Paerts, bits and pieces, etc etc

Mods, resto projects, library resources and anything else diesel related.
fesm_ndt

Paerts, bits and pieces, etc etc

Post by fesm_ndt »

G'Day

Just getting involved in Pinzgauer 816 with the purchase being finalized in 3 weeks.

I see a lot of the part information in here with cross references to other vehicles etc. Also saw a comment regarding making up a list was that ever completed and available?

I am also chasing overhaul and service manuals, does anyone have a source or pdf items? I am trying to get a copy of the military ones of a mate so will update if can.

Specific questions:

1. wiper arms - are they off other cars as mine are missing?
2. mirrors - same problem ie. missing?
3. part supplier for the front tow pin?
4. front tool bin is missing. My guess this is the battery one? I havent got into that bit yet but will need a replacement preferably second hand so anyone know of second hand parts supplier? I seen new..
5. wheel rims - second hand?
6. dash gauges - some peanut has smashed the speedo and tacho. So would need the Smiths numbers if anyone has any?

I suppose the previously mentioned parts cross reference list is whats needed.

Kindest Regards

Mike
Ugo

Post by Ugo »

Hi Mike,

Guess you're not an US citizen (like me), as north Americans cannot register TD pinzies. Are you sure yours is a 816? Never heard of it.
The easiest way to get spare parts is to ask Ms. Karine Bertalanics at the factory (Steyr-Daimler-Puch, now Magna Steyr).
Some small companies in the UK sell NOS parts from stocks surplussed by the British army, you may find what you're looking for if you are lucky.
You will find some of these companies by making a google search.
Try also UK ebay.
The only parts in your list that are common with other vehicles (as far as I know) are:
- mirrors (Marcedes "G-wagen" offroad car)
- dash gauges (VDO standard parts, can be bought aftermarket).

Cheers,
Ugo
1988 716K
Torino, Italy
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

G'Day Ugo

Oops! Should be a 1994 716!

I was up way too late last night trying to chase more info as I tend to get a bit obsessive with finding information. I can do most things myself but need the info to be able to do it.

Most stuff I find is for 710's so found very little in the past 24 hours. I found some of the dealers but this fourm seems to be the most informative. I will keep tracking down the military overhaul books via my contacts.

Would you think Ms. Karine Bertalanics might have specific manuals, ie my guess is the UK versions would be slightly different from the Swiss ones etc.

Nope not US based. I is an Aussie :lol:

Regards

Mike
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

G'Day Mike,

My ears pricked up when you said you were an Aussie!

Are you in Oz?....if so I didn't know we had any 716's in the country. There is a privately owned one in NZ and a ex Military tender 718 unit still in tender company hands.
I have a 710-1.6 hybrid factory prototype which is basically a 716 with an air-cooled motor!
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

G'Day Peter

Well that will make my day if it's the first one.......

I am keeping it under wraps at present as I am in the midst of the deal. I have a bit of work to do on it, bits missing etc but they are a nice buggy.

Of interest I may be able to lay my hands on another, but again waiting on the first deal to go through as that is the important one.

Regards

Mike
Ugo

Post by Ugo »

fesm_ndt wrote: Would you think Ms. Karine Bertalanics might have specific manuals, ie my guess is the UK versions would be slightly different from the Swiss ones etc.
Mike,
I've got user, parts and workshop manuals appropriate for the most of TD's produced by SDP. They are 90% correct for my Pinz too (it is a civilian model made for a Swedish electric company).
Manuals for later versions could be procured at the UK company which produced those vehicles after buying production line and tools from SDP.
I don't know name and address of that company, but a google search would be of help.
The only document I have concerning UK TD's is the user manual. I can e-mail it if you like, just let me know your e-mail address.

Regards,
Ugo
David Dunn
United States of America

Re: Paerts, bits and pieces, etc etc

Post by David Dunn »

fesm_ndt wrote: I am also chasing overhaul and service manuals, does anyone have a source or pdf items? I am trying to get a copy of the military ones of a mate so will update if can.

Specific questions:

1. wiper arms - are they off other cars as mine are missing?
2. mirrors - same problem ie. missing?
3. part supplier for the front tow pin?
4. front tool bin is missing. My guess this is the battery one? I havent got into that bit yet but will need a replacement preferably second hand so anyone know of second hand parts supplier? I seen new..
5. wheel rims - second hand?
6. dash gauges - some peanut has smashed the speedo and tacho. So would need the Smiths numbers if anyone has any?

