Anyone offering a stainless heat shield for the muffler

All things not relating to the other forums.
milesdzyn

Anyone offering a stainless heat shield for the muffler

Post by milesdzyn »

Well I found some serious rust on my Pinz, Heat shield for the muffler. Would like to purchase a new heat shield but would like to find one made of stainless steel.

Miles
Kiwibru

Post by Kiwibru »

Miles, I'm not surprised no one answered...
It is probably do-able by a real good muffler or metal fab shop. If you remove the stock unit I will bet they can make one up out of s.s. with little trouble.
1975 710M
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

I guess we get spioled living in AZ. I don't understand all the need for SS products on the Pinz. A lot of money that is not needed here. The down side is it is difficult to find snow to play in. I guess you have to take the good with the bad.
Mike
todds112

Post by todds112 »

mjnims wrote:I guess we get spioled living in AZ. I don't understand all the need for SS products on the Pinz. A lot of money that is not needed here. The down side is it is difficult to find snow to play in. I guess you have to take the good with the bad.
You could have the best of both worlds here! Lots of snow to play in (usually). Still a dry climate though over all and they use NO SALT here. You see very little rust here surprisingly.

Of course those -20 stretches can kind of stink. :shock:
1973 712M
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

Yeah I live in the desert too but the Pinz doesn't want to stay here, I plan on going to many diffrent locations and enviroments, Alaska is on the list. I have found very little rust on my Pinz, but the two major areas that it showed up was rusted through.

The muffler heat shield is subjected to a lot of heat and water so I want to only have to replace it once, with minimal mantinence required. The other area was at the top edge of the metal gas tank protector. Guessing it was improperly sealed with paint plus it's just a water trap at that seam.

Just a note the body is coming off next week so I can start on the hard top. I've decided on aluminum side and rear panels, with a fiberglass wrapped foam top. Hoping that will keep the heat down in the back bed area. The cab will stay a soft top configuration.

Miles
Lots of Pinz pictures here.......
http://picasaweb.google.com/pinzgauer.depository.1

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

I noticed a big difference when I put the insulated hard top on the rear of my 712. The back is almost bareable in the summer. I put a piece of foil bubble insulation under the front canvas and that helps keep the cab under control, not as nice as Mark's set up but it works for me.
Mike
Kiwibru

Post by Kiwibru »

Well, having grown up in the dry deserts of Idaho I can relate to "little rust".
Moving to the Puget Sound and an island in the middle of it changed my whole outlook. We are lucky to have three months in which the humidity drops to below 50%! The "R" word has two connotations, rain and rust. Of course the ocean humidity with the "S" component doesn't help. Around here if you want a quickly destroyed piece of any machine just leave it in the out of doors! Give it a roof and you can add a few years but you have to look for un-painted steel all the time...sigh. S.S. makes sense around here and I use a lot of fasteners made of it along with lots of Rust Bullet and paint.
1975 710M
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Miles,
I would be very interested in your hard top project,please send some pics as it comes along 8) .
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

Mark...I will post as I can, still have some research to do on materials and techniques of manufacture. This is where my thoughts are in theory.

Miles
Lots of Pinz pictures here.......
http://picasaweb.google.com/pinzgauer.depository.1

'73 Pinzgauer 712M