US diesel 718 TD's

Mods, resto projects, library resources and anything else diesel related.
fesm_ndt

US diesel 718 TD's

Post by fesm_ndt »

Interesting that the topic never moved in here :D

I just thought I'd start a new thread if anyone has any technical questions (hopefully the political can stay in the for sale forum).

I have bought 2 P90 716 and one P93 718 and disaasembled the lot. As I saw in the other threads it was mentioned TD's are batch type vehicle so can be huge differences and between P90, P93 there is a lot.

So thought I would post if people need help working out what is what. Basically repaying the forum for the great help Dave gave me when I posted in here nearly 2 years ago "Just getting involved in Pinzgauer 816 with the purchase being finalized in 3 weeks." (at least at the noob stage I still spelt Pinzgauer correctly :roll: )

forgot to mention:

- Dave TD group autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/pinzgauer_td/ (some books and interesting topics)
- this has a thread on my TD rebuild hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?15553-Pinzgauer-Rebuild (need to sign up to see piccies)
- My website is a collection of photos and info also
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
fesm_ndt

Re: US diesel 718 TD's

Post by fesm_ndt »

:? too quiet. Has anyone got any piccies of these things in service?
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
cubdriver55
United States of America

Post by cubdriver55 »

I bought one of the 718s from GL and I am sure I will be needing some tech advice when I start working on it. I had my wife pick it up and she said it runs great and drives really good. I am back in Alaska now so I will not be there working on it till fall but I know I will need help then since I do not know anything about them. I am in the middle of building a new Supercub now so at least it is something I know a little about. Thanks steve
Maguyvah

Post by Maguyvah »

I have also purchased a 718m from GL. It is a 2001 P90. It runs and drives excellent. I am interested to meet fellow Pinzie owners in the New Hampshire USA area. I will post photos soon. I am a lifelong vw-porsche-audi mechanic and found the 718m to be very familiar albeit larger!
cubdriver55
United States of America

Post by cubdriver55 »

How did you determine the model and year of your 718?
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

I am assuming you are guessing at the year from the VIN...that digit is if they are lhd, or rhd. International ViNs do not have the year of manufacture in it. Look at the last 4 digits (preceded by zeros), the chassis # will be a better indicator of year.... Now for the kicker, all those GL trucks were outfitted as P90s, but some of the VINs show they were made in the 80's and upgraded to P90s when sold to the US....(can we say NOS :lol: ). Somewhat common practice with some Euro manufacturers. LR made 101s from '72 to'78, but there are 101Ambs registered as 82 to 84 because they weren't completed til then.. Same is true with some SDP Pinzes.... Some of those GL trucks are older than my 716 :shock: .
Also, the Pinz factory was disassembled and moved to the UK from 2000 to 2002.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

BTW, the only year I have ever found on a TD was on the t case and trans data plates... And that is good only for those parts Manu date

cubdriver55
United States of America

Post by cubdriver55 »

What in the vin # tells if it is an 80s model that was upgraded or a 90s model? Also what year were these sold to the US?
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

There is nothing in the VIN that gives the date... TDs started at 00001 and go up ... I'm up in Death Valley for the weekend, so don't have much access to what SDP had put into the manual, but iirc, up to just under chassis #2000 were originally built as P80s...but apparently by the time they were sold, some were P90s.
At least one of the GL trucks had a P93 shroud... But the truck wasn't

fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

The only way of getting a legitimate date is to request a build certificate from SDP

As Dave says off the VAG number is a guess. 5003 is a 98 P93 model (I just looked at that one so was in my memory bank

My p90 are around 3500 ish
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

David Dunn wrote:TDs started at 00001 and go up ...
Another date with number

00002 is a 1984 build..................... Still exists, is a nice looking vehicle and it is deemed preproduction

the next obvious question is what happened to 00001?
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

David Dunn wrote:TDs started at 00001 and go up ...
Another date with number

00002 is a 1984 build..................... Still exists, is a nice looking vehicle and it is deemed 'i think' pre-production

the next obvious question is what happened to 00001?
Last edited by fesm_ndt on Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Post by ExpeditionImports »

Remove the front cowl. Look at the upper radiator lines. The trucks that were "upgraded" were upgraded with a sawzall to get the required clearance for the radiator hoses. It's pretty clear non-factory. The factory upgraded trucks have different panels with clearancing for the hoses. As per SDP build cards the ones that we have are 1987 and 1993 model years.

From what I understand the Military did not buy them all at once, but bought them in a couple of batches. I would bet that the cooling upgrade was done stateside to bring the older trucks up to par.

Cheers,

Scott
Expedition Imports Corporation
Vallejo, California
www.expedition-imports.com
"You didn't buy a Chevy..." "Hows that Amazon tech support working out...."
sdp6x6

Post by sdp6x6 »

They were chosen because they were airmobile via helo.
Last edited by sdp6x6 on Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
sdp6x6

Post by sdp6x6 »

Maguyvah wrote:I have also purchased a 718m from GL. It is a 2001 P90. It runs and drives excellent. I am interested to meet fellow Pinzie owners in the New Hampshire USA area. I will post photos soon. I am a lifelong vw-porsche-audi mechanic and found the 718m to be very familiar albeit larger!
I'm in New England also PM me.