716 and 718 tire sizes

Mods, resto projects, library resources and anything else diesel related.
Sethsquatch
United States of America

Re: ATL Pinzgauer 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)

Post by Sethsquatch »

What kinda tires are you rolling David? Are those the stock wheels?
1990 718MW. Work in progress... (like they all are.)
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Tires are BFG Mud Terrains 285/75-16. Wheels are factory stock also.
This is what ATL installed on the 2.5 TDI.
I would not install these tires on a earlier 2.4TD. If you didn't like dragging 6 wheels, 285's add drag and scuffing. 255/85 are the same height and a little over an inch narrower. For reference, my P80 716 (aka The Pink Cow) had 255/85 on it, I changed to 8.25 XZL (34" tall). The 255's did much better, allowing the engine to turn higher rpm and a better top end. The 34s were bit too much for the engine .... but the Pink Cow was pretty. :mrgreen: surf the web. Years ago a friend in the UK gave me list of best tire sizes for different versions of TD's. Right now, all I remember is 235/85 for the P80 , I'll see if I can find the list.
BTW, What size are you running now?
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Sethsquatch
United States of America

Post by Sethsquatch »

David Dunn wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:00 pm Tires are BFG Mud Terrains 285/75-16. Wheels are factory stock also.
This is what ATL installed on the 2.5 TDI.
I would not install these tires on a earlier 2.4TD. If you didn't like dragging 6 wheels, 285's add drag and scuffing. 255/85 are the same height and a little over an inch narrower. For reference, my P80 716 (aka The Pink Cow) had 255/85 on it, I changed to 8.25 XZL (34" tall). The 255's did much better, allowing the engine to turn higher rpm and a better top end. The 34s were bit too much for the engine .... but the Pink Cow was pretty. :mrgreen: surf the web. Years ago a friend in the UK gave me list of best tire sizes for different versions of TD's. Right now, all I remember is 235/85 for the P80 , I'll see if I can find the list.
BTW, What size are you running now?
So I went to discount tire today, and it's a bit of a mystery to them. The wheels are 6.5 inches wide, 16 inch diameter, the tires are 34 inches tall, but only 7 inches wide or so, of actual tread. They look ridiculous. I'd love to get a different, slightly wider wheel, but like you said that's more friction to turn x6. So on the stock wheel, they were pretty limited to what tire they were able to get for that narrow wheel, it'd end up being more than 2 inches shorter, and I think that would look goofy, as well as kill even more speed. (of which there's very little...) I'll look into the 255/85. They did find the wheels are the same as a Porsche cayenne or vw Toureg. But wheels looked a bit.... Beverly hills for the pinz. :DD
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Why don't you just shoot yourself in the foot? :roll: Fix your mechanical issues first. Then look at tires, if they are 34 ", then probably are 8.25s, that is too tall . Your top speed and ability to get there WILL suffer.
I didn't realize any Porsche rims fit the TD pattern, but did the gassers, but lack the weight rating for Pinz or toughness for offroad. G Wagons use the same pattern as the TD Pinzes, BUT only some will fit due to brake clearance.

Also look for the last few posts to be moved to start a new thread.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Joeri
Belgium

Post by Joeri »

Steel g rims have a offset of 63...the pinzgauer 73 and that is why g rims only fit if you use half worn brakepads ....with new ones they will hit the brakecalliper. Porsche uses 5x 130 same as the td pinz, but so dous ssangyong ...i have there rims on my 716 with 255-85/16 bf mk2 muds . Tyers....Well for me the only one that fits and looks good on a pinz is the 255-85/16 i had them on my 2 710m's and on my 710k ....even on my tgb 1111 and my c303....it yust fits perfect. Oh and yes i i have succesfuly put a 5 cyl TDI in my 716 ....it makes a difference! ....for your 718....i would probebly go for the 285-75/16
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

716 and 718 tire sizes

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Tire topic moved to this new thread-
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Sethsquatch
United States of America

Post by Sethsquatch »

David Dunn wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:41 am Why don't you just shoot yourself in the foot? :roll: Fix your mechanical issues first. Then look at tires, if they are 34 ", then probably are 8.25s, that is too tall . Your top speed and ability to get there WILL suffer.
I didn't realize any Porsche rims fit the TD pattern, but did the gassers, but lack the weight rating for Pinz or toughness for offroad. G Wagons use the same pattern as the TD Pinzes, BUT only some will fit due to brake clearance.

Also look for the last few posts to be moved to start a new thread.
LOL! I just like to have all my bases covered. Unfortunately I hadn't read the post about coolant adding and I just popped the radiator cap and added fluid, and it drove fine? I have a mechanic nearby who is familiar with Pinzgauers and I'll probably take it to him for the oil leak. It's pretty substantial unfortunately. I kinda figured the Porsche wheels would be too weak. I'll probably just paint my wheels and go with the tallest tire I can get which will still be smaller than the current. Thanks for moving the thread, I get excited and just reply to what I'm looking at. Don't mean to muddy the waters. :)
Sethsquatch
United States of America

Re: 716 and 718 tire sizes

Post by Sethsquatch »

Tires are ordered. Appointment Monday. Dumb question but better than something breaking, what are safe jacking locations for the tire shop? Can they jack on the rear diff housing? I assume they'll do it by hand and not a lift. I see my body is wrinkled in front of the doors on the corners like maybe someone jacked there in the past. I know the body isn't suitable. Thx!