Shuttle needed-windshields from LA to PDX Dave Dunn

All things not relating to the other forums.
NEWFISHER

Re: Shuttle needed-windshields from LA to PDX Dave Dunn

Post by NEWFISHER »

Hey Ben,

Count me in for 2! You will love the side glass. I can drive up and grab them in Redmond when you get the new toy.
Pm'd you.
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

I spoke with Daid today and we're a bit closer to having logistics sorted out. I'm picking up my Pinz on Monday the 29th, the truck is picking it up on Friday the 4th (just as reminder it's an enclosed transport used by the Porsche dealers).

The current thinking is I will drive it up the 15 to Jim's shop on Monday afternoon (still need to talk with Jim, so not locked yet). During the week David will bring the glass down to Jim's place and they will load it into my Pinz and secure it for transport. Hopefully I can get Jim to do the Power Steering install and hold the Pinz at his place until Friday morning. The shipping truck would then pick up at Jim's place Friday morning and transport to Washington.

I'll try reaching Jim and working it out with him in the next few days, if that works then I'll post a final update to everyone so we can get a count of what glass I'm transporting.

So far I know Newfisher wants two windshields. I'm planning on buying one windshield and side glass set. Are there any others from PNW that want to get in on this? The glass will be available for pick-up at my house (or suitable meeting place nearby) in Redmond WA on Saturday, March 5th.

Thanks,
Ben
King County Search & Rescue | Regional Special Vehicles Unit
1972 710M - Building up for SAR use
Follow my build, learn more, or contact me: http://www.sarpinz.com
NEWFISHER

Post by NEWFISHER »

Sounds good Ben, thanks for putting this together. Inmay not be able to make the pickup on the 5th would they be ok stashed for a couple weeks?
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

NEWFISHER wrote:Sounds good Ben, thanks for putting this together. Inmay not be able to make the pickup on the 5th would they be ok stashed for a couple weeks?
No problem. I have a large garage and an additional small shop out back, so lots of indoor storage where they could sit.

I'm hoping the logistics all work out.. my window is small because I have to be in Las Vegas by Monday evening for work. That doesn't leave a lot of time for running around and getting everything where it needs to go... but we'll see :wink:
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

Ok - bad news...

Unfortunately due to my work schedule and the distance between the location where I'm picking up my Pinz in San Diego and David's shop I'm not going to be able to pick up the windshields before the Pinz goes on the transport. I also talked to the transport company and they're not willing to stop enroute to pick them up either.

This means I'm not going to be able to help on this one. For those who were hoping this would work out, I apologize :(

Ben
NEWFISHER

Post by NEWFISHER »

No worries Ben, it actually gets worse. I jumped a last minute flight to LA for a surprise Disneyland weekend with family and friends. I dropped them off at the park and then went and checked out Dave and Jim. Got to almost touch the windshields and cant figure out how to get them back on the plane. Got to see lots of uber cool pinz, supa cat, haflinger and fuel injection stuff today!
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

And, we may be back on...

In a strange twist of events my daughter has a layover in San Diego the evening before I was planning to have the Pinz picked up, so it means I could meet her there and the two of us could drive it home together along the coast (road trip!).

I'm checking with the owner to make sure the timing still works out ok for him, as long as he's good with the change then I'm planning to drive a 44yr old vehicle I've never seen home nearly 1300 miles... yep, that seems smart ;) what could possibly go wrong (renewing my AAA service right now).

I'm hoping to get a chance to stop by Jim's on the 3rd, if he's around, to get some background on the work done to this vehicle, as well as pick up whatever maintenance parts he sells. Might also try to pop up to Expedition Imports and pick up a few things.

I'll let everyone know by end of day today (UK time, I'm currently in London). After I've spoken to everyone.

PINZ GURUS - What are the spares I should make sure I have with me that are most likely to need my attention during a road trip (if I get to connect with Jim I'll get his input as well). I'm planning on fluids, fan belt, wipers, small tool kit, what else?

Thanks,
Ben
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Would be a fun drive!
As far as what to take - your Pinz is heavily modified so what most would recommend (other than general things like oil, basic tools, etc) may not be helpful.
With EFI you have a host of other things that could fail that most Pinz owners would not deal with.
24 -12v converter (have a cheap spare just in case - 15 amp fleabay one should work)
spare electric fuel pump?
Tons of tools - best thing would be to have way to many tools vs to few
Ear plugs may be a good idea as well :D
Enjoy the drive - I just did a bit of 101 yesterday and it was great
Dan
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
NEWFISHER

Post by NEWFISHER »

8/1/16

Still trying to find a ride for 2 flat windshields from LA North.

Anyone from the area comming up for NWMF Northwest Mogfest?
Thanks!
PinzHound

Post by PinzHound »

I'm in the San Francisco area and have been wondering how to get a windshield up here. I can shuttle part way, offer a rest spot, or co-drive some section.
NEWFISHER

Post by NEWFISHER »

Thank you. I can make a red eye drive back and forth to SanFran ( 20 hrs) on a weekend, but not the LA area.

I cant believe no one here coming for MogFest?
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

A bit of an added incentive to act now. I have only 1 tinted windshield remaining in stock and from all indications, the new price will probably be going up to around $235. :shock: I am not sure if or when I'll re-order. If I order only one or two, the price would probably almost double.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)