Full side windows (clear soft top windows)

All things not relating to the other forums.
Pinz Enthusiast

Full side windows (clear soft top windows)

Post by Pinz Enthusiast »

Hey gang,

Was out with a tour group 2 weeks ago and on top of Butler Peak (in Big Bear Lake, Ca) around 4:00pm after about a 40 min drive up and my passengers even though dressed warm with heavy jackets and hats, gloves etc.... they were freezing as it was about 28 degrees out and gusting winds to about 20mph, so while they (my passengers) hiked the last 400 yards to the forrest lookout I rolled down my sides and fired up my trusty Mr. Heater Buddy to take the chill out of the back for them, this got me thinking there has to be a better way to keep them slightly warmer or atleast block the wind chill a little and let them see outside, maybe take away the feeling of being in a cave, so monday morning I went to a local upholstery shop and got a quote to make up some clear side curtians....dang $800.00, I knew I could do it for less, so I went to my local upholstery supply house and bought 5 yards of soft top window material (54" wide) and various snaps and gromments and necessary tools for installing gromments and snaps.

Well about 3 days of thought and labor on my part and this is what I came up with...
Image[/img]

I'll be keeping the regular rear flap closed for now, but might make one out of same material to add onto the rear, will be testing them out this weekend will let you know how well it works, oh and the best part besides a few days of my time it only cost me $120.00.
Eric
Anaheim Hills, Ca
1973 712M
1996 LR Disco I
2003 LR Discovery SE
2003 Holiday Rambler Endeavor MH
hope to get a 1969 Ford M656
Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

Looks like it would work well. For us RMP guys it almost looks like Phil K's Barney. The only problem I have with the Heater Buddy is the morning after. I wake up in the tropical rain forest. (By product of combustion is water) All the water from combustion ends up on the roof (think condensation on the cold galss) When I wake up and stretch and touch any part of the roof, it rains. :shock: :idea:
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I had lots of condensation dripping off the roof from just normal activities, I cured it by placing "Reflectrix" or similar aluminized bubble pack insulation under the top. Plus it gives good insulation for just a few bucks.

Jim M.
712W and 710M
Pinz Enthusiast

Full Side Windows (Clear Soft Top WIndows)

Post by Pinz Enthusiast »

Yeah Lightning I know what you mean, I should have stated that I have (insualted) the roof (front and rear)with a rubber backed outdoor/RV carpet, really quiets down the road noise and such, also did the cab under the seats and made little floor mats, and put a piece in the bottom of the door uppers, also thinking of glueing same carpet into the insides of the bed sides for furthere insualtion and noise reduction...
Eric
Anaheim Hills, Ca
1973 712M
1996 LR Disco I
2003 LR Discovery SE
2003 Holiday Rambler Endeavor MH
hope to get a 1969 Ford M656
Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

Yup, John Ashby used 40 lb jute from the uphostry shop with outdoor carpeting on all metal surfaces in his pinz and quited his down a LOT!! I keep thinking of insulating the top. I have also seen a wool blankets and a discarded baby down comforter used to insulate. But my pinz is still the cobblers child with no shoes. A friend gave me a different solution. The made a Bimini top for the rear. I run it in the summer. A little cool for Denver in the winter. :P

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/li ... CN1773.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/li ... CN1821.jpg