US diesel 718 TD's

Mods, resto projects, library resources and anything else diesel related.
cubdriver55
United States of America

Re: US diesel 718 TD's

Post by cubdriver55 »

I am still not making any sence out of these vin tags . I guess perhaps I should just use the vin #s I have found but I just wanted to make sure they were correct. The tag is just where the passenger would put his knee and it is VAG21110000090 the chasis data tag has the same #. This does not add up for a 718 with auto trans and the p90 grill. There is no modification on the radiator hose area so I don't think it is an old one that has been retrofitted. The number on the engine is 075129713 then Germany KTS3 and in another spot 3.12.84 The gross vehicle weight is 3500KG. There is also a tag on the body near the vin tag that says A8680537013. Thanks for any insight you might have. Steve
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

090 is a very early chassis . period! Mike and I have explain the numbering and where they are at... find the number on the central tube.

Your truck VIN should be:
VAG7183121 0000090
V = Europe
A = Austria
G = Steyr Daimler Puch
718 = Pinzgauer 3 axle model
3 = long model 6x6
1 = open vehicle
2 = 2.4 l TD engine w/ auto trans
1 = LHD

The last 7 digits are the chassis number in production ( all early vehicles had only 6 digits)

The evolution of cooling systems on TDs
From a repair manual:
P80 radiator covers used on with orignal TD up to # 264
Cooling system upgraded from #265 to #1790 ( still P80 cover)
Version "C" is from #1791 to #1936 ( the vertical cover)
Version "D" from #1937 on.

These were how the cooling system were to be from the factory originally... from obvious examples, some of these trucks aren't out there this way. I know of one truck the owner was told it was a P90 by SDP, but the plumbing was P80.
Another 718 Amb was sold at auction a few years back as a '92, but the radiator cover was P80 and the VIN was lower than mine.

Also, GVW for a 718 is 4500kg
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
cubdriver55
United States of America

Post by cubdriver55 »

I am sorry when I typed in vin # last time I left off the 716. The vin is VAG71621110000090. yes it is 716 and the tag on the chasis is the exact same # . As you can see from the pictures of thes vehicles they do have a p90 front grill and there is no sighn of cutting around radiator hoses to fit different shroud. I guess it will remain a mystery. Both data tags have the same identical # and I can not see uncle sam changing data tags. Thanks Steve
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

You'll need to contact Steyr to figure out what you have. The first 10 digits should be what I posted.... maybe you have a "Johnny Cash" Cadillac... a '57,58.59.. one fin fender, dual headlamps on on side, and single on the other... the government bought it one piece at a time :lol:

As far as the P90 cover... there are several 710s and 712s running around with P80 covers, and they're still 710 and 12s... you need have to pull the cover off and look at the radiator, also the plumbing on the right side of the engine.

fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

I have passed it on to a freind of mine at SDP.

No garuntee of an answer as it's not really his department, I just asked him if he knew anything odd about this lot apart from the weird modifications.

If you get a chance can you email over a photo of the VIN plate but from what you said it sounds like a SDP plate.
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

David Dunn wrote:You'll need to contact Steyr to figure out what you have. The first 10 digits should be what I posted.... maybe you have a "Johnny Cash" Cadillac... a '57,58.59.. one fin fender, dual headlamps on on side, and single on the other... the government bought it one piece at a time :lol:

As far as the P90 cover... there are several 710s and 712s running around with P80 covers, and they're still 710 and 12s... you need have to pull the cover off and look at the radiator, also the plumbing on the right side of the engine.

Hahaha. Our it was assembled in Florida from parts laying around to complete the order. "Just throw a vin on it'll never make it to the private market any how.
sdp6x6

Post by sdp6x6 »

Expedition imports is already putting them together.
http://expeditionimports.blogspot.com/2 ... itary.html
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Post by ExpeditionImports »

We spent the last 3 days at the MVCC meet at Tower Park with one of the 718's looking for information in regards to setting it back to original. We did get a god bit of feedback and information on potential armaments. We have a potential lead from an actual operator that had photo's of them in actual operation. The plan is to set at least one of the trucks up as used in 2003 in Iraq. Should be a fun endeavor. If anyone has any non-classified information that they would be willing to discuss we would love to hear it.

Specifically looking for how the side rail attachments were used. Confirmation of camo netting supports coming off the bumpers. Weapons equipped with, etc. Also interested in the quick connects for the fuel system....thinking these were for Aux. tanks that could be dumped after they were empty.

Cheers,

Scott
Expedition Imports Corporation
Vallejo, California
www.expedition-imports.com
"You didn't buy a Chevy..." "Hows that Amazon tech support working out...."
cubdriver55
United States of America

Post by cubdriver55 »

I got the build card info back and the vin is a PINZGAUER TURBO D 4x4 M for the US Army, Canvas Top Version, Production Date was 13 02 1987. Everything seems to match except this is a 6 wheel vehicle. Does anyone know if the US Army ever bought any 4x4 versions? I am thinking that when the order came in for the 718s from the US that they took a 4x4 and made it into a 6x6 to complete the order. This vehicle looks like it was updated around the radiator area but not with a sawzall, it looks like a factory job. What do you think?
cubdriver55
United States of America

Post by cubdriver55 »

Also can any one tell me if the top from a 712 will fit a 718? The Tuff River people seem to think they are the same but I want to make sure before I order one. Thanks Steve
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

cubdriver55 wrote:Also can any one tell me if the top from a 712 will fit a 718? The Tuff River people seem to think they are the same but I want to make sure before I order one. Thanks Steve
NO , longer and cab is different

ExpeditionImports
United States of America

The additional length of a 718 versus 712 is behind the front bow, in front of the bed wall. That means that the 712 top WILL NOT fit......

Not sure on your bastard Vin.......I would highly doubt the factory build card and vin tags would be incorrect if the work was done at the factory. Perhaps military contractor was responsible. Don't worry about it....only impacts the value if you are going to sell it! :mrgreen:

Putting together photo documentation (Sparse) but I have photo's of them in Iraq in 1991, Obviously the 1987 units, and Iraq in 2003 for the assault on the Haditha Dam Complex. They definitely have an interesting past.

Cheers,

Scott
Vallejo, California
cubdriver55
United States of America

Post by cubdriver55 »

Since the top is longer behind the front bow does that mean the cab portion of the top is the same? As for the vin I was just trying to get as close as possible before sending in the sf97 and perhaps just curiosity. I am not selling the vehicle and once I get it back in the bush it will most likly never come out so it really makes no difference anyway. Thanks Steve
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

NO!, the front is different too... windshield frame is higher and sides over door is longer

ExpeditionImports
United States of America

What you want is the Gov. title to Match at least 2 locations on the truck. Doesn't matter what it says as long as it matches up. As far as your DMV is concerned if the Title says the vin is 12345, and the verifier confirms 2 locations on the vehicle with 12345 then that is great.

My SF97's so far have all said "ATV".......May or may not be an issue in some states.

Cheers,

Scott
Vallejo, California