Global warming and electric Pinzgauers from Technical Forum.

All things not relating to the other forums.
Scottie
United States of America

Global warming and electric Pinzgauers from Technical Forum.

Post by Scottie »

I have posted this to the Technical section and to the General chat because for the most part it is not about technical issues with the Pinz and I feel better ranting about global warming, emissions and electric cars in general chat. If you are responding to any of my posts please reply to the post in General Chat.

No it would not be simple, efficient, or cheap to make an electric Pinz. I would much rather convert mine to a turbo diesel and make my own bio-diesel fuel. But you could enclose a DC motor and still air cool it but it would take some sheet metal ductwork. You would not want it to get wet or have it eat a bunch of sand. I personally like the idea of a flywheel system for breaking and short term energy conservation but you are right about regenerative braking adding to the overall efficient. I wonder if the rail industry has looked into either for their big diesel/electric locomotives. I am not sure if there are currently commercial Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) DC controllers that could handle the load but PWM sure helps conserve the batteries. I could probably scale a PWM driver up to handle enough current if nothing commercial was out there. Using the DC motor for breaking with a flywheel system would just switch the main Engine to a generator to dump the recovered energy into the flywheel all using DC. Yes the flywheel system would have to be custom made but then it could also help to keep your Pinz from tipping over. Imagine a 5 ft diameter steel disc spinning at 10,000 RPM mounted horizontally in the bed over the batteries. You would have a truck, a top and beat a Harley for throbbing power if you were even a little bit out of balance.

While I think an electric Pinz is definitely possible to make I think for almost all applications it is a silly idea, unless you could use fuel cells instead of batteries. It might be great for use in a large underground mine or possibly for a hazardous/flammable environment like a chemical plant. I think the guys that designed the Pinz did one hell of a good job of designing a vehicle that was heavy duty, would go anywhere, and that with minimal low tech maintenance would last a long time. Efficient electric vehicles are high tech, need to be light weight, and tend to need high tech support and maintenance.
rollingpinz

Post by rollingpinz »

Hello

It is a very strong arguement against elec to point out that the "power chain" may change, but there is still some unfavorable chemical process involved in creating the power to charge those batteries.
As far as the DC throttle controller is concerned, there was one available that offered regen braking, but it is no longer available. I don't know why and I don't remember the name. It can be looked up on some of the electric conversion web sites.
Another interesting alternative was on the news a few months ago. Some Frenchies made a VERY light weight car that ran on compressed air. The air drove pistons and there you have it. I don't remember the range, but it was a cool idea.

Eric P
How would an ice-age end without global warming?
Scottie
United States of America

Electric cars are less efficient.

Post by Scottie »

Electric cars are less efficient because most of the time they are charged from the grid. It is the same with hydrogen power. It takes more energy to electrolitically split hydrogen from oxygen (water) and store it than you ever recover. Electric cars are great if they are charged from solar panels all of the time and if they are used instead of a regular car. If they are infrequently used and charged from the power grid they are nothing but a wasteful, green yuppie status symbol that could have helped make things better but was MISUSED and made things worse. There is also always an energy "cost" to making and delivering any product.
Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

Ok lets play Devils advocate for a minute.
If Darwin's THEORY of evolution is correct. We are on an ever evolving ecosystem. Nothing will ever stay the same. The old dinosaurs were here and ruled the ecosystem. Something changed: Climatic change caused by them or climatic change by catastrophy. So, now the current dinosaurs are at the top of the ecosystem food chain. We are experiencing climatic change. The next step is . . . . . Evolution of a more adapted species. The natural order is in harmony with the way things should be. we will become the fossil fuel for the next gen of adapted lifestyles.

If Creationism is correct and Nostradomis's predictions are correct, then 2012 is when it's all over any way.

So, the 2 major philosophies say burn that carbon, it'll help them anthropologists date us (carbon dating) or it won't matter.

