Cummins crate motor

All things not relating to the other forums.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Cummins crate motor

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

This in a Volvo or TD Pinz might be interesting.
https://expeditionportal.com/cummins-no ... ate-motor/
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Haf-e
United States of America

Re: Cummins crate motor

Post by Haf-e »

Although it sounds small (2.8 liter) - the specs match up very nicely with the 5 cylinder Mercedes Diesel Sprinter engine - which gives very reasonable performance for a similar weight and frontal area vehicle.

Certainly would be a preferred engine compared to the 6 cylinder volvo/vw engine - but the Steyr engine being offered is certainly another nice option.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

But this would be the only practical option you can buy new, with well supported parts/service in North America. As discussed before the Steyr motor might be ideal but you have major legal/import issues and the cost is extreme.

As much as I love the 617/606/602 Mercedes motors, and own one, they are getting old and very high in mileage and the used market is really a mixed bag these days unless you find that elusive "old lady with the barely driven diesel Mercedes in the garage" scenario.

This might go into a Volvo without much work relative to many other options. With an overdrive a C303 could turn into a pretty amazing and unique 4x4 option unlike anything else by a mile. MPG would be interesting to know.

David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

The problem with the Cummins is that it is a low rpm engine, 3000 rpm is well below the VW's rpm range. I was thinking the Baby DuraMax (also 2.8L) might do well in a TD. A lot higher RPM range (more in line with the VWs) and both hp and torque are a bit higher than the Cummins. I bought a New Colorado last year with one and have been very happy with it, especially with the 7700 lbs tow rating. I recently had it on the freeway towing one of my Supacats (4300 lbs plus 1700 lb trailer) and never felt that it lacked for power.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

I assumed other options, like that one, might be super complex as far as sensors, electronics, etc. If Cummins is making this as a crate motor it must be fairly self contained/diverse.

Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

I mentioned the 5 cylinder MB diesel motor used in the Sprinter because it would be a similar application and similar weight / frontal area.

The Cummins 2.8 engine is a high speed motor - the peak HP rating is up at 3600 RPM in the specs and I've heard the redline is 4500 rpm - same as a MB diesel.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com