I need suggestions on a general purpose towing vehicle

All things not relating to the other forums.
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

personally I went with an older ford 350 ('01) crew cab 4x4 so I could have the bigger diesel. With it chipped and beefed up tranny I can pull anything my heart desires but it is a large truck. I use this as my daily (when not driving one of my pinzies) driver. With the trucks chip set at #3 position I get 22mpg empty, which for me is more than doable. I can run the chip on #5 or #6 setting depending on the road conditions and still clear 20mpg's. I know not everyone can put up with a larger truck, parking and city driving and all but sure is nice the rest of the time.
Not sure if you are in a HOA or not but some don't allow 3/4T trucks so that would also be a consideration. Don P uses a 1T van that hauls his 712 all over the place, again this might not be the best platform but sure gives lots of space inside.
andy

Post by andy »

I have an '02 diesel F-250 and a '08 gas F-250. Even with 187K miles on it, the diesel gets way better gas mileage than the newer gasser.

Dave, I could be wrong, but I seem to remember reading awhile back that Ford is fixin' to put a diesel in their F-150s supposedly this year.
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

4x4 I'd love to chat with you tomorrowon the phone about fords if you don't mind. Very curious.
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

I just test drove a new F-350 diesel and a Ram 2500. Anyone with trucking knowledge have a preference between the two (with regards to towing a Pinz, of course- to keep it proper for this forum!)
andy

Post by andy »

I would dearly like to have one of the new F-250's, but I am waiting to see what the feedback will be on the new Ford designed diesel, so that I can properly decided if the truck is worthy of trailering one of my Pinzes.

The last two diesels Ford had, after the 7.3 were not worthy.
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Looking at a diesel excursion with 49k miles on it. There are a few duallies around with less than 100k but severe excess for what I need.