cross country trips?

All things not relating to the other forums.
super vw

cross country trips?

Post by super vw »

Well i have yet to purchase a Pinz, but may have a great buy halfway across the country (2300 miles away). Im almost set for departure this august and was planing on driving the pinz home if i buy it. I would most likely take 3 maybe 4 days to complete the trip back, driving most the day.

My main concerns are drivetrain and engine capabilities. i have never gone on any long trips in a pinz... i have only worked on them and driven them around our town. so i dont have a real good idea on how they react to long drive times.
Max speed is mostly limmited to 50-55 MPH (they just seam to strung out past that?).
What i need is opinions about takeing longer trips, is it somthing that would overheat the drivetrain if you where to drive for hours at 55MPH? Is the motor happy at 3-4K RPM for such a long time?
And is there any thing to look out for durring long trips (temp wise...ect?)

BTW, the truck im looking at getting already has a confirmed Ex-2 rear diff mod.

Any opinions welcome!
Thanks!
Jonathan
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

50-55 is no sweat ,it's a little easier on a 710 over a 712 but it still is not abusive to the truck. The driver is another matter! If I were to travel that far I think I would invest in a set of noise cancelling headphones,the constant noise level can be quite exhausting! Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
super vw

Post by super vw »

Ok, Nice...
(
BTW Mark, i sent you a PM)
jpipes

Post by jpipes »

Maybe I was doing something wrong, but in a recent trip across the CA central valley I was moving along at 60 no problem and easily hit 65 from time to time.
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

Jonathan....Other than the obvious spare fluids and bulbs...ect. You may want to pick up a non contact thermal scanner, to test the temps at the diffs, motor, portals, and tranny. Pulling over every now and then to check the temps should let you fell more confident in traveling that far and could prevent a disaster by catching a problem before you have to start hoofing it.

Miles

Post by 2012 »

i'm about to have to drive my 712 amb from fl to wa. looks like it'll do 60 mph aroung here no problem. but i'll be pulling a 12 ft uhaul. hmmm...

but if ANYTHING goes wrong with any part? i guess i need to camp out right there and wait for a part to arrive?

are there any parts that commonly die on these things that i should bring spares of?

now i'm scaring me.
krick3tt

cross country trips

Post by krick3tt »

Farthest I have gone is from pick-up point in Vallejo at EI to San Diego, down 101.
Had not driven a pinz before and it was interesting to learn as I went. No real issues, have driven to LA a few times and out to Truckhaven and Occotillo Wells. I travel at 80kph with occasional peaks at 90kph seems to work fine, no heat issues.
I will be driving to Seattle in a few months, that should be a fun trip.

Cheers,
Morris

Post by 2012 »

ha! look me up in redmond when you get up there!
krick3tt

trips

Post by krick3tt »

That would be great.
I will also be trying to get to NWMF in Sheridan, OR. next month at Waldersee Farm. Went there last year but didn't take the mog, have since sold it.
If you can get me your address, I will look you up. Always good to meet a fellow Pinz owner and compare dents, or lack of.

Cheers,
Morris
Hawkeye Pinz

Post by Hawkeye Pinz »

I drove my 710 from Euro Truck just outside of Atlanta, Ga home to Davenport , Ia with no problems. I just brought a few quarts of oil and EAR PLUGS!!! :wink: I kept the speed between 50-55 MPH and the truck did just fine. Good luck with your trip.
krick3tt

trips

Post by krick3tt »

I did not make it to NWMF this year, there were house selling issues to attend to. Would have been an interesting trip.
I did go out on a run with a local group of jeepers this last weekend. Went to Ocotillo Wells on Sat., 113 deg in the shade. Warm start ups were not really a problem. Met the jeepers on Sun night for the run to Joshua Tree.
Since I was the only non-jeep they slowed to my 50mph speed. The leader set his cruise at 50 to set the pace. My speedo was reading 73km. Guess it is a little off. Still get the vibration at 75km+ from the axels. Put about 750k on the pinz this trip, really performs well on a new oil change.

Cheers,
Morris