Many of the other philosophies speak of balancing the force of good and bad. So, am I burning carbom based fuel for evil or for good? That is the real question. Maybe at this point in our evolution Moderation in all things is the real answer at this point in our evolution.
Kiwibru

Post by Kiwibru »

Problem...People and too many of them. The haves want more, the have nots want some (or any) and we just keep breeding!
If everyone is moderate is that too much of a load on the systems? What a grand experiment! We all get to live it until we die or the system alters in our life time! Then we can try to survive the change...or die along with the system(s).
Now back to our original program.
1975 710M
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Well Guys
Yet another UN report has just been released the IPCC has concluded by a 90% certainty that Global Warming is human activity related.

The Europan community has already stated that a rise of 2 to 4 dgC would be dangerous to mankind if it tailed off at the higher end. The effects are likely to cause a rise in sea levels of between 11 to 16.9 inches. This would have dire consquences for countries like Bangaladesh and Holland. It would also affect cities like Miami and Buenos Aires to mention a few. (although in contemplation a flood washing out Miami altogether might be an appealing thought!)

So there still seems to be a bunch of "Doubting Thomas' on this side of the pond. You know President Bush (the younger) stated that Americans are hooked on oil, on that observation he is absolutely right and like all addicts there is this inevitable denial of addiction. In short fuel is just too cheap in the USA and that gives fewer options to explore cheaper alternatives.

Pollution and its acceptance is matter of acceptance and observation. Lets try this on you the reader.
I think you all would agree that sewage running down the street is a health hazard and not acceptable in modern society. About 150 years ago it was acceptable and no-one cared too much if the watertable was fed by rainwater having first filtered itself through the local graveyard. (ref Haworth N Yorks Bronte Sisters fame). I think today if you saw that (sewage running in the street) in your neighbourhood and you tackled the perpurtrator about it there would n't be a Holier than thou reaction by anyone witnessing such a complaint.

Now lets try this. You are driving your Pinz and in front of you at the lights is an old Kenworth garbage truck. As he pulls away there is a huge cloud of black smoke and a vapour trail for miles as you follow up the rear trying to accelerate past the truck. Once at the next light he is in front of you again and you are again breathing stinking eyewatering fug from his exhaust. What is your reaction? Scream out of the window or pick up the cell phone and report the incidence.

Similar circumstances. You are at the light. In front of you is a Dodge/Ford 3500 PU. Flashy red thing, fat chrome wheels, big exhaust pipes all the toys on board! On the green he floors it and yes gobs of black smoke, spinning tyres and that unfiltered "wahhroar" and "fewweeew" at each gear change. You follow up in your Pinz as you don't have the grunt to pass him so for 50 odd miles you have to breath all this smoke wafting out the tail pipe when originally Cummins and International made that very same engine with very low emissions and no smoke. So when you both get to a stop light do you tell him he's a polluter like the Kenworth bloke? No you probably meekly ask Hey has that got a Hemi in it? Cool truck. (What a lot of bollocks!)

You know every day I drive over a piece of high ground on my way to the shop. I can see downtown Denver bathed in airborne vehicle sewage, I certainly think its time to clean up that sewage don't you?.
Dennis
Linden Engineering Inc
OOOps no customer bashing now
STPPINZ

Post by STPPINZ »

You are kind of side stepping your original argument. I am not arguring with you about polution. The Salt Lake Valley has some issues too with "inversion". Where myself and many more disagree with you was with saying that the US made a wrong decision with not signing that so called treaty. There were some great replies on that...
Wimps Need Not Apply
lindenengineering

On the contrary I am not side stepping that issue.

