a place to live and drive

All things not relating to the other forums.

a place to live and drive

Post by 2012 »

where's the best place (on earth) to move to in order to own, maintain and live in the best off road camper? and what would that best vehicle be? i need to get started.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

No Doubt........

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Without any doubt, SW Utah. Around Moab or in Moab. Or you could live in another town within driving distance of that region. (maybe Grand Junction Co.)

The real off-roading and remote camping possibilities are almost endless around that part of the world. Get lost in the Canyonlands for a while, explore some unmapped roads, try out sport trails around Moab, etc, etc, etc. I've heard Morocco has some of the best off-roading, but I'll trade that for Moab unless you like countries with basically no infrastructure and where white guys that aren't into Islam may not be liked. Maybe Peter can vouch for his homeland. I know the land down under has some of the best remote wheeling as well.

Best vehicle for that, considering comfort level and int. room available? This will vary but I'd say, in order, a modified Unimog 416 with camper box, a Volvo C304, or maybe a 712. A camper-top converted Defender 110 or 109" Land Rover if a compact ride is more fitting for you.

All depends on what you want to do with it of course. A big 416 camper won't do too well on some routes around Moab, but then again, you can't fit too much inside of a D-110.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Post by 2012 »

awesome reply! one question: what about a u1300 or u1750? i'm not sure what model numbers mean what equipment, tho...
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Mog

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Unimogs vary more than any other 4x4 so you can research that one to death. Ask Sean at Eurotruck if you get serious about one, it's an area he knows a lot better than I do. I like the look, cost, availability and wheelbase of the 416's to start an exp. rig with.

This is one of the best camper conversions I've seen for a Mog, as far as real world needs go with remote living, as well as not costing too much to do. The couple driving it were from Germany and they were driving across the US for their holiday and having fun in Moab for a little while. The back was very functional and well thought-out.

"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

PinzEOD

Post by PinzEOD »

I hope they make their way to Calico Mogfest. I would certainly love to check that rig out.
Mike Newton 1973 712M (sold)
I do not like this word "bomb." It is not a bomb. It is a device that is exploding. Jacques le Blanc
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

I recognize that location. It's the City Market parking lot in Moab UT. Damn I'm good!

Post by 2012 »

vince - do yo have any more pix of that camper mog? or... do you know how to find its owners? maybe they have a website?! high hopes...
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

For model info on Mogs there are a number of publications out there to identify vehicle spec over the years.

As a brief overview and show a little Mog savvy you can split the trucks into two catagories up to recent years. From the 1960's to the late 70's there were two derivations (for the mostpart).

The 404 series, often powered by an anemic M180 6 cylinder engine favoured by many military organizations around ther world. You see a quite few knocking around here in the US. Remember it as a small cramped fixed cab unit. Some were made for civi organizations like police forces and fire brigades with extended cabs (doka) of different styles. In many of these options it came with a M130 series twin carb'd engine derivative which could make the truck feel like it could pull a lazy man out of bed.

To my knowledge no factory diesel derivative was made for this 404 model although folks like us do conversions to accept the 5 banger M617 turbo diesel unit (taken from a 1981 up Merb 123/124 platform car)

The other fixed cab unit is the 406 having a larger yet still cramped cab having a DoKa derivative as a 416. The engine was a commercial truck 6 cylinder diesel unit and followed the Mercedes nomenclature of OM 'something: to determine the type etc. This was a more purposeful unit made for work on the farm/industrial applications. Case Corp imported them for a while making them available with construction implements etc. Many of these unit have twin plate clutches and spliitter/range change gearboxes. A few of these made their way into the US forces and are mostly based at the Red River complex in Texas.

From around 1979 the U series emerged as a tiltable step through cab being a bit boxy in shape its easy to distinguish from the rest of the Mog crowd. Depending upon spec and years they go like U1100, U1300 etc.
You will see these from time to time owned by both municipalities and private owners alike.

There are later units which have a distinctive cab and imported by your local Freightliner distributer. These you can often scope out by web siting the dealer for specs etc.
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now
krick3tt

mog questions

Post by krick3tt »

go to Mog@tx4x4.com to subscribe to the mog website. Ask questions there, lots of mog friendly chatter.

Morris,
previously a mog owner.

Post by 2012 »

thx dennis and morris. now i'm on another steep uphill learning grade - mogs this round. been all over the net this morning. my quigley 4x4 amb is gonna hold me over for a spell, though.

i might have to stop by and see your place on my way thru bloater in a couple weeks, dennis. finally get to see that skyscraper pinz?
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Well if you come to Golden sooner than later I suppose, the skyscraper Pinz will be still here. Someone has shown (at last) an interest at $6000 for it so he has first dibs so to speak. Hence I have stopped the downward spiralling silent auctioni at that point. I was beginning to think that I wouldn't be able to even give it away.

That reminds me of a church congregation member who recently asked me to inspect a Mazda MPV van. Apparently it was a "freebie" since he had fallen on hard times and the church was GIVING him the church van.
The truck needed a bit of work in the steering area and the cheeky chappie went cap in hand to the church body for a plate handout to fix the blasted thing. Talk about "cajones". I suppose there is that maxim "God helps those that helps themselves". That seems like going a bit bloody far I think.

Its strange I would have thought that some lucky soul would have wanted it for a Doka conversion before now, judgeing by the interest shown last year on the Mason DoKa converted unit. As they say in Lancashire/Yorkshire (Rose country) 'Ere lad, none so queer as folk".

I guess its the prospect of $3 a gallon has probably made folk think about owning thirstly vehicles at the moment. Certainly here in Colorado alot of owners have off loaded their pinzies and Landrovers for that matter for something more frugal.
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now
IwanaPinz

Post by IwanaPinz »

I couldn't agree more with Moab, Utah. :D
This has been one of my favorite places on Earth.
My off road experiences are limited to mountain biking many of the trail most drive on.
My only experiences in an off road vehicle at Moab was aboard a Unimog. Of the many shuttles that will take mountain bikers to their favorite trail heads is the Coyote Shuttle.
The owner has retrofitted a 404 (I believe) with a center row of seats in the cargo area and surrounded that with a roll cage. On top he has fitted a rack system for bikes. In hotter months he also has a fitted a mister to keeps riders cool.
The owner revels in showing riders just what a Mog can do.
If he asks if you have some extra time always answer "yes". If you agree too few extra minutes then you get a cool ride. Behind the famed Lions Back on your way to Slick Rock there is a Mini Lions back.
It's a little off the beaten path and sort of surprised us. It looks near vertical, "no way can we go up that!" :shock:
But that's exactly what we did. The steepness was incredible, if anyone of us had let go we would have tumbled down the slope.
What amazed us even more was the trip down the opposite side. The slope was just as steep but when the owner stopped and put the Mog into reverse, well we couldn't believe it.

Every two years I return to Moab and take that ride. The rest is on a bike.
One day I will get my 712 on that rock!

Check this link to see the Mog.
The bike on top, in front, is my rig.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tahl007/

Check out this link for more on the Coyote Shuttle.
http://www.coyoteshuttle.com/
Check out the stretch Micro bus.
Nothing says four wheel drive like six wheel drive.