There's snow driving like snow driving.

All things not relating to the other forums.
IwanaPinz

There's snow driving like snow driving.

Post by IwanaPinz »

A request for some general advice:
Well here in the East we are finally getting a snow worth something.
This will be my first opportunity to drive the Pinz in the snow.
I cant wait to take the 712 for a drive through the fields.

My question:
Chains or No Chains? (Maloya tires)
Are chains for off road use or strictly road use? (stock chains)

Thanks

Brian
1973 712M
Nothing says four wheel drive like six wheel drive.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Chains or No Chains?
Yes.

Maloyas with decent tread really arn't too bad in deep snow, but are horrible on ice. Chains are awesome on ice (and act as paddles in deep snow) but PITA to install and drive on pavement. If you have steep hills, chains may be your best option.

Even though ice is slippery I'd recommend chaining all four rears on a 712 on pavement to keep the diameter the same for all tires. I'd recommend NOT locking the diffs at speed on pavement to prevent spinning all the tires at once and loosing all traction, vs. spinning tires on one side while the others still give lateral traction (this will help keep you out of the ditches).

Just my $0.02 and thirty years of ice and snow driving experience :)

Jim Mettler
712W and710M
springhill

Post by springhill »

In my experience, you will be fine without chains in snow up to the difs as long as it is fresh powdery snow. Once it melts and freezes a little, you will need chains and you will usually run out of power before you get too stuck. A pinz will get stuck very easy in crusted over snow. I know this from much personal experience. We have had over 50 inches since Christmas and I use a pinz every day. I have been stuck in 10 inches of snow and I was not high centered--- the snow had a top crust of about 3 inches and the snow underneath had the consistency of dry flour. It does not matter what kind of tire or how big your tires are, you will eventually get stuck-----I can make it through that drift!!!!!!!!!!
Also keep in mind that my pinz usually has about 2000 pounds of extra weight in the back. We all get stuck eventually. I will even admit that I got my 406 mog ( with 49 inch tires and 24 inches of clearance to the dif) stuck in a very small crusted drift on friday. Pic is posted.

Have fun---but keep your shovel handy.

ps --- i wouldn't use the chains on paved road---very rough.

john

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m53/ ... 2_1067.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m53/ ... an0006.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m53/ ... 0_1008.jpg
"Growing Old is Mandatory
Growing Up is Optional"
Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

I'm a bit like John. There are a dozen bags of tube sand in the back of my 712 and then the chains are back there. Several years ago while running with the four wheel drive emargency assistance team I had no problem plowing thru bumper high stuff getting nurses, docs and emergency people to work. Next morning after all the clowns drove on it I got stuck delivering meds and had to chain up to get into a parking lot. It was only a 4 foot climb in a 8 foot run, but the packed down ice did me in. So, throw the cahins in and a shovel and go prudently.
IwanaPinz

Post by IwanaPinz »

Thanks guys,
Well the big snow has turned out to be the big sleet! :(
The wind is howling and the sleet is coming down horizontally.

John that is some snow. I need to get in touch with a few farmers and see if their tractors can be on call in case I get stuck.

This may be a lame question but are there any tricks to putting the stock chains?

Thanks again

Brian
1973 712M
springhill

Post by springhill »

I just drape the chains over the top of the tire and drive forward enough to get them hooked together. It is better if you have someone watch while you drive forward in case you go to far and the chains fall off.
Also, after you get the chains on and tight--you need to drive a little ways and retighten the chains. It gets easier after you put them on a couple of times.
It is easier if you can jack the tires off the ground.
Keep in mind that the shovel will be your handiest tool. If you stop spinning the tires before you get too deep---you can do a little digging and back the pinz out of trouble. You will be wasting your time if you just sit and spin trying to dig through. It is better to hit the deep snow with a little speed and back up as soon as you get wheel spin. Then back up a ways and hit it again with speed.

have fun and watch for ruts--if your front tires get out of a rut and your back tires stay in --you will swap ends really fast!!
Growing Up is Optional"
krick3tt

CHAINS

Post by krick3tt »

I have 33 inch tires and the stock chains did not fit. I added a few links with a quick link and they fit fine now.
My Dad taught me a trick about using a piece of 2x4 about 4 inches long placed in the chains on the ground. Drive up on it and it gives you plenty of 'wiggle room' to adjust the chains without jacking up the vehicle and you can do it by yourself if no one is around to help. He used to make extra money putting on chains for tourists up by Donner Pass years ago.

Cheers,
Morris
IwanaPinz

Post by IwanaPinz »

Success! :D
Chains on and into the snow!

I jacked each wheel, read the directions and within minutes I had chained tires. One of my old time neighbors said he could not remember the last time he saw chains.

I’ll post some picture later.
Thanks to every one. I will try the 2x4 trick, thanks!

Brian
1973 712M
IwanaPinz

Post by IwanaPinz »

By gosh I think I got it, I hope, well at least they didn't come off. :lol:

http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f204/ ... C01216.jpg

By the way, should I have chains for the front?
springhill

Post by springhill »

Your chains look good. You won't need them for the front untill the snow gets crusty! I never chain up all four in the back--maybe I should.
Growing Up is Optional"