US diesel 718 TD's

Mods, resto projects, library resources and anything else diesel related.
Erik712m

Re: US diesel 718 TD's

Post by Erik712m »

Scott last sale did not sale atv. the no running one. Did you pull pic off rand? also I have got a few picks fromAfrica if I can get promition to share.
dave total window height appears to be the same at least parking them next to each other the gap is at the wiper area. doesnt seam a true 4" but 3 and sum
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Erik,
I don't care what you think. I made the front top for the conversion of my 716 while I still had my 712, and know what and where the differences are.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
cubdriver55
United States of America

Post by cubdriver55 »

The data tag in the cab and the data tag on the frame are both the same so I think I will just use that # and send it in. Are there any other data tags? I don't even really need the sf97 except for the fact I have allways got one just incase I ever sold a vehicle. I see they sell a fiberglass top for the cab. Is this a good option? Thanks Steve
cubdriver55
United States of America

Post by cubdriver55 »

Dave Since you have had both tops side by side do you think the folks at Tuff River could make a top from their pattern with a few modifictions or is it harder than just adding a few inches here and there? Do you know of anyone who has a pattern and could build a top without having the vehicle there? Thanks Steve
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

I built mine to the truck. Before I had done anything to the truck ( aka remove the K hardtop, cut door frames), I knew what was the same between the 716 and 710, and what were different , AND why ( it was a major decision to make a "KM" on an extremely rare truck in the US, especially in 2003).

What bows, hoops and brackets you're using, will determine how the top should be made. I used Swiss 712M parts, which are different than Austrian.
I have seen pics of varies 716/18s that have had similar parts as mine, and others that are completely different. Though I can tell you where the difference is, I wouldn't want to have my top made off it. I have the field kitchen trailer that I'm going to have a new canvas for (the old one is still very serviceable), but am still taking the trailer for fitting

cubdriver55
United States of America

Post by cubdriver55 »

Thanks Dave It sounds like my best bet might be to find someone local and have them make me a top to fit. I do not need it to look original in fact I might even see if I can fabriate a fiberglass one. If I can avoid anything cloth or canvas might be better since bears tend to tear them up so bad.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Mine is far from "what" might be consider stock. It also isn't canvas, but material similar to the Swiss Pinzes

This is link to some pics of my top

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a130/ ... 1QQtppZZ16

Unfortunately, the early pics of the fabrication of the cab section were on SDP-Pinzgauer site, which is isn't there , again. And don't know where I have them :roll:

fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

this one?
http://www.sdp-pinzgauer.org/html/diy_canvas_top.html

Will be looking at mine tomorrow
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Yeap Mike, that's the one. The cab section was very easy to make. The same as folding a paper airplane, and glueing it together. Only used rivets to attached straps. I even made the straps from the same material, just laminated several layers....with only an idea of what I wanted, I made most of the front section in less than a day

fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

Just looking through my photo collections

This is what a 716 and 718 VIN / VAG plate looks like

716 Image

718 Image
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
cubdriver55
United States of America

Post by cubdriver55 »

The other odd thing about my data tag is even though it shows a 716 and has the gross weight at 3500 it also has a weight for all 3 axles 1500 1500 and 1750. just more food for thought. Thanks Steve
cubdriver55
United States of America

Post by cubdriver55 »

I was giving those weights by memory I just checked and they are 3500KG and 1750 1750 1850 Thanks Steve
cubdriver55
United States of America

Post by cubdriver55 »

Ok delete my previous 2 posts I have had someone trying to explain what was on the data tags and I finally got some pictures which I will try to post on here. The vin is VAG71621110000090 and it is the same on both tags. The weights are 3500KG total and 1750 axle 1 1850 axle 2 and blank for axle 3. The vin is a 7 digit even though it is a low # but the build card for #90 shows it was built in 1987 which would have had a 7 digit #.
Maguyvah

Post by Maguyvah »

I too have a GL M718. The vin is VAG71831110000171. I am hoping to pin down the exact year of manufacture to properly title. I have received my plates & reg, but the title dept requested a vin verification. I would like to get this right the first tme so an help would be great. I drove the truck in 3 Memorial day parades and it was very well received.
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

The only way of getting a legitimate date is to request a build certificate from SDP

http://www.s-tec.at/english/65_ENG_asp.asp
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)