Introduction. I finally bought one, I am in San Antonio

All things not relating to the other forums.
Texas710
United States of America

Introduction. I finally bought one, I am in San Antonio

Post by Texas710 »

Hello everyone.

Purchased my first Pinzgauer (710M) out in Arizona and trucked it back to Texas. Got it from a very nice guy who owned it for the last 10 or so years, he used this truck a lot, but you can tell it was his baby. Seems like he did everything I have read about upgrades. So far, I have changed all the oils in the truck and it seems to run and drive fine. Might adjust the carbs, but I think I am being picky at this point.

I have some general questions but will post in their appropriate forms. I am really glad this forum is so active, you guys are a wealth of information and I look forward to taking care of and using this beast.

Just waiting for some free time to see how this thing and I work off-road, so far I have just been blowing my neighbors minds driving around the hood.
undysworld
Norway

Re: Introduction. I finally bought one, I am in San Antonio

Post by undysworld »

Hi Texas,
Welcome aboard. Drive that baby.
If you've been wowing the neighbors on-road, get 'em in it and go for a ride off-road. They won't believe it. Have fun!
Paul
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Welcome and you filled out your location so your already ahead of the game :mrgreen:
Post up some pictures and how you got your truck - we all love that kind of stuff!
Andre is only 6 hours north of you in Mt. Pleasant - you can see some of his work here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9381
If you need someone to make some accessories, etc
Dan
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
EmbarkChief
United States of America

Post by EmbarkChief »

Welcome! Always nice to see another owner and especially one from Texas! I'm in Houston but my Pinz resides in Bastrop. If you ever get over my way let me know!

-Kevin
-1972 710M
Texas710
United States of America

Post by Texas710 »

Thanks.

I bought some land out in the Texas hill country and needed a 4x4. I was watching ebay for Jeeps, military broncos, even considered a
Ma Deuce and that's when I discovered the Pinzgauer. The guy wanted like 8,500 for it, but by the time I had thought about it (overnight) and called him, it was sold. That started to hunt for me. The more I read about them, the more I knew it was exactly what I was looking for.

I tried ebay but kept being outbid and transport cost were way out there. I finally started haunting craigslist in other states when I found a few in Arizona. I picked the best out of the lot, great owner, lots of spares and misc parts and things, and drove out to Quartzsite get it. The owner gave us a quick demonstration around Quartzsite and I was sold, everything worked like it was supposed to and I still have a hard time believing the ability of these things.

I originally planned to flat tow it back (PO has all the kit for it) but after reading this forum, decided against that idea. Picked up a U-haul trailer in Phoenix and used that. I would not recommend that option either, U-haul trailers use straps to lock down the front tires, which means the Pinzgauer sits all the way forward, increasing the tongue weight. I think I had 5" of clearance under the hitch. Took a gamble and made it back to Texas but not before blowing out a tire on the trailer. Coincidence maybe, but I plan on getting a flatbed car trailer for trips in the future.

The truck has a CB and a Ham radio (antennas laid down in pictures) Heater, upgraded ignition, flex exhaust, balanced drive shaft, civilian plugs, new batteries, original toolkit, ax, shovel, recovered seats, bed liner under and decent tires and paint on body. Front ball joints look clean, not pitted, and no signs of major oil leaks. No real rust to speak of. Plus, the PO never threw anything away, so I have a lot of original parts and a lot of spare coils and such.

I could go on, but I am sure I am getting long winded. Thanks again and I look forward to working with you guys.
Attachments
rsz_imag0530.jpg
rsz_imag0530.jpg (201.54 KiB) Viewed 5436 times
rsz_imag0533.jpg
rsz_imag0533.jpg (210.25 KiB) Viewed 5436 times
rsz_imag0531.jpg
rsz_imag0531.jpg (226.44 KiB) Viewed 5436 times
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

I remember seeing that truck (recognize the front plate) when it was for sale.
It looks great - congrats and great write-up and pics!
Do they still open up Ft. Hood to the public for off- roading, that was how I spent my 1st date with my wife (Feb 14th Big Texas Outting) but that was years and years ago!
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
EmbarkChief
United States of America

Post by EmbarkChief »

Was that $8,500 Pinz on Craigslist in College Station?
-1972 710M
Texas710
United States of America

Post by Texas710 »

The cheaper one was in Arizona if I remember, it only was listed for a day. It was white and missing the rear top cover, which are expensive...

I like that front plate, but if I can get another I will probably send it back to the PO, I would bet it has some memories, and this aint Arizona. Has the Swiss one in back as well.

I am very happy there are a few Pinzgauers in the area. I would like to learn more about the off road areas around central Texas.
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Welcome, nice looking truck.

For what it's worth for anyone using uhaul trailers, when i used one I used heavy tie-down straps to secure the Pinz to the trailer and since they were there I also used the tire straps, within 100 miles both tire straps had worked loose from the 33 inch tires. The straps may work OK with smaller tires. In hindsight the trailer may also have been better balanced if the 710k had been facing backwards.

Very happy you didn't have a problem, I'm sure you'll enjoy your new truck.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Texas710
United States of America

Post by Texas710 »

Another thing I learned from you guys was to use straps.

4 in total, crossed under truck hooked to the outriggers. This worked very well, but the angles caused the hooks to bend, but the straps held for the 1,000 or so miles. Plus front and rear chains, mostly for extra safety

The Pinz would be better balanced backward, but I'm not sure if towing with all the weight in the rear would be problematic.
andy

Post by andy »

Congratulations. There are quite a few Pinzgauers here in Texas. If you need your truck worked on beyond what you can do, Fritz ' s Auto Service, in Victoria, knows Pinzes. They are in the phone book.
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
EmbarkChief
United States of America

Post by EmbarkChief »

Another thumbs up for Fritz. I've used his services on more than one occasion.
-1972 710M
Texas710
United States of America

Post by Texas710 »

Good to know there are a few Texans on here. Hopefully I won't need Fritz anytime soon but also good to know, doubt there are a lot of those shops out there.
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Could you show me some photos of how you mounted the hi lift in the antenna tubes?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
Texas710
United States of America

Post by Texas710 »

Disclaimer: None of this work was done by me. If it needs something, open to suggestions. Also, I know almost nothing about the radios or antennas I have. I plan to learn something but still new to me. The PO installed silver type insulation material, both for heat and to act as a ground field for one of the radios, I think...

Looks like they mounted plates in the inside of the body for most. For the left side, they have three bolts, one going through what looks like the windshield bracket/reinforcement piece in the upper right of the glove box. Seems sturdy. Up top, there is a base plate under what I am guessing it the original antenna mount, with the thin wire antenna attached by magnet, not sure if that plate is stock.
Attachments
imag0603.jpg
imag0603.jpg (298.63 KiB) Viewed 5210 times
imag0601.jpg
imag0601.jpg (189.8 KiB) Viewed 5210 times
rsz_imag0593[1].jpg
rsz_imag0593[1].jpg (91.94 KiB) Viewed 5210 times
imag0594.jpg
imag0594.jpg (228.5 KiB) Viewed 5210 times
imag0595.jpg
imag0595.jpg (239.73 KiB) Viewed 5210 times