Hope you are going to let me into this forum

Mods, resto projects, library resources and anything else diesel related.
Dreadnought

Hope you are going to let me into this forum

Post by Dreadnought »

My wife and I are just having a 1972 Pinzgauer 710K converted to a Mercedes Diesel here in England. The small company who are doing this (one Mechanic - but he is a Haflinger and pinz enthusiast of many years standing - owns the only ex Brit Army 710 that I have heard of outside the Army,s clutches -thats the latest one with the Audi 5 pot engine and RHD as well.) have converted one other a 712 6x6 the owner may even be here somewhere. As these are the only 2 Merc conversions in UK, I hope to keep the forum informed as to progress and how well the installation performs. (apparently around 30 MPG for the 6x6) The engine fitted is a non turbo, non electronic engine (keep it simple) (I have put up a similar "hello" post in the general chat area) The conversion sounds to be well engineered with the starter and electrics converted to 24v, a radiator and new nose cone fitted, but as I said I will keep the forum informed as to progress. Regards Steve and Dorota Cooper (will post pics as soon as we have them and find out how to post them here)
Aiming to introduce UK Politicians to Piano wire and Lamposts!
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Hi Steve
Welcome to the world of Pinzes.... unfortunately for you, your Pinz will have the shortcoming of the 710/12 models, and upgrading to what a TD Pinz has, would be an expensive and sometimes impossible ( short of reinventing the wheel). As I tell people, comparing the 710/12 to the 716/18 is like comparing a '60s VW Beetle to the new Beetle... ( you could use Series vs Defenders, but they are much more similar to each other) :wink:

The TDs are done on a 8" longer wheelbase and body , a "mirrored" chassis of the 710/12, a completely different gearing in the transfer case (middle diff), and a taller gearbox ( which hurts the lower gearing offroad when stuffed into a 710). Diffs are slighly different gearing, and the portals are completely different, also in gearing and casings, plus longer axles. Different wheel lug patterns.

As you wrote in the other forum, you have had LRs for many years, and must be familar with the horror stories of people putting low rpm diesels into the Series and FC Rovers, only to end up with an 'enclosed tractor' :wink: because they failed to address the the lack of rpms and the low gearing of the gearbox and rear end ratio.

I'd like to know more on which diesel, and rpm range, and if he changes the gearbox. And if so, what is the gearing.

Dave Dunn
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

Hi Dave, This is just a quick reply and I will give much more information as I have it. I do have experience of the things you mention (Older Perkins Diesels in L/Rs - Truck Loads of Torque from just past tick-over revs, but then revs limited and a top speed of 40MPH!!!!, with Landrover the simple answer is to put in Range Rover Diffs and an overdrive, which is as I said very simple on a Landrover but much more complex or unavailable for the Pinz??? The Diesel going in is an example as used in The Mercedes Sprinter Van (Light Commercial beloved of the parcel delivery/courier industry) and is a relatively high revving unit, (Those vans have regularly passed me on the Motorway at around 90MPH) very far advanced from my first Diesel Powered car (1972 Mercedes 200D). I will be giving performance data and my views on the usability of the vehicle, plus pics of the installation. I take delivery at the end of June and I think my wife has perfected the method of putting pics up on the forum, (she was sending test pics last night - to my lap-top at least!!!!!) Thankyou so much for the info on the later Pinz, I think I had best start putting pennies/shillings in a jar for one of the later models eventually!!! Regards Steve Cooper
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Steve
I gave the LR as an example you're quickly understand :D ( I've had LRs for 28 years, and an enthusiast for a lot more). The Pinz is unique in the the diffs and portals , as there are not "off the shelf" different gear sets. The tranfer case are also limited.
The main gearbox is about the only thing that can be played with for gearing ( and at a cost to the Pinz capability somewhere, usually, offroad and performance). In the TDs, the combo of the OD trans and the wider spaced gearing of the transfer case makes the higher road speeds and the same low range gearing of the 712 possible . Though there has been a few that have installed a OD unit where the cardon shaft is, there is really no room there for the unit and a slip and universal joint. The Pinz's central tube twists and flexes while doing offroad maneuvers. causing some angles to the cardon shaft, probably the reason for the output bearings going bad on the gearbox on many Pinzes ( quite common to grab the cardon shaft up near the gearbox and be able to move the shaft up and down). Unknown to most here, is that the cardon shaft is 4" to 6" longer on the TDs over the earlier 710/12 ( even when the 716/18 was fitted with a autobox)
As I know you joined the Yahoo TD group, go into the file section there and download some of the manuals.... you'll see some interesting differencess between gas and diesel models ( if you have the 710/12 manuals to compare with).

As I neither like to read or write long posts ( my 3 finger rule), signing off

Cheers
Dave

Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

( my 3 finger rule)
I thaught it was your one fingure rule. :lol:

Why couldn't one just take part number 7161340371 wheel flange. and use it as a starting point.
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

Thanks Dave, I,m sure I can learn much from you, I,ll keep this short too. I have already looked at some parts of the manual, I will have to read it from cover to cover eventually. I,ll put up some pics of my Landrover as well (just spent a couple of hours re-wiring it....I have lights...well some lights!!)
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Erik712m wrote:
( my 3 finger rule)
I thaught it was your one fingure rule. :lol:

Why couldn't one just take part number 7161340371 wheel flange. and use it as a starting point.
That rule apply to you only ... :D

You can take that part and use it for a starting point, and then add more for a bigger collection of paper weights.
If you look at the part, it is nothing like the 710/12