Ultrasonic cleaners

All things not relating to the other forums.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Ultrasonic cleaners

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Anyone have advice on using an ultrasonic cleaner for parts? I need to rebuild some diesel injectors and shops want around $120 for 5, which isn't bad but if you could buy (or demand one for my birthday!) a small used commercial cleaner for $150-$200 it seems like it'd be more wise in the long run and great for small parts.

Is it worthwhile, or do the shops that do this use much higher grade cleaners that do something a small one doesnt? I saw one demo that used three different sonic cleaning units for each injector job they do. (Why?)

This one is barely used and on craigslist for $200, for example.
Attachments
00N0N_8x64LfSi0u3_600x450.jpg
00N0N_8x64LfSi0u3_600x450.jpg (28.28 KiB) Viewed 4483 times
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

stiffler4444
Canada

Re: Ultrasonic cleaners

Post by stiffler4444 »

I know that the guys in the pinball hobby swear by these for small plastic parts and stainless guides, etc. Can't imagine you'd need a very expensive one to get good results.
1972 710m
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

I have a cousin who is a jeweller, he has one to clean jewels that come for repair. This is great to shake the dirt off from any little crevice of the part to be cleaned.

I did not know it could work for greasy mechanical parts, but googling a bit I found that an Aussie company seems very happy with such a machine for carburetor cleaning: http://www.cleanacarb.com.au/picture-gallery.html
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Not sure ultrasonic will work well for injectors, the dirty part of interest
is a rather small cavity internal to the device, it will be hard for the ultrasonic
waves to penetrate -- and you probably should apply a DC bias on the coil
so the path is open. Here's a El Cheapo DIY approach that would be my 1'st attempt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rk0tKtiVic
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

I think the reasons for 3 different Ultrasonic baths would be so you put the dirty part in the first bath, gets rid of all the big external stuff, second bath with clean fluid allows you to run the injector whilst it is being cleaned. Third bath with more clean fluid allows final clean with injector running and now it will be very clean!

I certainly use a small ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning the Haflinger's Carb every once in a while. Very useful for cleaning jets.

John
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Thanks.

And for many injectors it would be tough to clean them this way I'd guess but these are 1980's diesel injectors that come completely apart; nothing but heavy metal pieces all around. Unscrews in half and is open.
Attachments
M617Injector.jpg
M617Injector.jpg (7.95 KiB) Viewed 4435 times

rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Well that makes it more possible to get an internal clean, didn't know these injectors came apart.
Why not give this Lucas product a try on a couple of tank fulls first.

http://lucasoil.com/products/fuel-treat ... -treatment
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Post by ExpeditionImports »

Hi Guys,

We were not pleased with our ultrasonic cleaner. Spent roughly 3K with cleaner and special solvents to purchase a unit. Spent lots of tech time with the manufacturer, never got the quality or clean that we got out of straight up old school carb cleaner dunk tanks.

Ended up letting a buddy borrow it as it was sitting in the corner un-used. He swears by it for some of his parts! Figures........

Cheers,

Scott
Expedition Imports Corporation
Vallejo, California
www.expedition-imports.com
"You didn't buy a Chevy..." "Hows that Amazon tech support working out...."
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Well maybe they work on some parts better than others. Maybe I'll just stick to my paint can parts washer.

Sometimes these injectors, like any and esp. diesel ones, just have to be taken apart and cleaned. You can also do an inspection of the nozzle tip which is the wear part in these and is super easy to replace. You then dial it in with a shim to get the pop pressure in spec and its like new for another decade or more.

This is one of the companies that does cleaning professionally with sonic processes. http://www.pcfi-longisland.com/#!gallery/c161y

This is the diesel treatment preferred by pretty much any higher-end Merc. or diesel shop. This is a purge treatment that you cycle in the injection pump, not a tank additive. I do it once a year or so.
Attachments
LIQUI-MOLY-Diesel-Purge-500ml-LM1811.jpg
LIQUI-MOLY-Diesel-Purge-500ml-LM1811.jpg (10.51 KiB) Viewed 4414 times

CentAr712
United States of America

Post by CentAr712 »

I use a cheap ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight and I fill it with Berryman B12 Chemtool carb cleaner when I do carb jets and it works great. I just consider the cheap ones from Harbor Freight to be disposable and I've gone through a couple, but they have always worked well for me as far as carbs and various gun parts that otherwise can't be cleaned adequately. I consider it worth the money invested without a doubt.
Chris.
https://www.supanik.com/pinz
'76 712M Rapier Cargo (Swiss), For Sale
'83 MB W460 280GE G-Wagen, For Sale
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

VinceAtReal4x4s wrote: This is the diesel treatment preferred by pretty much any higher-end Merc. or diesel shop. This is a purge treatment that you cycle in the injection pump, not a tank additive. I do it once a year or so.
Vince,
I'd like to try doing this on my 300GD. Is there any advantage to getting the kit from dieselgiant.com? It seems like I could source the items elsewhere and save a few dollars. Do you also replace the injector return lines once in a while?
Thanks!
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

My kit is just a wide-mouth juice bottle with two pieces of fuel hose. The purge bottles only cost about $11 so their kit seems way over priced to me. I can buy it locally at my NAPA. Amazon has a good deal on it too.

Yes, definitely replace the return lines and make sure you get fresh hose and not some that's been sitting on a shelf for 5 years. I was sent a piece that lasted about a two months before I got dripping at two of my injectors... it was new hose but dry-rotted under that cloth!

pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Thanks Vince! I ordered a couple of Purge bottles from Amazon and I have the filters. Probably can find a juice bottle and the right fuel line in my shop.
Belmetric carries the cloth covered return line. Am I correct that it is 3.2mm?
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

I don't recall off-hand. I'm just going to order my parts from Mercedessource.com from now on. They try hard, support Merc. diesels and have some great stuff so even if its $2 more, I will give them the business.