Motorcycle In A Pinzgauer

All things not relating to the other forums.
nicholastanguma
United States of America

Motorcycle In A Pinzgauer

Post by nicholastanguma »

First time poster here, long while lurker, so hello lads!

I Image searched "dirtbike pinzgauer" and came across this thread, http://www.real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerB ... f=9&t=3249.

I'd like to haul around a dirtbike in the bed of a soft top 710, but I want to weld in or bolt in front and rear wheel chocks to the bed itself. However, the raised triangle on the floor and the rectangle next to it in the bulkhead would be directly in the way of installing the front chock. Is it possible to remove the two features and weld flat plates in their place, or would that be impossible or simply stupid? I'm not even certain what the triangle and rectangle are covering that I might need to gain access to for later maintenance.

crcpinz

Re: Motorcycle In A Pinzgauer

Post by crcpinz »

The short answer is no, unfortunately. You need both accesses. You should remove the pyramid-shaped access to fill the gearbox with oil, or it is easier that way. I usually find mud or other stuff in mine. The left access is important to check or repair the shift linkage. Can't you just carry your motorcycle offset to the left side of the bed, or at an angle to the centerline of the bed? Maybe it won't look as tidy, but it'll work. The other possibility is to carry the bike further aft. Anyways, 710s like to carry weight further back. Good luck.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1976 710K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000163282080
nicholastanguma
United States of America

Such a quick reply, and with relevant info; thanks!

Okay, so carrying the bike, which would be a Yamaha TW200, farther aft seems a doable idea. The TW is a very small moto (official specs list wheelbase as a mere 52.2 inches and overall length as a mere 82.3), so perhaps if I were to have the rear tire butted up against the inside of the tailgate when the gate's closed I could gain enough room to avoid front tire contact with the triangular gearbox cover.

Any idea what the length of the triangle is front to back?

And yes, in case you're wondering, I am overly concerned with symmetry, both functional and aesthetic. I want that bike centered up if at all possible!
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

There is another way.....

Build a bracket which you fit to the top of the vertical face that the "triangle" hatch is on, into which you can put the front wheel of the TW200.

In other words, lift the front wheel off the bed - you can always make the bracket so it can be removed by making it a bolt on affair rather than welding something to the truck.

John
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Please put your location in your profile if you wish to find the closest resources :idea:
2 long strips, or 4 short strips of E trax and 2 sets of straps and you are done :shock: Bike stays centered and secured, straps are removable 8)
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
nicholastanguma
United States of America

Jim LaGuardia wrote::idea:
2 long strips, or 4 short strips of E trax and 2 sets of straps and you are done :shock: Bike stays centered and secured, straps are removable.
E trax? Just Googled it but came up empty. Please explain or provide a weblink, Mr. Jim?
nicholastanguma
United States of America

Oh, wait. E trax are E tracks. Got it.