Haflinger Zenith Carby

Mechanical issues? Check here.

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Re: Haflinger Zenith Carby

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

can you post a picture of the carb installed, make sure to get a shot of the pump link location. Pump is same as Pinz or Mog, however, link location is furthest out . Also make sure fuel is not dripping onto throttle plates when running at idle(stuck float valve)
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Thanks Jim - unfortunately the car is now in with the tuner on the other side of the city and I do not have a pic - however on your earlier advice (I gave your advice as you wrote it to the rebuilder) the linkage to the accelerator pump is on the outer hole on the linkage.

When I first put the carby on, unknown to me the glue that hold the floats together failed so I had lots of fuel flooding the carby

On repairing them with a Devcon plastic glue that is compatible with petrol all was well - no fuel now flooding the carby.

It has been suggested that maybe the brass disk in the choke is on the opposite around so fuel is flooding in even though the choke is off but my carby knowledge is poor so I do not know.

I might go and visit the tuner tomorrow and discuss further and see if I can also take a pic but I think it is OK.

Cheers

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Good luck with your current shop - if they fail or have issues - I would recommend you just ship the carb directly to Jim.
He can check it, rebuild parts if needed and probably even test it on an actual Haflinger before shipping it back to you.
Cheers,
Dan
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Holding the choke assembly in your hand looking at disk in "on" position, large hole should face lower rear(L), if that helps :wink:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

TechMOGogy wrote:Good luck with your current shop - if they fail or have issues - I would recommend you just ship the carb directly to Jim.
He can check it, rebuild parts if needed and probably even test it on an actual Haflinger before shipping it back to you.
Cheers,
Dan
On reflection I should have sent the carby and engine complete to get it sorted.
Last edited by Garrycol on Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
1957 Landrover 88"
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Jim LaGuardia wrote:can you post a picture of the carb installed, make sure to get a shot of the pump link location. Pump is same as Pinz or Mog, however, link location is furthest out . Also make sure fuel is not dripping onto throttle plates when running at idle(stuck float valve)
Hi Jim - some pics I took when I went to the tuner today

Jim LaGuardia wrote:Holding the choke assembly in your hand looking at disk in "on" position, large hole should face lower rear(L), if that helps
Armed with the information that has been provided and the old Mog jet block I went out to the tuner - I showed him the disk inside the choke and talked about the Suction valve and/or Pressure valve of the accelerator pump and how it can leak into the carby - he was most interested and will have a look at all that.

He said that the idle mixture is about right and as revs increase it starts to lean off a little but then from mid range up it is full on rich with lots of black smoke coming out the exhaust. Also I had asked him to look at the ignition as I felt it was maybe a bit advanced - it has a 123 Electronic ignition system - he said that his instruments is showing 41 degrees BTDC at higher revs where the standard curve should have it at about 30 degrees BTDC and the 123 system should have it at about 30 degrees on the milder settings and about 35 on the more aggressive settings so there may also be an issue with the ignition as well.

Thanks to everyone for then input.

Cheers

Garry

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
1957 Landrover 88"
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Just an update on this all is fixed - 762cc engine on 14" tyres and 70kph hub gears my Haffie will now go close to 90kph and 5500rpm on the straight and level. Not actually got there but have done 86kph (GPS) and 5300rpm before I backed off and it still had a little more to give.

The Haffie went into the tuner to sort the carb but he indicated that ignition timing was out. The 123 electronic ignition was give 48 degrees BTDC at about 4000rpm so that was the first issue to sort before the carb. A new wasted spark coil went in with no change - the mechanic also checked timing on no2 cylinder and found the timing for each cylinder was different :cry: . So out came the 123 electronic ignition and in went a standard points dizzy and coil. Timing issues fixed.

The carby was then pulled down again and found to be in order but when on the dyno and running at 3800rpm in fourth the exhaust was still showing 1600ppm in hydrocarbons indicating an extremely rich situation but the carby had checked out OK. So the rocker covers were pulled and the tappets were too tight not allowing the valves to close - pushing some of the unburnt fuel air mix straight out the exhaust hence the high hydrocarbon count. On adjusting the tappets and retesting the hydrocarbon count dropped to less than 300ppm - all good. Only running to 3800rpm on the dyno it produced 15kw (about 20.5 bhp) at the back wheels - this would equate to about 27bhp at the engine - but as revs were only 3800, the engine is probably capable of producing just over 30bhp if taken to redline.

This work has made my haffie a much better performer - for sure top speed has increased by about 10kph and revs by about 800rpm but the real increase is torque at my 65-70kph (4000rpm) cruising speed. This has resulted in much better pulling power and on the highway maintaining cruise speed rather than dropping off when it sees a hill. The mechanic did say that he thought the muffler tail pipe was a bit small even for a Haflinger.

The lesson is make sure tappet clearances are regularly checked and adjusted.

Now all I have to do is chase a dodgy noisy bearing in the front end, change clutch bearings/bushes, fix the small petrol leak when the fuel pipe comes from the tank and stop the oil leaks from the diff end of the front and rear swing arms.

Cheers

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
1957 Landrover 88"