Got Snow?

All things not relating to the other forums.
springhill

Got Snow?

Post by springhill »

6 to 8 foot drifts and 2 feet on the level. Someone come help me feed hay!!!!!
"Growing Old is Mandatory
Growing Up is Optional"
springhill

Post by springhill »

This is even better----4x4 chevy almost covered up.
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m53/ ... rm2007.jpg
Last edited by springhill on Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Growing Up is Optional"
Kiwibru

Post by Kiwibru »

Jeez, time to get out the snow shoes or X-Country skis!
1975 710M
Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

Are the snow shoes for the Cattle? So they can come get the hay. :)
You did get it worse that we did up North. Saw on the local news about Raton pass and nearby. 2-3 ft in the first blizzard and again as much the 2nd time. At this rate you'll need a helicopter to get the feed to the cattle in the snow drifts. I hope you painted your herd before the snow. You know the old joke of finding the White dairy cattle in the snow. :lol: :lol:
Best of luck, stay warm, and hope you keep the cattle fed.
PinzEOD

Post by PinzEOD »

WOW!!! I love that pic of your 712 in the snow. I lived in NM for 6 years and NEVER saw snow like that. Wifey and I are actually considering retirement there, I better not let her see your snow pics. lol
Mike Newton 1973 712M (sold)
I do not like this word "bomb." It is not a bomb. It is a device that is exploding. Jacques le Blanc
springhill

Post by springhill »

The only thing a pinz follows.
Growing Up is Optional"
Hawkeye Pinz

Post by Hawkeye Pinz »

I wish we had snow like that in Iowa. Looks like alot of fun. P.S- I like the color of your tractor, I build planters at the Deere factory across the Missippi river in Moline Illinois. Good luck with the cattle.
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Hawkeye.
I might be nice on Christmas cards but after several storms and ever more each week I am getting tired of it . The constant shoveling of snow to get to the car and then into the shop every morning takes the edge off the Festive season as my brother called it when he visited from the UK for the Christmas period. More is forecast next week "Oh Joy".

To escape at this time is impossible so I am going to "You Tube" it, and look for "Lambada" and enjoy Koama's dance rendition on the Bahia beaches.
Dennis in snowy Denver
OOOps no customer bashing now
springhill

Post by springhill »

Hi guys,
Thanks for the support. I usually like snow, but I am extremely tired of it now. It took 8 days before we got hay hauled to all the cows. We didn't have any die, but our neighbors lost some.
I spent 3 full days (light to dark) trying to clear a path to the cows. I got stuck 3 times and once it took 3 hours with a shovel to get the 4 wheel drive tractor out. The John Deere broke down on the evening of the 3rd day and I couldn't repair it. The 6x pinz broke on the 4th day. It is in the tranny or front dif----------Grinds really bad if you put it in gear and it won't move. I have one pinz left----the other 710 is still in the shop with tranny problems.
I finally had a large front in loader come finish clearing roads for me. He ran off in a draw and got stuck around 9 pm thursday night. We shoveled for a couple of hours before a neighbor showed up with a backhoe.
There were many bull dozers, maintainers, front end loaders, and helecopters trying to help everyone out.
I'm ready for it to melt, but we had 4 inches last night and another big storm forecasted for next week. I may have to buy a mog with a snow blower!!
Growing Up is Optional"
lindenengineering

Springhill
Struth what is wrong with your tranny?

We do a 5 hour "tops" turn around on trans (gearbox) repairs for fleet operators.
36 hours turn around is the avarage time for drive line if we have a desperate customer.
Dennis
Linden Engineering inc
springhill

Post by springhill »

Dennis,
The 710 ran out of oil ( my brother drives that one) It ruined the main shaft and CWR had to order it out of the EU ($2000). This was one year ago. It kept popping out of gear and making noise so I sent it back.

The 712 is another problem. I don't know if it is the tranny or something in the front dif. It is still stuck out in the pasture and I can't get it to the house to check it out.
If you put it in gear and let out the clutch, it make a really bad grinding noise and won't move. It sounds really expensive!
We have been hauling hay( 2000 lbs per load) and pushing snow at the same time. We have about 25,000 acres to cover, so it has been working hard the last few days!!!
If you have an insight let me know

john
Growing Up is Optional"
lindenengineering

Springhill
We sell that shaft with a reconditioned journal (re-metalled) for $250 (Good as new). We have lots of 'em in service
The front needle brg is $35.

As for that unit stuck in the pasture.

Put the truck in gear and see if the short primary shaft is spinning? Then move the HI/LO shifter to the other position its currently in , does it drive? Now put the truck in 4WD does it drive? Those activities may be able to give you some results that result in an accurate diagnosis.
Tired of all this bloody snow in Golden.
Dennis
springhill

Post by springhill »

Dennis,
I will try your tips tomorrow. It sounds like I should bring the 6X6 to you.
It is frustrating since I bought the pinzgaurers to save wear and tear on the expensive (hiway use only) chevrolet 4x4's. I guess I should buy a mog to handle the heavy loads and rough country.
Growing Up is Optional"
lindenengineering

Springhill.

Ag work can be tough on any vehicle, I suppose it what they say in the UK "Hosses for Cosses". (Horses for courses.)

Certainly a Unimog is made for the types of business you are in, however be carefull. I sold a not so nice 406 to a rancher in Wyoming, ostensibly for weed spraying since his goats wouldn't munch the stuff. A couple of years later he was back looking for a $30K plus U series; seemingly he had become so successful at weed eradication that the State of Montana had awarded him a BIG contract to clear obnoxious weeds over the state line.
Ranching had become his second fiddle so to speak.

As to your Pinz dilemas we of course will be happy to help you get them running, just drop me a PM or call 720 344 1877. We are in the shop from 8.30 to 6.00 pm daily. Until 2.ish on Saturdays.
Dennis
springhill

Post by springhill »

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m53/ ... 0527_1.jpg
After the 712 broke, I decided to go a little more heavy duty. My tractor is in the shop also. My problem now is trying to get the mog from Baltimore to New Mexico. Most trucking companies tell me it will be up to 3 weeks to get it here. :evil: We are supposed to get dumped on again this weekend :twisted:
Growing Up is Optional"