I still contend that the USA was wrong in rejecting the Kiyoto Treaty and took the entirely wrong position. I should have shown world leadership not shrinkage from the issue.
I can understand it somewhat based largely upon the country's principal source of monetary stability that being the Petrodollar. I find that a surprising number of the US population doesn't have a clue about the role of the US Treasury, the printing of money and the fact that until recently EVERY barrel of oil was traded in US Dollars and that about 76% of all transactions take place outside the shores of the US. That in effect means that the US bank note does not have to be supported by gold. In other words free money. Do you see on the bills in your pocket "I promise to pay the bearer" etc. It's the Achilles Heal of the US monetary system and any shift away from the Dollar say to the PetroEuro will be rigourously opposed. The wholesale shift from Dollars to Euros would mean a flushing out of your greenbacks and a severe slump in the US economy. There has been a "jolt" in that adherence first with Iran, then with Iraq (Oil for Food program)N Korea and Venezuela calling for Euros only at an OPEC meeting a few years ago. That might have passed if it were not for Saudi Arabia who is a staunch US ally. Currently Venezuela is trading in both currencies and doing barter deals.
I bet that hasn't gone down too well behind closed doors in Washington. In fact they have been publically called the "axis of evil" as we know.

If you want to bone up on this "Google" it :- Type in "Dollars and the price of oil". Now look for Feastra, "Dollars and the Iraq War". The Irish economist's take on the system is easy to read up on and has a latter day follow up to reinforce his earlier predictions. Read also the appendices these are also enlightening.

The President's speech the other night contained some poinant statements the one that stuck out for me was the need to reduce reliance on foreign energy sources. It is clear that any American Military activity can and often does cause a severe rise in the price of petroleum. That rise stifles the economy and causes wholesale economic slumps if allowed to continue. For any sitting president an abrupt rise in gas prices means political suicide so they never want to go there.

If you want to see real American political/military activity contemplate the idea that the whole world rejects the use of the US Dollar and exchanges it for Euros and refuses to deal with the US in anything but that currency.

Its all interesting stuff to observe and as a Brit I perhaps see things from a slightly differenty perspective. Certainly the 19th century was the British Century and its Empire and Commonwealth vigourously defended any opposition the supremecy of Britain. They even used Commonwealth troops to defend their interests like the Anzacs who did all the crap work. Read Gallipoli to bone up on that.
The US has not been so fortunate not having an empire but the 20th century was definately the US Century due to its citizen army however I don't see the 21st belonging to the US.
The two in power in China are "How and Wen" and these two blokes and their country are not comedians on Night line. It's really a question of How and When?
Bye Bye Dennis
springhill

Post by springhill »

Dennis,
I really don't want to offend you, but you sound like a very intellingent person and I think you enjoy a good argument---so don't take this too personal.
First of all---- the almighty petrodollar is what fuels this wonderfull economy that we--as Americans-- enjoy. Everything that has to do with your business and mine and everyone involved in this country is "fueled" by the oil and gas industry. It does not involve just the fuel that your car runs on. Almost everything that is in your shop, your home, your food, your electricity,your computer,, etc. has a product in its making that came from petroleum. Without petroleum, the world as we know it would come to a stand still. That in itself is worth fighting for. I for one, do not want to go back to growing my own food, cutting my own wood for heat, and trading goods that I made myself, in order to live.
I believe there are precautions that we need to make in order for there to be a better place for the children who follow us. BUT, that doesn't mean that the UN should govern them. I personally do not want the UN to have ANY involvement in my day to day life. That is why I vote to elect a United States President.
As far as the OIL goes. The main reason gas is cheap in this country is because our oil and gas industry is private----NOT government owned---like Mexico, Venz, Iraq, Iran, etc,etc,etc,...................................
People like you and me are the main reason our O&G industry can operate like it does. It is mainly funded by private investors who take a chance and put their hard earned dollars into a very risky endever of exploration. Private investment puts more money into exploration than the govt. does. That is what us dum Americans call Capitalism.
PS---if you think you are not paying enough for your gas ---Please send me the difference.

No hard Feelings------isn't that just like an American

john
"Growing Old is Mandatory
Growing Up is Optional"
lindenengineering

John I agree with every thing you stated to a point, but I question your apparent support of armed conflict to obtain (should I say steal by force?)foreign sovereign supplies of oil for US use and to ultimately dictate world markets.

As you have observed recently a significant number of your fellow Americans have rejected this Bush doctrine on that type of adventure. One stark outcome of the Iraq debackle is that certain leaders have observed significant areas of weakness in the US military which they are willing to exploit. Should I state even emboldened tinpot dictators to tread where they wouldn't have gone before?

