710 cargo rack

All things not relating to the other forums.
mjnims

710 cargo rack

Post by mjnims »

Decided to make my cargo rack for the 710.

Mike
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

I'm following you when you drive your 710, :shock: That rack will plow the limbs nicely to clear my a/c! Looks good,do you have a support at the rear to minimize the stress at the windshield frame.? :)
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

Mike....I can't help seeing how you have set up the mount points at the pivot and forward mounts at the top of the windshield frame. If you had a rest point in the rear that could be locked down with a quick release, and made a pivot point just behind the front support. Say take a line behind the windshield straight up to find the pivot point. You could still have a fold down windshield without having to remove the rack.

Miles
Lots of Pinz pictures here.......
http://picasaweb.google.com/pinzgauer.depository.1

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

Mark
I tied the rear into the antenna mount. The outside corners are really very stiff. I am not looking to put over 70#'s or so on top anyway.
I am not usre it will clear enough branches to do any good for the AC unit. It is only 3" taller than the antenna mount. As far as following me you might want to reconsider that even in the 712 and roll cage.

Miles
Yeah, Looked at making it release from the front but then I considered how many times I have put my windshields down and figured it was nto worth my time. The rear corner supports down to the roll bar were also considered but they just don't work out. The rack would have to be wider or the supports have to be bent inward to meet up with the rack.

One thing I did choose to do was leave the tubes open to the rear so I can add a support system for a solar screen to cover the rear passengers. The original canvas system is so low that it is difficult to see out the sides when the rear top is on.

I bent the front support this time but think it would look better if the lines were kept angular, similar to the windshield frame. Just an after thought and seeing it in real life.
Mike
pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

The only thing I'd be concerned with is adding even more weight to the front. Not in daily driving, but going down obstacles could definately get more interesting!
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

I don't have the reat top or the rear roll bar on so I am about the same weight and don't think the added weight will be much concern. I guess pics in the near future will be the real tell-tell sign.
I have a Yakima rack and a front door rack on a hard top on my 712 and have not come close to laying it over with the added weight. I don't let little things like this slow me down on the trails.
Mike
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

Mike...Your design has given me some ideas for my exo or I should say modified exo now. I want to keep a solid exo skeleton around the rear since it will be a hard top in the rear, but now I want to setup the front as a break away based off your rack design. Since I want the front cab area to retain the original canvas top and folding windshield, this will solve a lot of issues I was running into. Thanks for posting your design.

Miles
Lots of Pinz pictures here.......
http://picasaweb.google.com/pinzgauer.depository.1

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

Miles
The constant ideas that flow from this and other forums can be a problem sometimes. There are so many good ideas and thoughts that can be incorperated into designs. The cargo rack I made is actually a design from the Pinz accessory pages of my repair manual. I believe it must have been a concept as the rear corner supports don't work out the way they are depicted in the drawings.
I find it interesting that it also listed two different types of reinforced front bumpers and brush guards for the 710/712 trucks. Kind of puts a different light on the thoughts that the front bumperettes are the only way to go. The reinforced bumpers are one piece and the brush guards are very similar to those on T-los bumpers.
Mike
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

:shock: :? 8) ( have not come close to laying it over ) :lol: :lol:
Just remember ,it's just like getting drunk and getting laid.. :? ....There's always a first time! :D :D I just wanna be there with camera in hand! 8)
XOXOX, :shock:
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy