CB Ideas

All things not relating to the other forums.
STPPINZ

CB Ideas

Post by STPPINZ »

I am looking on installing a CB in the 712 and want to get a good unit. Any of you CB buffs have a good suggestion for a unit that is $50-$100, Cobra-Uniden-Radio Shack? Also what antanea set up would work good. I was thinking like a 20ft whip would be sweet. The fire stick I had on my last 710 did't work the best, even after tuning.

Thank for the help in advance.
Wimps Need Not Apply
Steve

Post by Steve »

A Uniden Grant made in the Philippines is a very good rig.

Also, if you have a Big Lots in your area, I noticed that they had a brand I'd never heard of for $20. Buy 2 or 3 for that price and pitch them when the smoke gets out.
STPPINZ

Post by STPPINZ »

I was thinking down that same road. I found a old style Cobra 40 channel for $35 off of ebay and yahoo. Pretty disposable at that price. I think my main concern is the antenna.
Wimps Need Not Apply
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

I believe the older units are much more stable than the new stuff. I have run a Uniden pro 500 for many years with no problems. One of the members put a new Uniden 550 in his truck which lasted about a month. I found an old realistic on Ebay for $10.00 that has been working fine in the Pinz for a couple years now. I have the 102" whip antenna which causes me some problems, contact with the metal top. I also had the fire stick which did not do well in the truck. The biggest thing is to get the antenna above the truck, must be why they put the antenna mount on top. Most of the members have had great success with the cheap magnetic mount antennas. When the low branches hit them they just simply fall over instead of breaking off.
Mike