Locable Storage Ideas

All things not relating to the other forums.
IwanaPinz

Locable Storage Ideas

Post by IwanaPinz »

Howdy,
Could anyone out there lend some ideas for lockable storage? (Other than the outside tool box)
I would like to have a place in the 712 where, when I leave it all alone, I can lock up a few valuables.
The canvas dosent seems to be a great deterrent to theft.

Thanks

Brian
1973 712M
Nothing says four wheel drive like six wheel drive.
Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

I have seen a lockable box that was made to ago long the side fenders of a truck installed in front of the seats in the rear. Some have gotten a large ammo box and mounted on the rear door then add a hasp to the latch on it. I have seen the Jerry can rack dropped a little and an ammo box installed in the now larger opening above the Jerry can. Tuffy makes a lot of locking stuff for Jeeps.

Good luck
pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

I have a couple of ammo cans with locks on them bolted to the rear of the seat section, right next to the seats. In fact, I bolted them to smaller ammo cans underneath the body, behind the tire. On the outside ones (which are almost invisible) I keep disposable items like the tire repair kit, zip ties, etc that I'm not worried about losing.
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

How much stuff are you trying to store? You willing to give up seating? Small stuff or large items?

Miles
IwanaPinz

Post by IwanaPinz »

I was thinking small stuff.
I was thinking about behind the driers seat.
But I am open to any and all ideas.

Stuffing things behind the seats just doesn't inspire confidence.
By the way I had my first drive in the snow with chains. OK, it wasn't as deep as you guys out West but here in PA a dusting this winter can be considered a blizzard. :D
Check out my Chains post for pic.

Thanks
Brian
1973 712M
Nothing says four wheel drive like six wheel drive.
krick3tt

storage

Post by krick3tt »

I got some mortar (ammo) cans off internet surplus store and use one, that I shortened, under the petrol tank for my tire chains and some tools.
Another went on the back door (inside) that I will use as a lockable storage.
I put a lock on the glove box, more to keep stuff in than people out. Last time on the trail it bounced open and stuff went all over the place.

Cheers,
Morris
710M
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

I made a drink holder and lockable console. It simply locks on the same as the original doghouse top. Simple to remove but criminals just don't seem to get it.
Mike
rla001

Post by rla001 »

That looks nice Mike, what kind of seats are those?

Rich A.
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

They are the usual CRX seats. I chose not to put them on sliders so I could get them lower than stock. They fasten into the truck in the same manner as the original. The seats can be installed in a few positions forward and back. This is simply done by removing the wing bolt and putting it in a different hole. I don't move it much as I am the main driver. The seat back do lean forward and back to get things out from behind the seats. There are a number of people who have installed these in their trucks. Some have cut the old seat sliders up and put the seats on them, I am not a big fan of cutting up the pinz factory parts. I checked a couple of different seats out and the ones in an early prelude will fit also. Alot of the prelude seats are leather(?). I have seen a set of Porsche seats that look real nice in the pinz and the sliders work from them. The older Porsche seat sliders lay sideways and are about 3/4 of an inch tall. This makes the seats the same height as stock and gives sliders. Of course they are a bit pricey and most need reupholstering.

I have a set of CRS knock off seats in the rear of my truck that I got from a guy on Ebay. Member ID speedindex similar item currently listed as item 230091672066 Of course I don't know the guy but the seats worked out well for some forward facing seats in the rear and would go into the front with the same brackets I built for mine.

A little long on the post but this should answer some of the questions you may have. I have picks of the brackets I made. I have made six or seven sets and they seem to be working well. Waiting for the last set to be installed to see how they fit on a newer honda seat. Hopefully he will chime in.
Mike
krick3tt

seats

Post by krick3tt »

I know this started out as storage thread but since it has gone to seats...will these fit a pinz?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-89-90 ... dZViewItem

If they will it seems to be a decent price. Even with the shipping.
I went to Honda and the price for 'new' CRX seats was quoted at around $3000. Blew me away. Not my idea of reasonable.

Cheers,
Morris
710M
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

My 712 came with a set of Beard seats and they fit nice, and fit my butt nice, others of more "body mass" :shock: had extreme difficulty getting in due to the side bolsters and steering wheel clearance. I sold them because the same bolsters ment I had to get even higher up in the truck to get in! On a good day back in the '70's I may have hit 5'8", and it is a fact you get shorter as you get older! I believe we are much like a Pinz except the Pinz STARTED with a low center of gravity! :x I prefer to hop up and slide over ,V.S. up-over and down!
Morris, check out some import bone yards,usually you can find the seats you want and have them recovered in your choice of materials at a SUBSTANTIAL savings! 8)
Beerbuzz weakening,must repower........
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

Morris
They are the same seat in different colors. You have to remember that the seats will require a bracket to adapt them to the Pinz. If you can do light fabrication it is very easy. The same type a seats are carried by Checker Auto Parts, depending on your location the shipping fee plus the cost of seat can actually be more than just picking them up at Checker. Several of the dealers have seats and can be a good deal if you have to have the seats reupholstered and pay to have the brackets made by a fab shop.
Eithere way I would list it as one of the higher priority upgrades just after tires. I drove my 710 (with stock seats) about ten miles the other day and quickly put my 712's seats in for this weekends outing.
Mike
pinzwheeling

Re: seats

Post by pinzwheeling »

krick3tt wrote:I know this started out as storage thread but since it has gone to seats...will these fit a pinz?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-89-90 ... dZViewItem

If they will it seems to be a decent price. Even with the shipping.
I went to Honda and the price for 'new' CRX seats was quoted at around $3000. Blew me away. Not my idea of reasonable.

Cheers,
Morris
710M
LOL, seats for $109, shipping for $159. Not such a great deal after shipping and tax.
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

This would require a bit of fabrication, but adds lockable space in some unsed space.

This could be done for all sections of the side panels that doesn't contain a rear seat back holder. There is about 1.5" of space available and though the space does limit what can be stored, it is out of the way and concealed when the seats are opened.

They also make lock kits for Ammo cans:

http://www.themagtool.com/ammocanlock.html
http://www.ammolock.com/store.html
http://www.imsplus.com/ims3.html Scroll down to bottom

Miles
PinzEOD

Post by PinzEOD »

Cool idea Miles. I'm going to give that idea a try, not so much for being lockable, but very handy for the 1/2 dozen tiedowns and such I always seem to have laying around in the back.
Mike Newton 1973 712M (sold)
I do not like this word "bomb." It is not a bomb. It is a device that is exploding. Jacques le Blanc