I suppose the previously mentioned parts cross reference list is whats needed.

Kindest Regards

Mike
Hi Mike
1) The wiper arms should be easily adaptable from another vehicle...just a matter whether it is LHD or RHD (the 716/18s will have a different sweep for both)
2) As Ugo said, the MB G wagons used the same mirror mounts ( though some UK spec'ed truck had a 2 point mount to them).
3) The front tow pin mount is of a typical size, I made a winch mount for the Pink Cow that mimics the UK spec ones.
4) Tool / battery boxes are the same as on the 710/12s.
5) On the rims, most are 16", which you may be able to sorce from a MB Sprinter,or possily from a military G wagon ( if it has 16", instead of 15s)
BUT, Austrian TD Pinzes were susposedly fitted with 17" rims ( somehow, my "Swedish spec " 716 came with a 17" spare tire and rim :? )
6) VDO

Pinzgauer, which was Automotive Technik Ltd. ( ATL) has gone though a couple of ownership changes in the last few years, and is currently owned by BAE.... I didn'thave the best of luck dealing with their parts department years ago, and would guess it's worse now under BAE about talking to rivate owners (though I haven't called them for a few years).

I have 2 different parts book and the numbers are different on a lot of parts :roll: .

Ugo, didn't I send the electric manual to you, on the lockers and rear air suspension, with troubleshooting guide ?

Dave
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

G'Day Dave

I sent a reply to your email, thanks for that. When the deal goes through and I have the car in my yard we are going to have to do some picture swapping.

This winch mount you are talking about will be very interesting as I saw a snippet on one of them somewhere.

Regards

Mike
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

G'Day Ugo

I will send a PM in a sec as anything I can get to read would be good. The user manual should have a picture of the dash in it.

I still hope to source the Mil ones as I can then get them scanned, pdf'd at work.

Regards

Mike
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Dave, would the 1994 still be p80?
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

It should be a P93, But, I have seen a P80 passed off as a 1992 ( well into the P90 time frame), and it wasn't too far off of chassis number as the Pink Cow.

That being said, in Europe, there are vehicles that are given the year when they were sold by the factory, and not the year manufactured.

In the UK, Land Rover 101s were manufactured from '72 to '78, the ambulance bodies weren't approved or fitted to basic platforms until the '80s and they got the year made as when they were completed. So you would see '81 to '84 101s being sold.

I've heard of people that had gotten the Land Rover factory to supply a date of manufacture letter to get 101 Ambulances imported into North America under the 25 year rule (15 in Canada)

Things are not as clean cut as they look. :?

David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Also Erik, to confuse you more.... not too difficult :wink:

In '72, the British set aside a block of '72 registratin numbers for the 101s, and issued them irregardless of year manufactured. No big deal... but when a 101 made in '75 was sold in some of the other countries in Europe, they looked at the registration number and issued a road licence for 1972 Land Rover

fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

I have to concur with the dates and different meanings..

- My Lightweight by the UK licensing was deemed a 2000 release as this was the first date of registration. The body manufactured date is 1983.

- I say body as in the UK, my understanding is the chassis for all intensive purposes is the car. A chassis built before '73 incurs no road tax over there so the demand is quite high and they get put under newer bodies. I have heard stories of 73 chassis under Defenders etc.

"I wonder if you could pull that one in the states... the chassis is 1980 officer" :)

- on the chassis bit, if you replace a chassis with a new replacement one, say today, the car would then be considered a 2009 build. Funny enough many have made this mistake and swapped back.

Different rules different places. Aussie is if older than 1st of January 1989 it is easy. After '89 I have to own it longer than 12 months, I live overseas, with it, then I can import it (sounds like a defacto marriage)........

we been having a bit of a discussion on the side about military eccentricities as well as they tend to mix and match bits.

Regards

Mike
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

What State are you in Mike?

I guess you are into Landies as well going by your avatar ..... I'm in the LROCV.
Did you go to Cooma?
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

ok can get back in here now.

I been overseas since '96 but the folks live in Kalgoorlie so I want to do this to the Pinz....... i.e. turn it red :twisted:

The plan will be to do accross Aus again early '10 on leave

Regards

Mike