TentCot, anyone?

All things not relating to the other forums.
Shovel Bum

TentCot, anyone?

Post by Shovel Bum »

I've got an off-road trailer with a rooftop tent, but with the new Pinz, I'm sorting out the 24v to 12v issue and hitch configuration. I'll be heading into the field soon, however; probably before these get resolved. I'll be out for seven weeks and I'm thinking about getting a Kamp-Rite TentCot to set up in the back, with the seats folded down. I'm having a hard time finding good dimensions for these tent cots, so while I think it'll fit under the 710M tarp bows, I'd like to be positive before ordering. So I have two questions, if any of you have one of these.

1. What is the maximum width (if you've got the double-wide), length, and height of the TentCot?
2. What has your overall experience with these been?

While made by Kamp-Rite, these are apparently sold most often through Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's, under their respective brand names.

Thanks. Will
krick3tt

Re: TentCot, anyone?

Post by krick3tt »

Kamp - Rite® Lightweight Economy Cot

This is when I camp by myself. I use this one from Sportsman Guide. Not very costly and I bungie it to the bows in the 710. With a roll up pad for sleeping the comfort is well within my limits. Even with a ARB cooler in the back there is room for me to be full out, I'm 6 ft.
For when we go camping together, I use a tent and another one of these cots. I also have the old fashioned military cots for the tent.
You can put two of the Kamp-Rite cots side by side in the back but there is not much room between them, about 14 inches.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Shovel Bum

Post by Shovel Bum »

Perfect! Thank you; that was exactly what I was looking for. Will
landais

Post by landais »

Hi, Will i have a Cabelas de luxe single coat. i can open it or if you want stop by my place.
I live on 38th street in phoenix.Give me a call. 6023501711
Alain
Shovel Bum

Post by Shovel Bum »

Thanks Alain! I won't be able to break away this week, but I'll get a hold of you if something opens up. I really appreciate the offer! Will
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

If you are going to sleep in the back why do you need a cot - why not just a mattress on the floor - in if you were in Aust a traditional Swag on the floor.

The type of cot you mentioned is not popular here as they have poor thermal properties - cold when it is cold and hot when it is hot - mainly due to their cheap polyester material rather than decent canvas.

When I camp in my 101 I sleep on a foam mattress in the back and cuddle up to LPG tank on one side and the fridge on the other side - nice a warm even on -10c nights.

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"
Shovel Bum

Post by Shovel Bum »

Thanks, Garry. Those are good points. I haven't made my mind up just yet. Part of the reason involves mosquitoes of unusual ferocity. I've thought about rigging up mosquito netting, but figured this would likely get in the way when loading and unloading equipment. I'd seen the tent-cots before and thought it might be a perfect little sleeping capsule, leaving the remainder of the bed open. I see what you're saying about thermal properties, but I'll be in SW New Mexico from May to July, so it'll never get very cold. Good things for me to think about, though. Thanks. Will
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

the 24-12 issue is real easy for the trailer. Just pick up one of these
http://www.pinzgauer.com/showdetails.ph ... no=SAV1004

and the female end that matches your trailers male plug. Head over to the Light House is Phoenix with one of the bulbs from the trailer and get the 24V version. You can switch the bulbs back and forth depending on the tow vehicle.
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Shovel Bum wrote:Part of the reason involves mosquitoes of unusual ferocity. I've thought about rigging up mosquito netting, but figured this would likely get in the way when loading and unloading equipment.
Yes I have been through the same consideration as you and did start with the Cot idea.

I guess mossies are the same all over the world. I carry some nets that I hang from the upper hood bows all around the rear cargo area but not connected at the bottom - can still gain access to load and unload.

Here when people have decided to go for the Kamp - Rite Cot they often end up with something like this

http://www.kulkyne.com/au/Homestead-Single-Swag.html

More a tent than a cot but much better quality - full canvas and more importantly warm in winter and waterproof.

Nothing wrong with the cot idea but I would look at alternatives to the Kamp-Rite.

Oh - after 6 years camping in my Fc101 I have decided to use a tent as I am sick and tired of setting up the rear - was comfortable, but before I got a 12v fridge I did end up with the icey cold contents of my icebox in my bed :( . So now just chuck everything in the back, no special packing and 5 minutes to set up the tent. i also have a towable camper van for when a little more luxury is required on longer trips.

Cheers

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
1957 Landrover 88"
Shovel Bum

Post by Shovel Bum »

4x4Pinz,

Thanks a ton for the trailer light info! That takes a huge load off my mind. On another note, I love your door handles. Did you make those?

Garry,

Thank you for the link. I hadn't heard of those before but they look pretty cool. I'm going to look a little closer at them now.

Will
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I run 24V bulbs in my trailer all the time. When it is connected to the pinz it is fine... when connected to the other vehicle (12V) they are just a bit less bright but still easily seen. Don't have to switch bulbs.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Sorry missed the 24v to 12v trailer light reducer issue. I tow a number of 12v trailers with mainly 12v vehicles so no issue but as with the Pinz my Fc101 is 24v.

I have one of these fitted to the rear of the chassis to convert 24v signals to 12v signals for the trailer.

http://www.redarc.com.au/images/uploads ... Manual.pdf

I have has it fitted for 6 years and never had an issue, so if you have Redarc products over there consider one of these converters (not the cheapest though). Mine is hard wired in but could be rigged up to plug into you current connector on the input side and plug into your trailer on the output side.

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
1957 Landrover 88"
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I tow both regular trailers and my pinz trailer with my pinz from time to time. I need the 24v circuit to be intact for this to happen, so changing bulbs is easy. I did get a set of the magnetic trailer lights from Harbor freight and changed the bulbs in those to 24v. I made an adapter using the pinz male plug and a four flat female plug so I can tow any trailer by just placing the magnetic lights on them and plugging it into the pinz plug. Works really well if you are only going to tow different trailers and don't want to alter the trailer or the pinz.

Yeah, I made the pinz door handle plaques, more correctly I designed them and had them made. I had them made the size of the door handles and a size that looks really great on the mud flaps or tool box at work. 16ga stainless so it is not too shiny but holds up well.
nicholastanguma
United States of America

Post by nicholastanguma »

The TentCot is a cool design, to be sure. But I like the Teton Quick Tent more.
Last edited by nicholastanguma on Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
nicholastanguma
United States of America

Post by nicholastanguma »

I've been a fan of the TentCot for several years because of its convenient ease-of-use for quick pitching. But they do take up quite a lot of space when folded, about 36" x 36," and the construction materials could definitely be better. They're not bad products, but not great, either.

Lately I've found the Teton Outfitter cot tent to be a better alternative. The tent and cot slim down into a more packable package than the TentCot, pitching them takes only minutes longer, and the materials are of better quality. Teton itself has taken time to listen to customers' complaints over the years, and each year have upgraded little details to make the whole unit better and better. I don't think you get that with Kamprite.

Plenty of Teton Outfitter Quick Tent review vids posted on YouTube over the years.

http://store.tetonsports.com/outfitter-xxl-quick-tent/

http://store.tetonsports.com/outfitter-xxl-camp-cot/

http://store.tetonsports.com/outfitter-xxl-camp-pad/