One thing is certain the world is changing and with it is the old accepted balance of power and money. Global warming whether you accept it or not as as an adjustment in global conditions, presents us all with some exciting challenges. Now that we have passed "Peak Oil" and with no significant reserves on the horizon it makes sense to concerve and reduce rampant consumption of stocks. It makes sense to conserve for the future.
Having concluded that you are in the Agro business I am sure you will agree that petroleum derivatives form the basis of crop fertilizer that has over the past 50 years made US Ag business produce very significant and commendable increases in yield feeding people in far off places.

Going back to exciting challenges, the prospect of utilizing and maximising the fuel available (fossil energy) would I have thought would energize the US Gov to announce initiatives for its population and industry along time ago. (instead of business as usual.) Really it's taken the top US Industrial leaders to shake the US Gov to mention it in 15 words of the president's address to congress the need to reduce consumption.

Exploitation of alternative energy methods makes for good business opportunities and provides employment for ordinary people. The other day I was chatting to a business owner installing solar panels to collect sunlight for power production. He said that a few years ago that I couldn't even give them away. Nowadays with energy going up as it has I am swamped with work and I employ 52 people in my business.

Yes gas is too cheap and when it gets to the "ouch" point at $3,10 plus a gallon people start conserving and looking for cheaper alternatives. Yes gas is cheap at the moment (average US price is $2,14/gal) but when the driving season arrives what price then? That incidently doesn't take into account another conflict in the world to inflate prices. It only makes me think what will the owners of the US Bling Bling Albatross (Cadillac Escalade) do then poor things.
springhill

Post by springhill »

Dennis,
I too agree with some of your points. I don't necessarily support the war 100%. I do believe there is more to it besides oil for our consumption and ridding the world of a murderous leader. My personal opinion is that it would be better for us to have a controlling hand in world oil exportation rather than a fundamentalist Islamic group in total control of Middle East oil. I would wager you a bet that if we pulled out of Iraq right now, Iran would take control of that country----and not too much later Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, etc..
Which would you rather have in the drivers seat?
I also know that middle east oil ranks down the list of our suppliers after Canada, Mexico, Venezuela, and our own production. Therefore the supply would not affect us as much as the rest of the world---except for a large increase in price.
Like most things---its not just black and white--too much crap in the middle.
Like I've said before---I don't like the US having to Big Brother the rest of the world, but that policy was put in place a long time ago-----and now many countries rely totally on our support.

Cheers

john
"Growing Old is Mandatory
Growing Up is Optional"
lindenengineering

John

You are absolutely right. Iran in its acendency in the region has outwitted the USA for years and a British diplomat warned the US of Iranian intentions during the earlier part of the last US/Iraqi invasion. The use of shape charges is/was a hallmark of Hezbollah and Iranian tech support. This warning has gone largely ignored by the US until very recently in spite of heavy US casualties.

Iran has learned that US tactics of placing some carriers in the Gulf and firing tomahawk missles followed up by a squadron or two of F16 Tomtit fighters on specific targets won't work with the same success. To combat this threat Iran has just had Russia install a sophisticated aeriel defence system run by Russian ex Pats all paid for in Euros no doubt!. For certain if the US or Israel thinks that it can strike Iranian targets without opposition its in for a bloody big surprise.
If you want to read more google it and go to "BIZTAB" it's the Iranian news web site (a bit like the BBC) and you can read their take on the whole subject of tensions with the USA from the other side of the fence so to speak.Scroll down there's an English edition if you don't read Farsi.
If this latest "surge' doesn't work I am afraid the adventure is lost and the US will withdraw as it did in Vietnam. The world will not be the same again and Iran will dominate the area. I don't want to see it but the writing is on the wall.
Bye Bye I am off to Sparks NV for three days to do some more work with Willis APU's and our bit to reduce fuel consumption on idling emissions for big trucks.
Best regards
Dennis