Ripped off again

All things not relating to the other forums.
lindenengineering

Ripped off again

Post by lindenengineering »

Not me, just some owner of an ex mil truck.

It came to my notice that another owner has got his truck ripped off by the same old scam that rears its ugly head from time to time.

I have been been ripped off in this MV business more times than I care to recall so here's some advise. You've probably heard this before BUT:-

If are selling your vehicle to a private party ( and be careful with bona fide businesses too!) do not in any cicumstances accept a cashiers cheque without getting the funds in your hand. Frankly a cashier's cheque is as worthless as used toilet paper until a bank (Yours) can get the funds into your account.

Don't let the prospective buyer charm you with his Mr Nice Guy Mardi Gras mask. Believe me once he has his hands on your truck the mask will be thrown away for a more uglier "visage".

If the guy is for real he can wire you the money whilst he is in your sights. It can take only a few hours to move that money to your account in most cases. Even if his bank does not exist in your State there will be a correspondent bank who they deal with. In any case unless he brings green money he can wait for the 24 hours in extreme circumstances to let the cash filter through the system to your bank.

If you have credit card acceptance do NOT in any circumstances accept a CC charge for the vehicle. Once home he can recind the charge and you are out of a vehicle.
Remember cash is KING and its your money!
Take care
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now
Scott

Post by Scott »

Here's a link to a very entertaining site to see exactly how that scam works.
http://www.bustedupcowgirl.com/scampage.html
Scott
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
russ

Post by russ »

Money orders have the same problem. My buddy who sells motorcycle parts received a money order. He deposited it and all seemed fine so he sent out the part. The bank calls a few days later and says that the money order was from a batch of stolen ones. The police in the local where the part was sent won't press charges even with the evidence available, the guy used his real name and address even! Interstate commerce, bah!
lindenengineering

Russ
Local authorities won't do anything about it!

That basically that is the tip of the iceberg. Most of these perpetrators know they are beyond the reach of the law.
Your money order story simply enlightens the situation.

I once has a 406 Mog customer rack up an expensive engine & trans change coming to $18000. In the night he bust the place open & hauled his Mog out on a trailer and refused to pay the bill. Balance $13000.
When I called the local police I was told oh that's a civil matter, nothing to do with us.
I am still enacting "civil" recourse against him 5 years later. Now that is in an adjacent county. heaven knows what it would be like chasing someone for payment across the country.
Again motto using the words from Dickens' "Christmas Carol" I don't ship until I have cash in hand". Old advice on not so modern problem.
Dennis
lindenengineering

Another ripped off!

Its sad that I am reporting yet another case of this practice. It involves a member of this forum no less.
Regrettably I am involved to a certain extent since the vehicle was for sale in my shop for a while and I convinced the owner to accept terms so that the "current" keeper could get his hands on a "K". So I am/was a go between so to speak. I feel partially responsible.

Apart from a deposit the guy is still out $6500.

Seemingly repeated phone calls have just brought excuses.
At this stage I am not going to "name & shame" but I did fire a PM at him with yes--No reponse.

So you blokes since its Christmas and time to read to my kids Dickens' Christmas Carol, I will quote Ebeneezer Scrooge's comment at the Corn Hall. "I don't ship until I have cash in hand".
For those of you selling your Pinz remember those poinant words.
Dennis
Linden Engineering Inc