Pennsylvania registration

All things not relating to the other forums.
Brickren
United States of America

Pennsylvania registration

Post by Brickren »

Hello. Im getting ready to register my Pinz, and is there anybody in Pennsylvania have any trouble? I wanted to get it registered as a station wagon or a passenger van. Anybody have any luck or problems? Thanks. Brian.
1975 710M
2000 Ural Tourist
GRCameron
United States of America

Re: Pennsylvania registration

Post by GRCameron »

I don't know about Pennsylvania, but in Arizona mine is registered as a 1-ton pickup truck - 1TPU code. Your title document (clear and from whoever you bought it from) should have a code that describes the vehicle. You should also have it identified as historic to save on road taxes. This is what was done for me by my dealer in AZ. I hope this helps.

My insurance identifies it as a Steyr Van...
George Cameron
Yarnell, AZ
1979 Pinz 710M
Molon Labe
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Registration is entirely a state's responsibility, so each state will be different from the others.

You'll have to check to determine whether Pennsylvania has historic plates (or other options) available. Here's a good source for info: http://www.bipac.net/page.asp?content=t ... x&g=SEMAGA

Some states, Wisconsin in particular, took a dislike to former military vehicles, and sought to refuse our registration. In discussions with your DMV, I would not mention that the truck was a former military vehicle unless you are applying for a license that is only available to former military vehicles (such as Wisconsin's Historic Military Vehicle plate, for instance).

Titling is a federal matter (although it's done by the state's DMV) so federal laws apply. If you have a valid out-of-state U.S. title, your DMV is required to perform an instant title verification check to find stolen vehicles as part of their procedure. If the truck has not been titled in the US yet, then you will need the proper importation documents.

Personally, I have not heard of others having problems in Pennsylvania. Here's a link to a discussion on Steel Soldiers about PA registration of US military vehicles. Should be similar in your situation. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread ... nnsylvania
Pinz710m2

Post by Pinz710m2 »

In my research I found that a bunch of states consider
it an SUV, just like any other passenger vehicle. In IL,
I registered mine as a b-truck (SUV) and got regular
plates. Some states also say that if you get historic
plates, you can't drive it year-round. I thought that was
kinda silly, so I skipped the historic plates.
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Always go with "utility" just like a Jeep or similar type vehicle. Most states it is illegal to carry passengers in the back of a "pick up" :shock:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

I love Idaho... the woman at DMV just asked "Does it have seats in the back?" "Yes" "OK, its an SUV" :D
eat, sleep, Pinzgauer
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

When I first moved to to California with my 712W, the DMV did not know what to do with it. So they sent me to have it "inspected" by the State Police. While I was there, 5 officers were crawling all over it, just loving it. Gave me my papers and sent me back to the DMV to get plates. But the DMV still had a question, tried to get hold of the inspecting officer and couldn't, so the DMV manager came out and said "Does it have seats in the back?" "Yes." "Does it have doors and windows in the back?" "Yes." He turns to the girl at the counter, and says "Then it is a station wagon." I had the only three axle, nine foot tall station wagon in the country... :D
Jim M.
712W and 710M
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

McCall Pinz wrote:I love Idaho... the woman at DMV just asked "Does it have seats in the back?" "Yes" "OK, its an SUV" :D

My experience with Idaho's DMV has been after leaving the DMV I feel guilty for not leaving a tip for the fair and friendly service. :mrgreen:
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Reading all your posts concerning different experiences in different States in the US reflects very much my own experiences here in Australia as like the US we are a Federation of States, so each State has its own rules and each state resists any agreement for uniform across country rules.

Indeed when driving around the country your vehicle can be defected in one state even though your vehicle modifications are perfectly legal in your home state - but at least we only have to deal with 8 different State/Territory jurisdictions, not the 48 or so of the contiguous US.

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"