that if the axles could handle it wheels with greater offset would be better.

The muffler comes out in front of the rear wheel which is illegal here so I will have to reroute it to the rear - any pics someone could post from under showing how the muffler and exhaust come out the back would be appreciated.

Some pics of my little truck and one of my big truck (better than a Pinz :lol: )

Thanks - I have heaps of questions but will post those up separately.

Cheers

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Re: New Member - Canberra Australia

Post by Jim Molloy »

Garry,
Congratulations on your recent find. The truck ppareast to be in very good condition. For a very nice look at the underside of a Haflinger showing excellent exhaust routing detail, please go to:

http://pinzforum.kiruna.de/viewtopic.ph ... &start=120

and scroll down about 3/4th of the page.

I am curious about the two switches to the right of your instument panel as well as your unusual distributor cap.

Hope this helps.
Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
Sheridan, Oregon USA
htp://www.norhtwestmogfest.com
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Thanks Jim - yes looking forward to getting it on the road as I live close enough to some wilderness areas to be able to drive there on the road (20km) and spend a day or two four wheel driving.

The engine is fitted with a 123\Fiat-Plus electronic ignition system specifically . It also looks like this has been further modified and the standard coil being replaced with coil pack. Reading from the ignition handbook (and I am not sure I have this right) it looks like what you see is not actually a conventional distributor as such but is more of a crankshaft style sensor that fires the coil pack - I haven't had time to fully check it all out. The handbook indicates it can run a standard ignition curve but also has 12 different advance curves programmed that can be selected from within what looks like the distributor cap.

There are lots of hand written notes in the handbook that indicate the engine is timed for ignition 1000 rpm (10.5 BTDC), 2000 rpm (10.5 BTDC), 3000 rpm (21 BTDC), 4750 RPM (31 BTDC). Also if the tacho on the dash is correct it did rev to 5500rpm so if correct the governor may not be there. But I haven't looked at any of these things as yet.

The switches look aftermarket and are not connected to anything.

Cheers

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
1957 Landrover 88"
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

Some pics of my little truck and one of my big truck (better than a Pinz)
Ohh them's fighting words ...... We have a number of 101's in the Club (LROCV) and I'm often "debating" this question, but while I admit the V8 is nice, you still can't beat three diff locks :D

I was only talking to an ex Haffy owner from Canberra the other day (we were both in the Haflinger Club of Australia back in the late 1970's).
He is currently looking for a Haflinger to restore so you may have another one up there soon.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Profpinz wrote:
Some pics of my little truck and one of my big truck (better than a Pinz)
Ohh them's fighting words ...... We have a number of 101's in the Club (LROCV) and I'm often "debating" this question, but while I admit the V8 is nice, you still can't beat three diff locks :D

You are correct of course that the diff locks do make a big difference - however I was talking about a level playing field with a double locked 101. Different strengths in different areas and have different design objectives..

Interestingly the guy whole sold me the Haffie used to own a 101 a few years back that is now owned by a good acquaintance of mine in Sydney - that 101 was well known in Vic Landrover circles about 5 years ago until it left for Sydney.

One of the previous owners of my Haflinger has either been in contact with you or was intending to contact you most likely in relation to the electronic ignition as your email address and name is written on the last page of the electronic ignition hand book.

Cheers

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
1957 Landrover 88"
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

Did you get to the Land Rover 50th at Cooma some years ago? ....heaps of 101's there.
This is my mates 101.
http://members.westnet.com.au/profpinz/ ... /rgenn.htm

I know a guy who was rebuilding a Haffy who lived at Captains Flat just outside Canberra but he recently sold the vehicle to a mate of mine in the LROCV.
Somehow Land Rovers and Haflinger and Pinzgauers are often "inter-twined" :D
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

pathfinder700ap
Austria

Post by pathfinder700ap »

Hello Garry,

I already saw your Haflinger on eBay - congratulations! I was recently in contact with a man from Canberra who is restoring an ex Australian Army Haflinger - do you already know each other?

The u-shaped members under the front seats (and also on the upper side of the engine bay) are not an unusual area for corrosion. Same thing with the additional sheet metal under the steering assembly on the front footwell. I think it is a good idea to replace the members under the seats. If the reinforcement sheet metal under the steering assembly is not too badly corroded, you can drill the welding spots out, have it sandblasted and repaired and welded back on (because then you can save the original ribs in the tin part).

The Australian Haflinger history is certainly very interesting and I have collected some information on my website at http://tdc.haflinger-4wd.com/countries/australia.php I am always looking for more historic pictures or information. I also still hope that one of the Australian friends could make a visit to Barry Jones and try to save interesting stories and pictures for the future!

Also, there is Rick and Markus trying to bring together the Australian Haflinger community at http://www.haflingerclub.org.au/. I think Rick is planning to have a forum etc. set up on this website soon.

Kind regards,
Constantin
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Profpinz wrote:Did you get to the Land Rover 50th at Cooma some years ago? ....heaps of 101's there.
This is my mates 101.
http://members.westnet.com.au/profpinz/ ... /rgenn.htm

I know a guy who was rebuilding a Haffy who lived at Captains Flat just outside Canberra but he recently sold the vehicle to a mate of mine in the LROCV.
Somehow Land Rovers and Haflinger and Pinzgauers are often "inter-twined" :D
I was at the 60th event at Cooma in 08. I only know of one other haffy locally but I am only now seriously looking so will no doubt find more. I have sent that guy Matt C a message via another forum but not heard back from him.

Cheers

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
1957 Landrover 88"
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Thanks Constantin for you comments and link.

I don't know anyone else in Canberra with a Haffie - sent a message to one and waiting for a reply. Now i know that there is also an ex mil one here too I will try and track that down as well - I am the Treasurer of the only local military equipment collectors club so I am sure one of our members will know who the person is.

You website is a real gem and I have it bookmarked for future reference - eg it shows Aust compliance plates but mine does not seem to have it fitted (no doubt lost over the years). I have found my engine number on the engine - now I need to find the car or body number (or VIN) actually stamped on the chassis/body - the plate is on the dash but rego authorities will want to view where they are stamped on the car.

I have sent an email to the address on the Aust Haflinger site and am awaiting a response if it is still valid.

Cheers

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
1957 Landrover 88"
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

Ahh was that the 60th....how time flies.
In that case I probably met you :D :D :D

After all the LR's gathered on the airfield for the photo shoot I was one of the three people directing you back onto the road, and as the other two were women well... :D :D :D :D :D :D
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

pathfinder700ap
Austria

Post by pathfinder700ap »

Hello Garry,

the chassis number is on the right side of the gearbox housing, have a look at: http://www.haflinger-4wd.com/offtopic/H ... umbers.pdf

According to Barry Jones, not all Haflingers had a compliance plate. Only the younger Hafs had it and there it also depends on the State in Australia that the car was sent to.

Kind regards,
Constantin
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

.... I was one of the three people directing you back onto the road, and as the other two were women well...
But they had beards too! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)